RQ:A couple strategies for Change Air Blade VS Mode

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
ForteMP3

RQ:A couple strategies for Change Air Blade VS Mode

Post by ForteMP3 »

Let's face it. This game is all about the VS mode. Anyway, I've been trying to figure some good tactics when I play again, as I've gotten a small group at the college I attend into this game. Even some non shmup fans wanted to play it! However, I've been having some issues with finding proper ways to handle certain attacks. Some tips for general combat would also be appreciated.

Stone Golem (Top Side)-This guy has a nasty attack that looks like something right out of Gradius. It makes mines phase in from out of nowhere, and then they start firing insta kill bullets. Every time this attack pops up, I get my ass handed to me.

YF-223 Alpha Blade (Top Side)-This guy has one of the most annoying attacks in existance while in its Boss form. Those DAMN AFTERBURNERS! I know one obvious solution is to not stay right behind him, but sometimes you're forced to move under the YF while it's firing other attacks, which can be a perfect setup for the afterburner attack. Are there any safe zones within the area of effect for the afterburner? Or should I just kiss a lifebar goodbye?

I also have a question about whether or not it's possible to 'cover' a certain pickup while you're the on top player, so as to prevent your opponent from getting it. I'm referring to the infamous Change pickup, which swaps player positions. If you're on top and your enemy gets this, well, you're usually screwed. Are there any ships/attacks that would make it possible to block a Change pickup with attacks? Basically, make it so if the player does try to get the Change, they get shot down.

Finally, I'd like some statistics, if they're availble, for the best ships in each catagory...

Best normal shot

Best subweapon (Blue arrow pickup while on bottom)

Best lock on (Lockon pickup while on bottom)

Best backup (Blue arrow while on top)

Best support (Lockon while on top)

Best bomb

Best boss

I've yet to find my favorite ship among the eight, though I am becoming partial to the Sylph (Bottom rightmost ship).

...Oh, the other reason I started this topic? To bring attention to Change Air Blade. Sure the single player stinks, but 2P vs matches are just plain fun.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Man, I love this game! It is the most unique versus game I've ever played.

I got a few friends involved in this game, and our battles range from complete rape-age (I or my opponent kill the other without losing his first energy bar) to battles of attrition (fights last almost 3 minutes, and one person literally wins with one sliver of health on his last bar).

This game would be greatly improved if it had a handicap option for players on the top half. High handicaps for shmup novices (they can perform high-ranking shmup attacks on the top), and low handicaps for shmup experts (perform low-rank shmup attacks giving novices a chance). A handicap option would make this game very accessible to players of all skill levels.

My favorite fighters are the "Fatty," the "Parachute," and the Blaster.

Here are my preliminary analyses of the fighters I've played (attributes rated using the five-star system):

F-36B Blaster: This plane is very well balanced. It has a useful bomb that resembles one of the Garegga bombs. Its boss attack is not very intimidating, though its turret sweep attack is nasty (and freezes you in place as you use this attack). Its top-half attacks are quite nasty, with many aimed bullet spreads.

Speed: ***
Attack (top): ***
Attack (bottom): ***
Boss: **
Bomb: *****

"Fatty": My friends and I call this Garegga-alike (second from right, top row) the "Fatty." It's extremely powerful, no matter which half it plays. The bomb is an extremely powerful beam cannon, and can send a player out of his boss form with one bombing. The beam cannon can also, if you point-blank your opponent, can knock off up to twofull life bars. It's very slow, and tends to fall victim to fast attacks. Its boss form is a giant tank. It's quite hard to use, and it's fast turret spam takes a while to activate.
Speed: *
Attack (top): ****
Attack (bottom): *****
Boss: **
Bomb: *****

"Event Horizon" AKA AH-99IV Stone Golem: We call this fighter the "Event Horizon" since it resembles the spacecraft from the movie Event Horizon. Its top half attacks completely throw me off, especially what I've come to call the "Pinwheel" attack. The boss form is very tough. It shoots mines that explode into tight spreads, and it's followed by more fast spreads. The bomb is quite weak, as it's just a screen-wiping plasma ball traveling up the screen.
Speed: **
Attack (top): ****
Attack (bottom): *****
Boss: ****
Bomb: **

"Parachute": (directly below the Garegga-alike plane) Well, it looks like a parachute... It sucks on the bottom. Many of its bottom attacks are weak. Its bomb leaves you unprotected on the front. However, on the top, the "Parachute" is very formidable. Its boss attack is deadly, with plenty of fast bullet spreads and spam everywhere. A "Parachute" player hopes to grab a Change icon and move to the top, where he'll dominate.
Speed: **
Attack (top): *****
Attack (bottom): *
Boss: *****
Bomb: * 1/2

I'll write more detailed analyses when I become more familiar with the planes and their specific attacks (support fighters-top, subweapons, lock-on, lockon-top, lockon-bottom)
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

I recently found out something VERY interesting about Change Air Blade's VS mode, every ship actually has three different "modes" you can switch between, based on what button you press before a round starts. You'll know you've changed your ship's mode because its color will also change. I don't remember which buttons are which, but it's pretty easy to figure out based on descriptions of the modes, which I have below.

Normal Mode-This is active when your ship is its default color, you have balanced speed, power, and defense.

Speed Mode-Sacrifice power and defense for a speed increase. Useful if you need to move around quickly.

Power Mode-Sacrifices speed and defense for raw power. Your ship's firepower will be obscenely powerful in this mode, but you'll also move slower and die a lot faster.

To switch modes, during the pre fight countdown, press A B or C to change colors and modes. In case you forget which mode is which, you can easily tell based on speed changes (Faster movement is obviously Speed Mode, slower movement is obviously Power Mode)

As far as I can tell, this only works in VS Mode.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!