GD: NES Star Soldier: Bonus Points, Warp & Laser Weapon

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SAM

GD: NES Star Soldier: Bonus Points, Warp & Laser Weapon

Post by SAM »

The NES version of Star Soldier is best play for scores in time limited game, something like Caravan mode. But rats this game doesn't got that mode built in.

Anyway, a ST for this game would be cool but I didn't know that much about it. Let's start a GD and have us all share the knowage.

I got most of the information here from a half-ass guide of the game. It is half-ass because it only tells you half of the story every time, and have you figure out the other half yourself....

Bonus Point:
As far as I know there are 4 kinds of bonus points you could earn.

(1) 'Z'
There are six 'Z' in each stages, kinds of like the bee in DDP, destruction of them yield progressive more points.

Code: Select all

1st       5oo
2nd     1.ooo
3rd     4,ooo
4th    1o,ooo
5th    4o,ooo
6th    8o,ooo
--------------
Total 135.5oo
==============
Like in DDP they are initial hidden, If you shoot at them they appears and then destroy.

(2) "Big Blue Head"
I am talking about midboss like enemy show up in four parts and then combined at the middle of the screen.

It was said if you destroy it before it combined you would award an extra 8o,ooo points. It also said that you could only damage its upper two parts before it is combined.

I couldn't able to earn this bonus by shooting at it....

(3) Big Eyes
There is a pair of big eye at the end of each stage. It was said that if you destroy them at the some time, you would award a 8o,ooo points bonus.

Obviously you would need 5-ways to pull this trick, but I never able to do this....

(4) Milon & Whale

The hidden blocks, Milon (Milon of Milon's Secret Castle), is said to be hidden somewhere in stage 2, 4 & 7. Awarding 4o,ooo points each.

The hidden blocks showing a whale, is said to be hidden somewhere in stage 3 & 5. Awarding 4o,ooo points each.

Whether bonus blocks shown up got something to do with the value of the digits of your scores.

Let's see...

3o,ooo for getting through the stagee
+ 135,5oo for six 'Z'
+ 8o,ooo for destory the "big eyes" at the same time
That's is 245,5oo for each stage

Assume "Big Blue Head" shown up every three stages

So Theoretical Max Scores is...

245,5oo x16
+ 8o,ooo x5 for "Big Blue Head"
+ 4o,ooo x3 for Milon
+ 4o,ooo x2 for Whale

That's 4,528,ooo without looping back by allowing the Star Brain escape.

Warp

You could skip stage if you find the hidden 'W' somewhere at stage 1, 5 & 9. The 3rd and 4th digits of your scores have to be the same when you try to reveal the hidden 'W' by shooting at it.

Laser Weapon

The Laser Power up would show up at Stage 6, at the corresponding position at the opposite side of the 5th 'Z'.

It's seems that you have to press the select button once before you start hitting it.

Once you got it, you could press select to switch back to normal shoot and switch back to laser by pressing select again. You retain the ability to fire laser even you die.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I can absoluely confirm the destroy the four piece blue head before assembly bit does award the claimed 80,000 point bonus. easiest with 5 way and a rapid fire button.

I haven't confirmed the eye bit.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

StrategyWiki has an excellent guide here :

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Soldier

It has screenshots to show you exactly where everything is!
SWY: Games are just for fun