Going to play Radiant Silvergun for the first time

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LoneSage

Going to play Radiant Silvergun for the first time

Post by LoneSage »

Whoo, came in the mail today...got it from Asmoday on neo-geo.com for $180 shipped and it's in mint condition.

Impressions to come!
Ord

Post by Ord »

When i first played it Radiant Silvergun it blew me away! That was when it was first released of course. I doubt it will have the same impact on you now, but i really hope it does as it is utterly fantastic.
I guess it would be hard to just enjoy the game without having all the hype that RS gets going through your head, but at the time i didn't even read one review of RS and i just didn't know what to expect.
In some ways i envy you.
Last edited by Ord on Fri May 13, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Enjoy the Holy Grail of Saturn shmups!! :lol:

Lucky you....
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Put a diaper on in case you crap yourself playing it. The first time is that amazing.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It doesn't really get interesting till the final level.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

It had better be in mint condition for $180.00!!!!!

I don't think you'll need any diapers though...maybe some tissues to wipe the tears from all the damn hype!!!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

It is an amazing shooter. Just try to erase all the hype from your mind before you play it and just think to yourself this is going to be one awesome Treasure game. Cuz it is.

I'll never forget the first time I played it way back in February 2000 when i finally got my modded Saturn. Played Souky for the first time also that night, talk about a sensory overload of shooter goodnesss.
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

One hundred and eighty dollars....

Wow.

<picks jaw off floor>
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

obxStorm wrote:One hundred and eighty dollars....

Wow.

<picks jaw off floor>
Why do you think I call it the Holy Grail of Saturn shmups? :lol: Because it is nigh impossible to obtain for the remotely sane.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

To prepare myself to play Radiant Silvergun, for a few weeks I calmed myself down about it to lower my anticipation. I acted as if it were just another game – I didn’t want to falsify what I thought of it due to high hype.

So it turns out that I find RSG to be nothing special.

I got to the second ‘real’ boss (I say ‘real’ because the game’s pretty much a bossfest so far; it can be difficult to discern which boss is the boss and which is just a miniboss). The graphics look like they’ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.

The best qualities of this game I find so far is the extreme difficulty and the ability to switch other weapons; my favorite button combination for a weapon is A+B, with those lasers that look like the miniboss’s lasers in the third level of Ikaruga.

The anime cinemas actually look kinda funny. I think I’ll go to that RSG Translation site now and see what those guys were talking about.

Anyways, yeah, so far Radiant Silvergun is hu-hum.

HU-HUM.

But oh yeah, that combo system sure is neat-o.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

The graphics look like they’ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.
Baloney, I think they have aged fine. Using this argument I suppose I should tell R-TYPE Delta fans that game's visuals have aged like crap?

The use of 3D and 2D art in RS was melded very nicely IMHO and stretched the Saturn hardware admirably. On the PS1 it woulda been blur city, there's a reason Crave opted not to port it. Also, the light effetcs on some of the explosions are crisp and beautiful.

To each their own on the gameplay though, I can understand why boss hunts aren't for everyone.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'd agree that there are some aspects of the graphics which look antiquated now, but imho a lot of the stuff, especially on the 2D end, holds up quite nicely. I'm also curious that you didn't mention the sound...that piece of the game tends to rely on whether or not you don't mind classical-type stuff in a shmup, or demand fast-paced techno stuff all the time. As for the anime/plot, it's ridiculous and pretentious, the same as a lot of Treasure's other plots; just boil it down to "blow up similarly colored stuff, good things happen" and leave it at that. :P

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic in mentioning the chaining system...some people love it, some people despise it...
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Dylan1CC wrote:
The graphics look like they’ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.
Baloney, I think they have aged fine. Using this argument I suppose I should tell R-TYPE Delta fans that game's visuals have aged like crap?

The use of 3D and 2D art in RS was melded very nicely IMHO and stretched the Saturn hardware admirably. On the PS1 it woulda been blur city, there's a reason Crave opted not to port it. Also, the light effetcs on some of the explosions are crisp and beautiful.

To each their own on the gameplay though, I can understand why boss hunts aren't for everyone.
IMHO RSG is one of the best looking games EVER.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I hope I didn't sound cranky Sage. Anyways, as BM said they are "antiquated" now, yes. But I still like 'em in the sense of how well they're executed for the Saturn's limitations. The animation itself on the bosses is quite impressive too IMHO. Look at how the mech dragon bobs, slithers and weaves.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

professor ganson wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:

IMHO RSG is one of the best looking games EVER.
Agreed. It's also tied with Garegga for my fave shmups of all time.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

LoneSage wrote:To prepare myself to play Radiant Silvergun, for a few weeks I calmed myself down about it to lower my anticipation. I acted as if it were just another game ? I didn?t want to falsify what I thought of it due to high hype.

So it turns out that I find RSG to be nothing special.

I got to the second ?real? boss (I say ?real? because the game?s pretty much a bossfest so far; it can be difficult to discern which boss is the boss and which is just a miniboss). The graphics look like they?ve aged terribly; yet another polygonal game from the PS1-dominated era that looks like rubbish.

The best qualities of this game I find so far is the extreme difficulty and the ability to switch other weapons; my favorite button combination for a weapon is A+B, with those lasers that look like the miniboss?s lasers in the third level of Ikaruga.

The anime cinemas actually look kinda funny. I think I?ll go to that RSG Translation site now and see what those guys were talking about.

Anyways, yeah, so far Radiant Silvergun is hu-hum.

HU-HUM.

