Tecnosoft Morals

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LoneSage

Tecnosoft Morals

Post by LoneSage »

I've only beat TF3 and Blast Wind, but it's evident to see that there were morals in those two. In Blast Wind, it criticized the advancement of technology in which there was little to no consideration taken for the environment. After beating TF3 a short while ago, I also realized that there was some kind of moral in the ending...however the Enrgish horribly mangled any coherence it originally had.

Has anyone figured out what the moral was in TF3? Cos to me, I figure they were just badtalking how smart computers are getting.

It seems the themes in Tecnosoft games are much like the themes in Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke: kind-hearted Nature VS. the cold, monolithic advancing Technology.

Damn I love Tecnosoft.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Let me think. SHMUPS board VS hordes of stupid pigeons. Winner: SHMUPS board by a 15 thousand light year advantage. Nature is overrated.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
it290

Post by it290 »

I think the moral in TF3 was: don't create gigantic AI weapons of mass destruction, because they'll bite you in the ass. Same as TF5, basically.

"Human beings, think about what you have done."
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well, I knew some Japanese students in college, and I know from talking to them that the Japanese in general are VERY pacifist. (Being the only country in the world to have nukes dropped on you would do that to folks.) And I've noticed pacifist themes in a LOT of shmups. For instance, in Gigawing, at least several of the characters curse innocent people being dragged into a war against their will.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

TF4's moral may be the same as in TF3, since it's picking up right where TF3 left off. It seems that Styx in TF3 did not quite finish off the rogue computer, so Rynex gets to take it out next time. In the Lightening Force manual the enemy is referred to as the "Lohun" (Lone, as in TF3?) Empire.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
neoalphazero

Post by neoalphazero »

I always loved the tone of Thunderforce 4. The ending basically tells you this battle was won but the war wasn't over. The picture of the pilot (?) embracing his girlfriend/wife added a human touch to the ending too. *-neo
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

*spoilers*

The Guardian speaks with the pilot of the ship at the end of TFV, and explains that all this was because the Earthlings discovered the Vasteel technology. He's flying the last remaining ship, it's up to him to save humanity, because with that technology at their hands, it will be used for evil. It's pretty clear the only chose is to kill himself, and make sure the ship is totally destroyed.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Her. The pilot of TFV it's a lady, Captain Cenes Crawford.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."

How poetic.

I always thought that TFV story has one of the best sci-fi Game scenarios ever.
It could have easily been used to make a movie like Final Fantasy or an adventure/RPG Shmup, like Panzer Dragoon Saga.
It also reminds me of the story in “Warriors of The Wind – Nausica Saga.”
Its also cool & dramatic the fact that the only reason the Thunder Force pilots could stand against all odds, was because the Guardian alloyed them to win, since he was seeking salvation. In other words they had no chance against his armies.
Who is the writer of the TFV story by the way?

And the intro is so cool. The mass destruction laser beam annihilating that city reminds me of the Zeus Cannon in FF movie. Square could have been inspired from it.

Its cool the way TFV picks up directly from where TF4 left it, after discovering the TF4 ship close to the orbit of Planet Pluto.
The screenshots in the end of TF4 are probably of the pilot since it’s mentioned in TFV that the entire cockpit area was missing, probably due to ejection.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Thats some pretty cool plot stuff, i take the big intro cannon is only in the playstation version?
Vidi Vici Veni
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

The heck with the Prime Directive! If it's on radar, it's toast! :P

No, but I like the nature vs. tech theme too. Environmental concerns seem to be in Japanese entertainment a lot more than ours, thought about this while watching Nausicaa this weekend, what a beautiful movie.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Warriors of The Wind
Princess Mononoke
Thunder Force V
Macross Do You Remeber Love

have a lot in common.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Wait, what's Macross have to do with nature...?
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Similar Nuclear Beams destroyed the earth by the Zendraedi forces.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I've heard the main enemy in the Thunder Force series referred to as Orn--possibly a reference to Oranos, the primal sky god in Greek lore (q.v. all the other Greek references in TF3--Hydra, Gorgon, Siren, Hades, Eris, Kerberos). However, it seems the proper name for the AI that heads Orn (a.k.a. TF3 final boss) is Chaos--named for the primal void.

Chaos was apparently designed as a weapon of judgement and restriction upon sentients (I doubt the people of TF1-4 are the same as the Earthians of TF5). In TF5, though, Deep Purple is referred to as the "messenger of the new god"--presumably Chaos, which took over Guardian and almost all the works created from Vasteel.

Did Chaos, in the end, decide that the woes that plagued sentients were the result of God, and therefore attempted to supplant God, and rewrite the galaxy in its own image? (All right, this is also my suspicion of what's going on with Orochi in the KOF series, but I'm guessing it's a favorite motif in Japanese games...) It's interesting that it's this so-called new god who lays claim to the sword of judgement (i.e. the vessel in which the Chaos and Guardian A.I.'s are centered) with which to execute all humanity...

A point to consider with Blast Wind is that the enemy empire, Gorn, is presumably technocratic--and as non-natural as one can get. The Gorn survived the nuclear holocaust by hiding underneath the world's surface, and continued their progression for some time. Of course, pure subterranean is not natural for humans. This is in contrast to Noa (your side), which endeavored to restore the world as it once had been--something Gorn patently showed no desire for...

For those who have played Blast Wind...I know the names of the first four stages' bosses (Strato Guard, Gamma Ray, Spriggan, Sodom, Ostragle). What are the names of the last two stages' bosses? It might shed light on how Gorn sees itself (although "Sodom" doesn't say much for their views on hospitability towards outsiders...In Hebrew lore, the people of Sodom were infamous for treating outsiders with every cruelty imaginable, sexual and otherwise. In fact, one story says that a young woman of Sodom actually treated an outsider nicely once. The rest of the city punished her for this by shackling her naked, and smeared with honey, in the desert, where presumably ants and wasps would devour her...).
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Very interesting
FRO

Post by FRO »

neoalphazero wrote:I always loved the tone of Thunderforce 4. The ending basically tells you this battle was won but the war wasn't over. The picture of the pilot (?) embracing his girlfriend/wife added a human touch to the ending too. *-neo
That always gets me too...*sniff*

Seriously, I thought that was a nice touch at the ending. Instead of just mindless blasting w/ ships flying off into the moonlight or something cheesy like that, it was actually a cool way to end it. One more reason TF4 was my fav of the series!
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

The picture of the pilot (?) embracing his girlfriend/wife added a human touch to the ending too. *-neo
Funny, for some reason I always thought she was the co-pilot...weren't there 2 pilots in the Rynex?

That other picture of a "lab" where it looked like the Rynex was being designed was pretty cool too.

Still one of my favorite game endings ever...and that music won't ever be surpassed.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Skyknight wrote:What are the names of the last two stages' bosses?
DRAD and GORN.

Thanks for the insight. I always wondered what the Greek mythology references were about (TF3).
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

(Okay...I guess the boss 5 track being called "Drad" on the soundtrack CD *wasn't* a misprint...)

It's odd to me that there's a boss NAMED "Gorn"--I thought it was just the name of the enemy nation...