RQ: Using Shiki 2's Difficult Characters

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
freddiebamboo

RQ: Using Shiki 2's Difficult Characters

Post by freddiebamboo »

While browsing through the recently updated arcadia score lists - noticed that the WR's for the more awkward characters are very close to the records for the popular choices.

http://www.aiva.emuita.it/gamest.php?pag=S

It's hard to fathom how these scores are made with such difficult attacks they use. Does anyone have any superplays or even tips on using the fumikos/roger/niigi/hyuuga?
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Answering my own question here - but who cares:

Niigi 1 seems to be by far the easiest to use out of the bunch. As mentioned in the high score board she has a very easy run through the bosses, but also isn't too hard to x8 with.

Niigi 1

Scoring x8 in Stages (Basic)

90% of the time you should be using the shiki attack. Everytime you absorb a bullet, half a second or so later it is shot out to the nearest enemy. The more bullets you can get on screen, the more you can absorb and scrape for x8. Her shiki has a tendency to clear too many bullets leaving no close opportunities to scrape for a x8 (especially on earlier stages), so when moving up through bullets remember to leave a couple to track back down the screen for your x8 bonus on the coins. Due to the half second-ish gap between absorbing and firing bullets, you should have a small amount of time to move to a nearby bullet for the x8 just after you absorb. The shiki has a small downtime where you have no shielding, so use this time to lead bullets and plan what bullets to take and where to scrape. Also, try not to blow up enemies with the top of the shield (although it is tempting) as it is very hard to be moving up screen and still x8 (enemies killed in this way will instantly throw coins back at you and your distance to them will probably not be enough for a x8 with).

Bosses (Basic)

Pretty simple really, you use the normal fire and go to shiki when they are about to lose a life bar for the x8 + coins. Normal fire is rather strong and your character moves at a nice stately pace. If you need extra speed go to her shiki which moves her faster and shields you. Bosses after 3-2 can be shiki-ed as needed if you get into a tight spot (5-1 and 5-2 become rather easy when constantly using shiki, although use normal fire when you can to kill quicker). Her bomb is very strong but hard to aim if you are not directly under the boss. It's best to plan a bomb strategy to get rid of attacks you'd rather not dodge before hand, as opposed to panic bombing. The last attack of 2-2 and the second form of 4-1 and 4-2 are prime candidates here for a crafty bomb.

This is just what I've observed and I've not seen any replays of a good niigi 1 so this could be complete crap, so if I got something wrong please say something :wink:
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Bumping an old thread, but I just started playing this and I sure need help playing with characters other than Kuga and Kim.

Does anyone have any superplay videos of the other characters, especially Fumiko and Sayo? Tips to score properly with them is welcome too, though I'd prefer to see videos.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

A youtube user called heniadir has uploaded a roger 1 replay here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV_uCiS8NFQ

and a Niigi 2 one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bUAIstXUg

Unfortunately I've never seen a high level replay for Fumiko or Sayo.