But oh yeah, that combo system sure is neat-o.
Yes! You should join our case

"Radiant Silvergun is the MOST OVERRATED SHMUP EVER!"
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

LoneS: I guess you can look at the $180.00 as one big ass deposit. Once you're done with the game (which it sounds like you soon may be) you can just list it on eGouge and pretty much get all your money back. It's not like the game has been depreciating. But keep your eyes on the prices - I smell an RSG bubble!
raiden

Post by raiden »

But keep your eyes on the prices - I smell an RSG bubble!
why, all of a sudden? Prices have been constant for about 5 years now, and it doesn´t seem like the game is about to be rereleased.
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

raiden wrote:
But keep your eyes on the prices - I smell an RSG bubble!
why, all of a sudden? Prices have been constant for about 5 years now, and it doesn´t seem like the game is about to be rereleased.
Just tryin' to be funny - what with all the real estate bubble talk and all.

Carry on.
futurespa

Post by futurespa »

It's old.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

futurespa wrote:It's old.
:roll:
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I got my copy last saturday

All I have to say is IT IS NOT OVERATED! best £82 quid I ever spent not looking back at all.

visuals have aged well! I think it looks in many ways better than the games on the dreamcast.

Weapon system is what I've been after for 2 years, finally a game a bit like thunder force 4 only better. I wish I had picked this up years ago Its reignited my passion for gaming I played my first session 7 hours straight!

Beaten arcade mode a few times and damn! love it. Saturn mode rocks with the extra fights and level in. I reckon I'll get at least 50 hours in on this soon.

Only critiscim I have is ship speed, All I thought was ''Oh crap its a boat'' then I got better and sorted out timing for those narrow sections where you chase ''Gallops?'' Unfortunately my action replay cart is dead so I have to buy a japanese model with step down adaptor. Good job after 50 hrs you can make the ship faster So i gave it

9.5 out of 10. Best Shmup I ever played hands down.

Yeah I think the hype around the game really adds to the experience you just know its incredible when those clouds meld perfectly.

As for the polygons

Yes they are a bit chunky however they are bloody solid like panzer dragoon sagas not that watery crap in 32 bit systems. I like em suit the game well. boss wise yeah theres a lot but its all good stuff attaclks are that varied they are a joy to fight.
Vidi Vici Veni
TVG

Post by TVG »

i never played radiant silvergun, and dont plan to (had the chance the other day but preferred just to look)
yet its one of the games i hate the most, not because of the game itself but because of the morons that make it seem like radiant silvergun renders other shooters obsolete.
i also hate ikaruga for that, but a bit less. i like playing ikaruga tho, and will probably try to masteer it once i get something decent to play the DC games with(read: NOT the DC controller piece of crap)
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

RSG is indeed an awesome game, but it in no way renders other games obsolete. It's also a bit long to caually pull out for short sessions.

Also Sage, as I told you elsewhere, you should try playing beyond the 3rd stage. The game really picks up from there.

Also, the game will actually make you better at shmups. Shot patterns always appear in seemingly impossible spreads, but they always encourage you to use your small hitbox to weave through the gaps as often as possible.

Since I played RSG, my weaving skills have improved in just about every other shmup as well.
SO GET BACK TO WORK AND PLAY MORE :P
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Only other game i've played that made me feel terrible at shmups was my first go on garegga.

Must've died 50 times easilly in arcade mode first play, compared to the 30 continues :!: I used in garegga :arrow: (PLAYING WITH KEYBOARD) lol :roll:

Now I'm 1 lifing the thing until the 3rd stage somewhere.
Vidi Vici Veni
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

The vagrant wrote:its one of the games i hate the most, not because of the game itself but because of the morons that make it seem like radiant silvergun renders other shooters obsolete.
That's a really fucking stupid reason to "hate" a video game. Especially one that, by your own admission, you've never played. Good show, slugger.
TVG

Post by TVG »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
The vagrant wrote:its one of the games i hate the most, not because of the game itself but because of the morons that make it seem like radiant silvergun renders other shooters obsolete.
That's a really fucking stupid reason to "hate" a video game. Especially one that, by your own admission, you've never played. Good show, slugger.
if you knew how to read, you'd have noticed how i "hate" ikaruga, yet im saying that i like playing it and will try to master it.
does that make sense to some you? i dont really hate the game as i hate the hype it gets from morons that dont play shmups nor RS, i tought it would be obvious to anyone, not like "anyone" lacks comprehension skills.

but im really not interested in RS, ive seen it plenty, both in video footage and IRL now, and i dont think its something ill enjoy playing as it seems to borrow more from super aleste type games than arcade shooters.

ikaruga is fine however.
still hate how any shmup related discussion in some forums ends about how X game looks 16 bit, and how ikaruga is the second coming because you can PERFECT CHAIN WOW WASFGL
Rob

Post by Rob »

The vagrant wrote: it seems to borrow more from super aleste type games than arcade shooters.
You've read my mind.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

You know, eventually I will have to get Radient Silvergun, seeing as I now own a Saturn and all, but I think I'm going to save it for last. Go out with a BANG you know? :twisted:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Of course RSG is overrated to some extent; you've got to pay a king's ransom to get ahold of it. But that doesn't mean it's any less of a good game than if it had been relegated to obscurity. Saying that you're not particularly interested in it based on what you've heard and said is one thing; openly bashing something you've never actually played is another. In the case of both it and Ikaruga you might make your opinion clearer if you say you "hate" the disproportionate hype that surrounds these games, rather than the games themselves...at least that's what I gather you mean.