GD: Donpachi/DoDonpachi ship selection

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Daedalus

GD: Donpachi/DoDonpachi ship selection

Post by Daedalus »

I saw that this was lightly covered in a previous strategy topic, but I was curious as to everyone's opinion. (Forgive me if it's been done to death elsewhere on the forum). But, do you think there is a particular best or worst ship for these games? Why do you choose the ship that you do?

I ask because I learned to play with ship B... and I like it. But it seems that most people prefer type A or C, and most of the high scores posted are with those ships. A couple high scores show it is possible to do well with the B ship, but I'm wondering if the ship itself has any merit or if these scores are simply good players working through a disadvantage.
Stan

Post by Stan »

As far as I know the WR for Donpachi was done using Type B.
I guess it is easier to keep up the chain due to its wider range for shot.
zlk

Post by zlk »

The new donpachi WR is with the A ship.

The old world records for the A/B ship were really close. Now the A ship record is about 12m points higher. That may have nothing to do with the ship itself and more do to with the fact that sof-wtn is playing with the A-ship. :D

I have been told that using the c-ship in donpachi makes the 2-3 capacity bonus impossible to get. "The c-ship is just too slow" is what one player told me. That is why the old record was always 5-6m points lower than the scores of the A/B ship.
lgb

Post by lgb »

I usually choose A. B is okay too. C is just a bit too "out there". This goes for both games.
Daedalus wrote:but I'm wondering if the ship itself has any merit or if these scores are simply good players working through a disadvantage.
I would think it's a combination of both.