D-pad users - what's your favourite controller?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
indstr

Post by indstr »

themachinist wrote:Saturn pad is good, as everyone agrees. I like the Logitech Precision Pad, as someone else mentioned before, for my PC gaming.
so does the logitech precision have a pretty loose d-pad? i like them loose
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Yeah, it's pretty loose. Plus it's so cheap you can't really go wrong.
Erinu

Post by Erinu »

Koa Zo wrote:Hori Anasin 2 Turbo, by a long shot.
I have one of these... ew... the dpad feels like shit..
indstr

Post by indstr »

Erinu wrote:
too stiff or what? i looked at the picture and it looks really nice so i need some feedback before i go waste $ on it
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Whatever you guys do avoid Thrustmaster branded pads. They're built like shit. They look solidly build, but I've had mine for about a year and the D-pad can't do diagonals well and my left analog stick is busted.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I used to think the SNES pad was great. And then I got a Saturn pad and realized how much the SNES pad sucks in comparison.

Saturn pad and Genesis 6-button are my top choices when I'm too lazy to set up an arcade stick.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I prefere the D Pad on the Logitech rumble pad for PS2. I use an adapter for it on my GameCube for Ikaruga and Soul Calibur 2 also. It's a really good feeling pad. I prefer it over the Saturn pad, even though the Saturn pad is sweet.

s/m
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

indstr wrote:
themachinist wrote:Saturn pad is good, as everyone agrees. I like the Logitech Precision Pad, as someone else mentioned before, for my PC gaming.
Yeah man, hand doesn't get tired like on PS2 dpad :x . Like MX7 said, it's so ddarn cheap you can't go wrong. Only $10 at B&M stores.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

=/
indstr

Post by indstr »

themachinist wrote:
indstr wrote:
Yeah man, hand doesn't get tired like on PS2 dpad :x . Like MX7 said, it's so ddarn cheap you can't go wrong. Only $10 at B&M stores.
so i'm looking at the precision pad

and the rumble pad for ps2

both look comfy, although the d-pad on the rumble pad looks more protruded and possibly better. is there anybody with experience using both of these who could give me judgement on which one is better?

i don't play fighting games so i don't need something that "rolls well", i mainly play platformers with it so what i like is something that doesn't require a lot of effort to press and doesn't tire my thumb out
Erinu

Post by Erinu »

indstr wrote:
Erinu wrote:
too stiff or what? i looked at the picture and it looks really nice so i need some feedback before i go waste $ on it
The controller is huge, literally.. HUGE. The dpad's feel is smooth, but really hard and stiff in comparison to the Saturn one. Then again, so is the PS2. I can't recommend the PS2 controller or the Anashin 2 Turbo for anything. It definitely isn't one of Hori's better products.
unsane

Post by unsane »

indstr wrote:both look comfy, although the d-pad on the rumble pad looks more protruded and possibly better. is there anybody with experience using both of these who could give me judgement on which one is better?

I've never tried a Precision, so i can only speak for the rumble pad (i have the non-rumble version "Dual Action Gamepad", it looks identical in every way): the d-pad is very loose.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Erinu wrote:
indstr wrote:
Erinu wrote: I have one of these... ew... the dpad feels like shit..
The controller is huge, literally.. HUGE. The dpad's feel is smooth, but really hard and stiff in comparison to the Saturn one. Then again, so is the PS2. I can't recommend the PS2 controller or the Anashin 2 Turbo for anything. It definitely isn't one of Hori's better products.
You're out of your mind. Honestly, it really doesn't sound like you are describing the Hori Anashin 2 Turbo.

First of all, the controller certainly is not HUGE (capitals completely exaggerating). The "udders" on the Anashin 2 are beefier than a standard dual shock, and about 15 mm longer. IMO this is a great advantage over a standard Sony pad, as I actually have something that fits my hands. Other dimensions are basically the same as a dual-shock. I really don't understand your perception of HUGE.

You are correct in saying the d-pad is smooth, but completely off base saying it is really hard and stiff. I did a side by side use comparison with my Saturn PS2 pad last night and there is only a negligible difference in the resistance of the Hori cross-hair. The Hori cross-hair pad is firm and smooth, while the Saturn disc is loose and nearly wobbly (not as much as the ASCII FT pads). The one operational difference I can discern is that the Hori d-pad has less travel to its maximum depressed position (IMO quicker and more responsive). Also, while this is obvious to anyone looking at the controllers; it should be noted the Hori d-pad is the cross hair type embedded in the controller shell, and the Saturn is a disc on a raised pivot point – with the diagonals of the disc, the Saturn pad is probably preferred for fighting games, but for 2-D shmup or platforming I think the Hori cross-hair is the way to go. One other note about the d-pads: both pads have almost the exact same amount of concave to the cross-hairs - The Saturn pad has a divot at dead-center, while the Hori is smooth across the pad. The Hori plastic is also dense and solid feeling, while the Saturn d-pad is hollow light weight feeling plastic.

I particularly have to take issue with your comment that the Anashin 2 is not one of Hori's better products. What Hori standard controller has ever been better? IMO the Anasin 2's are the best controllers I've ever used. Along with the top-notch responsive smooth concave d-pad, the stubby concave analog sticks have 3 levels of adjustable sensitivity, and face buttons have 3 levels of rapid fire ability. Not to mention there is a wireless model, and a headphone capable model.

I understand these kinds of threads are personal preference, and posters just typing in the name of a controller (as I did originally) really doesn't provide any information, but now you have my 2 cents. And more to the point, Erinu was completely wrong saying the Anashin 2 is huge and has a really stiff d-pad.
The Anashin 2 Turbo is a man’s controller. Beefy and firm, just like my women.
Erinu

Post by Erinu »

Koa Zo wrote:First of all, the controller certainly is not HUGE (capitals completely exaggerating). The "udders" on the Anashin 2 are beefier than a standard dual shock, and about 15 mm longer. IMO this is a great advantage over a standard Sony pad, as I actually have something that fits my hands. Other dimensions are basically the same as a dual-shock. I really don't understand your perception of HUGE.

