Be attitude for gains, gwargh

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LoneSage

Be attitude for gains, gwargh

Post by LoneSage »

I've Googled it to no avail; where does that freakin quote come from? I've seen it in many sigs on many forums...Be attitude for gains. 1. Be praying..

Where's it from?
Neon

Post by Neon »

Radiant Silvergun
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Awesome.

I'm getting RSG in a few days for the Saturn actually; I'm not hyping myself for it so I won't get disappointed with it. cheers.
russ

Post by russ »

So, is "Be attitude for gains" just a freakishly bad English translation of something from the game, or does it actually have a meaning? I wonder about that every time I see it...
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

"Be Attitude for Gains" IS the actual text as it appears in the game.
It appears with each boss and gives Treasure's trademark garbled pointers for the boss fight. It can sorta be seen as an homage to the boss pointers in Gunstar Heroes.
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
russ

Post by russ »

I've got the game, just never knew if it had a literal meaning or not. Still, it sounds cool :roll:
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

I always figured "be attitude for gains" meant something like "this is what you wanna do to get ahead". Good luck deciphering the "tips" it gives you afterward though :o
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Blasphemy! Everyone should've known this by now, but then, I have played 60 or more hours of Silvergun. It's a really good game, though I rarely play it nowadays after frustrating myself with my inability to chain. The game has a high emphasis in chaining since you won't stand a chance against tougher enemies if you don't make big points to level up your armament. At my top performance playing, I couldn't reach adequate weapon levels from the second level (whichever you choose) onward. This is the game's blunder for me. I think that if you can get over it; you will absolutely love the game.

Note: remember that the game offers Arcade and Saturn mode. If you want a short blast, Arcade mode is your choice. Many have complained about the length of the game, but in Arcade mode it's just about 45 minutes. Saturn mode forces you to play through every Arcade level and the new omake level, making the game as long as if not longer than Gradius V.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

Personally, I find lvl 27+ weapons to make the game too easy.
I find the ideal starting level to be 21.

perhaps I'm a bit too used to shmups of old...shooting a weak spot for LESS than 6 minutes frightens and confuses me. :o
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

"Be Atitude for gains" what does that phrase mean exactly?
Bad JPN translation like All your base?

Also in Darius II
"I like something called Tuna Sesimi"? Or something like that...
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

LOL! *points to sig*

I think the pilot was making a cheesy one-liner referencing the enemies (whose designs are of the aquatic types) she/he was about to pwn.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Yeah you're right.
I wonder if the TAITO programmers that made the Darius series also loved fishing aswell as shmuping?
;)
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

You should not miss this:

http://www.emuxhaven.net/~silver/Translations.html

As far as that saying goes... "Be Attitude For Gains..." seems to imply "Be aware of these things ahead which you need to deal with to be successful..."

Then it lists 3 things you need to be aware of... like a technical readout...

There are all sorts of goofy sets of 3 things that we are supposed to be attitude-for-gains about... it starts off rather mild with:

1 : PLAIN SHOOT-TECH
2 : PLAIN EVASION-TECH
3 : TINY VALOR

and by the time you've spent nearly an hour battling through the game, you meet Xiga... the baddest boss to ever inhabit a shooting game where it says:

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...
1 : BE PRAYING
2 : BE PRAYING
3 : BE PRAYING

And you best be praying when you see what this guy throws at you...
Last edited by llabnip on Fri May 06, 2005 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ST Dragon wrote:"Be Atitude for gains" what does that phrase mean exactly?
Bad JPN translation like All your base?
I've always translated "Be Attitude For Gains" as "That which is necessary to succeed". And as far as I know, these are the names of the bosses' different attacks, not what you have to do.

Then again, folks who've watched me play either RSG or Ikaruga have always asked "What does NO REFUGE mean?" No Escape or No Sanctuary.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

^No turning back?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Moogs

Post by Moogs »

It's the more random sounding descriptions that make me wonder just what exactly Treasure was getting at when they wrote them. For example:

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

1. o -- bonus
2. a -- core
3. o o -- bonus

Or this one:

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

1. In Fighting
2. Make An Effort
3. 15 dot TEXTURE.. oioi..

The appearance of Xiga, though, accompanied by that haunting music and then the message of "Be Praying" three times in a row... it gives me the chills just thinking about it.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Moogs wrote: BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

1. o -- bonus
2. a -- core
3. o o -- bonus
It's a representation of the boss itself. It's a central core with 3 satellites that spin around it, which is represented with "o" as the satellites and "a" as the central core.
_o
_a
o_o

(I put the underscores in to make sure that everything spaced correctly)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:^No turning back?
Exactly.
dpful

Post by dpful »

"Be attitude for gains" means 'remember to collect all the purple bullets (so you can use your sword)'
That's what I thought, as in 'gains' means collecting or getting stuff like in Dimahoo's "GAINED A BOMB!"
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I always interpreted it as "adopt the correct attitude for an advantage" or simply "be cool to win".
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Dartagnan1083 wrote:shooting a weak spot for LESS than 6 minutes frightens and confuses me. :o
huh? I thought the bosses died faster in older games, except for the endgame ones. Either that or R-type (well-placed max beam attacks with the R-9 in Delta could wipe out most bosses in one blast!) and Gradius (sans slowdown) have been lying to me all this time.

The first time I saw "NO REFUGE" on the bottom of the warning message in Ikaruga made me feel like I was completely screwed against the boss, although it is kind of ironic that either you or the boss disengages after the timer runs out. For some reason, that message sounds a lot more intimidating than "No Escape."