28, and still shmuppin'!!...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Happy b-day~

You're never too old to game. I read a rather heartwarming article about people in nursing homes playing NES games a while back... the author was rather moved when some of the old people started bragging about doing stuff like beating Dragon Warrior without equipping weapons. "Old people are hardcore." :lol:

Game on till you can't game no more, I say! 8)
ryosnk

Post by ryosnk »

Congrats on your B-day and those are some nive gifts :D .
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

You know, my grandma other day tried to play Darius 2 on Saturn.

As far as I know, she never had hold a joystick before. She's 80 years old. This was indeed interesting to watch... I thought she would have no idea of what to do, but she even managed to dodge the first wave of enemies. (Either by luck or skill, I dunno). I know she was shooting stuff, and moving the ship all around... she didn't last 1 minute, but I think she was really happy of trying that out.

Anyway, happy bday dave! If you are 2-8 now, next year you will have finished both loops!

(Heh, crap joke, I know)
system11

Post by system11 »

Galaxius wrote:Hell yeah! I've been playing games for 25-odd years, and I'm still kicking ass. Who said us older guys have faulty reflexes? :lol:

Happy birthday!
Mine are shot to pieces now.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Alluro wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: I'm now the big 3-5...feels pretty good though, as I actually got I.D'd when I purchased the beer!!! Now thats FUNNY!!!!! (happends alot actually)
I generally look around ten years younger than I'am.
I don't drink, but the whole age thing happens to me a lot. I also generally look about 10 years younger than I am. Add in the fact that I am about 5'6" (about the height of the average 15-year-old male), I sometimes get mistaken for a high-schooler. People usually say I look about 18-21.
Ok this must be some weird shmup thing that is keeping us younger looking, as I get carded all the time, and new people I meet at my work always think I'm a college intern. I'm 36 (turning 37 in November).

Oh, and happy belated b-day to you fellow Dave.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I don't know maybe Nemo is 8 after all nemo is a childrens book name.
We could ask him to post pictures of himself but then child protection agencies could pull a michael jackson on shmups dot com if he really is that young lol.

I'm 20 in a few months already got a few white hairs, ah well I'm in good shape and thats that, probably all that stress from trying to 1CC border down in manic. Can't think of anything I'd want though, maybe cheaper insurance :D

Happy B-Day, I'm going to play games until the day I die, I plan to be the old guy in competitions who combos the shit out of younger players, like the 90 year old marathon runner who keeps on running.
Vidi Vici Veni
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

bloodflowers wrote:
Galaxius wrote:Hell yeah! I've been playing games for 25-odd years, and I'm still kicking ass. Who said us older guys have faulty reflexes? :lol:

Happy birthday!
Mine are shot to pieces now.
Sorry to hear that, but I hope that your enjoyment of the games has fared better.

It's nice to see so many players in my age group. I've heard, that the average age of todays gamer is around 29.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Galaxius wrote:I've heard, that the average age of todays gamer is around 29.
83.4% of all statistics are fabricated.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Dave, you should think that you still have your best gaming years ahead of you. At any rate, at the age of 35 I'm certainly thinking that way. In my own case I didn't play games from age 16 to 31 (too busy with school, etc.), so I don't have the perception that my skills have declined. But look: even if much of your enjoyment from gaming is all about confronting a challenge, and even if your ability to meet past goals becomes impossible, you can still have great fun with new goals adjusted to your new skill-level.
All of this is obvious; what is less obvious is my claim that your best years are ahead. Why do I say this? Because there will be even more awesome games to choose from and hopefully even more time to play them. Yes, when I retire, I'm going to put some serious time into Mushi.
professor ganson

Re: 28, and still shmuppin'!!...

[quote="dave4shmups"] I know I've said "I'll get such-and-such and that'll be it", but, especially with the Freeloader and the Gameboy Player; there's SO much to like about the Cube! And I really like the XBOX controllers Microsoft has on the systems now a LOT better then the original controllers-plus it has great Sega support, and we may yet see Xyanide! :D
[quote]

Just got the Freeloader, and now that Chaos Field is coming here, there are no shmups for me to import (already have Star Soldier and Shiki). So, although this is OT:
Are there any non-shmups that are worth importing for the GCN? What were you interested in possibly importing, Dave?
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Just like to join in and say:

Happy Birthday Dave!

Oh and you still have some very good shmupping years ahead of you!
Experience will grow with the years and is almost as important as quick reflexes.
Last edited by Super Laydock on Tue May 10, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Happy birthday, man!

You know, there are forums that let you write birthdate in your data and automatically inform users of currently available birthdays.

Not that's it's something crucial, but could be fun.
X - P - B
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

captain ahar wrote:i'll leave it up to Nemo to divulge, but he is stretching (read: not telling) the truth.
Yup, his teachers say he acts immature for his age!
Last edited by CMoon on Tue May 10, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

28? Happy birthday, kiddo. :wink:

Man I wish I was 28 again...
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Andi wrote:Of course, I'm especially suspicious of stuff like this - I lie about my age, sex, race, etc. all the time on the internet. It's fun.
it is fun, and Nemo is having a blast.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Well i'm 34 going on 35 in November and i'm still blasting away!
Happy birthday Dave. :)
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
umi

Post by umi »

wtf... gullible people on here :P 8? helloooo?

Umm, happy birthday dave, good name btw :P Wish I got presents like that, but that would be kind of boring anyway, because I buy that stuff myself. ;) Other people buy me stuff I actually need... like shoes! (not joking) Lollerskates~
lmn4096

Post by lmn4096 »

happy b-day Dave :)

and nice to see that I'm not that old after all.
turned 3-5 10 days ago 1st of may :D
SPACE HARRIER

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

CHEERS!! :wink:
Image = = = = = = =
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

38 here, kids. I still have my "Numb Thumb Club" iron-on decal from my 2600 days...somewhere. River Raid was my bitch!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I like crayons.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nemo wrote:I like eating crayons.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Sundance wrote:Your never to old to game.
Tell that to my folks. I also just turned 28 here about a month ago, and they think it's ridiculous that I have 12 game systems connected to my TV, and even more ridiculous that I still play them and spend money on games.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a hobby that I enjoy and it's fulfilling in an odd sort of way. I'm not one of those guys that watches football all the time, or one of those guys who is on 3 bowling leagues, or one of those guys who gets involved in every local political or civic cause he can. I game - that's what I like to do. Sometimes it's a bit frustrating when people can't just let you have a hobby.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Thats their opinion FRO, let em have it! (Yea, kick their asses!!!) actually, I meant , let them have their opinions. They won't change anyway.

Some people play with model trains,RC-Cars/boats/planes, some people collect baseball cards.
Big fuggin deal...to each is own. What ever makes you happy, Ace.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Damn, some of youse guys are old. 28 in July myself.
A bit late, but Happy Birthday Dave :D
professor ganson

Nemo wrote:I like crayons.
Is Nemo really 8 years old, or is he just a cop making sure that there are no perverts on the shmup boards?