A way to learn how to play..

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
airzonk

A way to learn how to play..

Post by airzonk »

Thanks all for your beginner reccomendations :D

This might irk some people, but seeing as 2d shooters are absolutely frustrating sometimes and I am new to playing them seriously, I have a method to suggest to newbies:

Get emulators and use save states (save anytime in the game).. that way, you can quickly learn how it works + enemy patterns and improve your reflexes without having to go through parts of levels you've already mastered.

What do you think? Sure helped make me 1000% better in one day...

beat winds of thunder( the actual import SuperCD), Gate of Thunder's next :D

Red makes awesome shooters. Whassup with them? I know Konami just bought Hudson Soft (! Power duo)...

Gabe
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

dude! thats so funny. Well done you take the award for best comedy of the day.

i trust you wont be entering any of your highscores using said method into the highscores thread....

Best way to get good is practice mate.

Wait a minute - i've just realised you were taking the piss, and i just gone and fell for it. Well done again! :lol:
airzonk

what i meant was

Post by airzonk »

yes, of course this is cheating but only to learn concepts... i do a dry run through the level once i've mastered it :-)

and of course this is only practice--i'm already a lot better than i was this morning! as soon as i have more practice then i'm abandoning this method.

no, no high scores this way :-)

-G
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

In all kinds of training there is only one rule.

Use whatever method brings results.

Keep it up man.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

No piss taking here. BernD's been using this same method for a while. Use save states and replays to perfect a run, then try to replicate it in real time.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
Venom

Post by Venom »

It works no doubt. Going through on savestates for a 1LC will give you at least some way to deal with things. Some other ways are: building - master a section at a time, then add later ones; quick dirty clear, then work on score; bomb plans. Whatever works for you.
Fascination...
airzonk

It's working

Post by airzonk »

Yeah, already I'm getting a lot better (and my hands ache!) and, for example, with Lords of Thunder the thought of -continuing- to use savestates is appalling. Now that 2d shooters don't seem impossible I want the challenge =)

I'm trying to play Gate of Thunder through without using save states, but we'll see.

:-)

Gabe