GD: viper phase 1 - new / usa ver

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
kemical

GD: viper phase 1 - new / usa ver

Post by kemical »

first of all, is there any reset switch, jumper or contacts for a reset switch, on the seibu sp-1 board?

Anyone know anything about the scoring in this game?
I've seen 2 high scores listed, both were somewhere around 10,000,000 - 15,000,000 ... which seems impossible :cry:

the best i've done is almost 1,600,000 .. can't get past 1-3's boss, I can get through 1-1 and 1-2 without losing any lives but the little spinning mine enemies that fall down the sides of the screen on 3 always screw me up because of their unexpected movement...

I'm also wondering what I have to score to start getting extra lives, I was thinking it would be 1,000,000, but nothing happened, then I thought maybe 1,500,000 .. but still nothing.

the main "trick" to getting some extra points that I've noticed is shooting the little pod-ships right when they have deccelerated and are about to fly back up off the screen, at this point they release the most medals, but it can be tricky to avoid shooting them. (this also results in more points at the end since the total medals collected are multiplied..)

Another great way of getting a lot of points is to get 100% enemies destroyed, level 2 is the easiest for me, I can get 100% nearly everytime, 1-1 is a bit harder because it seems you need to get perfect timing right from the start and destroy every single ship sitting out on the runway, and also destroy any that are just about to fly off the screen taking off.
I might be wrong about that though.. because there are times when I've gotten 204 enemies destroyed yet it was at 99%, and then a couple times I got about 198 enemies destroyed and it counted as 100% ..so maybe the parked, non-hostile ships on the runways really don't count towards the 100% but get added up at the end anyway.. :?

an example, getting through 1-1 with 97-98% and not losing any lives / bombs gets you anywhre from 300,000 - 400,000.... but if you get 100% you easily get up to 700,000 - 900,000 points right away.

What I would like to know is if there are any ways to hitting enemies that give you more points, either taking into account how far from the top of the screen you are, or even things like bullet scraping you're ship.. I haven't really noticed anything though.

well.. thats about it.. I wonder how long its going to take to 1cc this game.. maybe this is a bad choice for my first 1cc :) I refuse to use continues for checking out the rest of the game.. and i dont want to focus my attention on any other jamma games yet.

im slowly inching my way forward, but 1-3 is insanely hard with the spinning "mine" enemies :(

*edit*
scores that I had seen, from arcadia magazine:

VIPER PHASE ONE (JAP VER.)
RAJIAME
AUTOFIRE ON

VIPER PHASE ONE (NEW VER.)
NER

NO MISS NO BOMB (STAGE 4 99%)
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

now that this game is playable in mame, i think some discussion about Raiden fighters and viper phase are in order.

kemical, for detailed scoring info check out Alluro's game guide over at the Raiden Fighters Emporium.

http://www.rf-emporium.net/vp1/
system11

Post by system11 »

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE, THREAD!

So - does anyone know how to get the 100% on the first level? I can do it on stage 2, stage 1 I'm really struggling with - always 98%. Do you really have to hit all the ground targets or not? I'm not seeing a huge difference when I take them out.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

bloodflowers wrote:Do you really have to hit all the ground targets or not? I'm not seeing a huge difference when I take them out.
Yes you do. Some ground targets appear already at the bottom of the screen (in corners as well). Some airborne popcorn enemies fly into the screen, then immediately return offscreen.

Good luck!
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Will this help?

edit: I remember you said once you don't like to watch superplays of shooters, so here's some advice in case you don't want to watch Icarus' video: You might be failing to trigger the flying enemies over the moving platforms around the middle of Stage 1. It's also important to note the escaping enemies in the top-right corner of the screen after the moving platforms. Also, DON'T GRAB THE LASER.
kemical

Post by kemical »

bloodflowers wrote:RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE, THREAD!

So - does anyone know how to get the 100% on the first level? I can do it on stage 2, stage 1 I'm really struggling with - always 98%. Do you really have to hit all the ground targets or not? I'm not seeing a huge difference when I take them out.
They key to 100% happens within the first 8 seconds of level 1, then there is also the escaping taxi'ing enemies after the moving platforms like Zebra Airforce mentioned.. those are the two main trouble spots I noticed when working on getting 100%
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

i was wondering, anyone know if this game employs some sort of ranking system? im sure it gets faster with the powerups you get.

also noticed that the quicker you kill the boss the more points you get, altho taking the laser at the end of lvl 1 to get the quicker kill kinda fucks ya for killing the baddies at the start of lvl 2 so its a bit of a toss up.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Oh there is a ranking system in this game for sure; I remember seibu kaihatsu interview from the old edge magazine where they told about it.

They weren't going into detail of course, they just said game will get harder if player does well.

I also remember they said why viper phase 1 has hand drawn graphics; they considered that it made them stand apart from the rest (as everyone was jumping onto 3D bandwagon back then. Viper phase 1 indeed has some finest hand drawn pixel backgrounds I've seen, that was from the age when they still were not scanned.