New to PCB stuff....(help)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hardstepah

New to PCB stuff....(help)

Post by Hardstepah »

how do i run this stuff? is there a machine that you can just switch games out in? basically i want to start collecting pcbs i just want to know how the whole pcb thing works.
overkill55

Re: New to PCB stuff....(help)

Post by overkill55 »

Hardstepah wrote:how do i run this stuff? is there a machine that you can just switch games out in? basically i want to start collecting pcbs i just want to know how the whole pcb thing works.
Well, generally PCBs run in an arcade cabinet. It would do you good to research topics here about superguns, which function similar to cabs. What you are asking is extremely general.
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

This belongs in hardware.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

PCBs are based on the JAMMA standard. There are other later standards (like JVS) but those are limited to a few arcade hardware platforms you probably won't get into from the start.

First thing to realize is that PCBs were not ment to be swapped in/out like games in a home console. They are fragile boards with chips and components exposed and sensitive to static electricity, so they have to be handled very carefully. The more you "swap" them in/out the greater chance they will break. They are only ment for operators to carefully "install" into arcade cabinets (which adhere to the JAMMA standard). Each game may have different button requirements or screen resolution/frequency requirements. As such, the installation for PCBs will require setup of the cabinet.

As mentioned in the previous post, for home use, some people who don't have the room or money to buy a real arcade cabinet will settle for a "SuperGun" which is a device that interfaces an arcade PCB to your home TV. So this is much more like a console type device, but the same issues surface with number of buttons, what refresh rates your TV will accept (some games will cut off part of the image on your TV), sound requirements, and so on.

Its a great hobby to get into, but requires patients, understanding, and most of all, money.
Hardstepah

Post by Hardstepah »

thanx dave that clears things up a bit
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

By dipping your toes into the arcade Jamma PCB hobby, it is best to start off with getting some cheap PCBs for starters... ^_~

You might get lucky and score a complete PCB kit for a mere $20-30+ range...it just depends on what your favorite arcade game genre is though. Be prepared to spend some serious $$$ if you want to get the classic Cave arcade shmup PCBs like: Donpachi, DoDonpachi, ESP.ra.de, Dangun Feveron/Fever SOS, Guwange, Progear No Arashi, etc.

Some of the classic mid 1980's arcade game PCBs are Jamma standard including Capcom's 1986 HyperDyne SideArms (for both JPN and USA region versions), Konami's 1987 A-Jax (for JPN & USA region versions -- is known as "Typhoon" for Europe), Slap Fight/Alcon (for JPN & USA region versions respectively), etc.

You can make the arcade shmup PCB hobby as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be -- if you feel like spending $2,200 USD for a brand new Cave DDP-FK PCB kit to get the ball rolling, then more power to you... ^_~

Just remember that you can't get Cave's DoDonpachi Special Campaign Version PCB, that one is the one DDP PCB variant that some shmuppers would move "Heaven & Earth" to get their hands on one... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
undamned

Post by undamned »

A caveat to what has already been said is that not all PCB's are JAMMA standard. Most of the signals are the same (i.e. low resolution RGB video signals have been used since pacman), but the connection to the cabinet uses a different wiring scheme. The old non/pre-JAMMA boards can usually just have a wiring harness made up so that you can still run them on a JAMMA compatible setup.

Just wanted to clearify so people don't go buying just any PCB and assume it will work with their supergun/cabinet.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:a complete PCB kit for a mere $20-30+ range...
Lol you have the most wishful thinking when it comes to prices

For the record, I do agree with you on DDP: Campaign being the holy grail, as do most shooter fans
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Good words undamned, especially coming right after PCEF-X's post listing a bunch of old non-JAMMA Capcom games. So to Hardsteve, make sure you do your homework before you buy, and have fun! It's a nice hobby for sure. It will help a lot if you have some basic electronic repair knowledge too.
undamned

Post by undamned »

overkill55 wrote:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=20477
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

undamned wrote:
overkill55 wrote:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=20477
-ud
Yeah, I suppose if idiots are selling, who knows what could happen...