You are correct in saying the d-pad is smooth, but completely off base saying it is really hard and stiff. I did a side by side use comparison with my Saturn PS2 pad last night and there is only a negligible difference in the resistance of the Hori cross-hair. The Hori cross-hair pad is firm and smooth, while the Saturn disc is loose and nearly wobbly (not as much as the ASCII FT pads). The one operational difference I can discern is that the Hori d-pad has less travel to its maximum depressed position (IMO quicker and more responsive). Also, while this is obvious to anyone looking at the controllers; it should be noted the Hori d-pad is the cross hair type embedded in the controller shell, and the Saturn is a disc on a raised pivot point – with the diagonals of the disc, the Saturn pad is probably preferred for fighting games, but for 2-D shmup or platforming I think the Hori cross-hair is the way to go. One other note about the d-pads: both pads have almost the exact same amount of concave to the cross-hairs - The Saturn pad has a divot at dead-center, while the Hori is smooth across the pad. The Hori plastic is also dense and solid feeling, while the Saturn d-pad is hollow light weight feeling plastic.

I particularly have to take issue with your comment that the Anashin 2 is not one of Hori's better products. What Hori standard controller has ever been better? IMO the Anasin 2's are the best controllers I've ever used. Along with the top-notch responsive smooth concave d-pad, the stubby concave analog sticks have 3 levels of adjustable sensitivity, and face buttons have 3 levels of rapid fire ability. Not to mention there is a wireless model, and a headphone capable model.

I understand these kinds of threads are personal preference, and posters just typing in the name of a controller (as I did originally) really doesn't provide any information, but now you have my 2 cents. And more to the point, Erinu was completely wrong saying the Anashin 2 is huge and has a really stiff d-pad.
The Anashin 2 Turbo is a man’s controller. Beefy and firm, just like my women.
No, I'm not wrong. I OWN one of these. You might like it, sure.

Just to make sure, this is the Wireless Anashin 2 Turbo (premium blue) (Japan) controller which we're talking about here.

Unless it's a different controller you're speaking of. I've played with it for about 100+ hours on RPGs, which it's good for. 800+ hours on Saturn PS2 pads makes me question why you would use this instead. Wirelessness is nice, but I don't like the size. It's huge, especially in comparison to the PS2 controller. I didn't touch the PS2 controller for months while using the Anashin 2, and was really surprised at how small the PS2 controller was in comparison. The Anashin 2 is more around the size of the xbox's S controller.

The analogue sticks on the Anashin 2 are also very tiny and awkward to get to. Sometimes my thumb will slip off due to how incredibly small they are. The R1/L1 buttons are also very small. It isn't good for shooters or fighters. But other games, sure, I'll give it that. I use mine for RPGs personally.

As for better Hori products, well, practically every Hori arcade stick available will supersede this controller, and considering people usually stick with the Saturn PS2 controller, it's just a matter of you supporting an unpopular product. I can't think of any other Hori controllers which are better than this, but really, if you're wanting to use something for shooters, or fighters, there's better stuff out there.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Erinu wrote:
No, I'm not wrong. I OWN one of these. You might like it, sure.

Just to make sure, this is the Wireless Anashin 2 Turbo (premium blue) (Japan) controller which we're talking about here.

Unless it's a different controller you're speaking of. I've played with it for about 100+ hours on RPGs, which it's good for. 800+ hours on Saturn PS2 pads makes me question why you would use this instead. Wirelessness is nice, but I don't like the size. It's huge, especially in comparison to the PS2 controller. I didn't touch the PS2 controller for months while using the Anashin 2, and was really surprised at how small the PS2 controller was in comparison. The Anashin 2 is more around the size of the xbox's S controller.

The analogue sticks on the Anashin 2 are also very tiny and awkward to get to. Sometimes my thumb will slip off due to how incredibly small they are. The R1/L1 buttons are also very small. It isn't good for shooters or fighters. But other games, sure, I'll give it that. I use mine for RPGs personally.

As for better Hori products, well, practically every Hori arcade stick available will supersede this controller, and considering people usually stick with the Saturn PS2 controller, it's just a matter of you supporting an unpopular product. I can't think of any other Hori controllers which are better than this, but really, if you're wanting to use something for shooters, or fighters, there's better stuff out there.
I OWN one of these too. I OWN the wireless model, and the Turbo 2 Sound model. All the Anashin 2 pads have the same shell, only the wireless is a different plastic and lighter. I also OWN two of the Saturn PS2 pads (why am I capitalizing OWN???).
The Hori Anashin 2 Turbo controllers are my favorite controllers for the PS and PS2, and one of the best designed and most comfortable controllers available for any console. IMO (there, now that deserved capitalization. IMO).

I can not understand your problem with the analog sticks. They are shorter (stubby) than a Sony dual shock, but they are hardly "thin". The contact surface area is concave rather than convex allowing the thumb to sit into the top of the stick, rather than on top of a convex stick like the Dual Shock's. I've never had issues with my thumbs slipping off. :?

And why would you reference joysticks in a thread discussing d-pads? But to address that point: Hori has made a shit ton of mediocre joysticks. The HRAPs are the only ones really worth a crap/ the Anashin 2 series of controllers are magnitudes better than something like the p.o.s. Tekken 5 Hori sticks.

To clarify, Erinu, you were wrong with your choice of adjective and capitalized text. You are also wrong about the R1/L1 buttons.
Huge is quite the overstatement. And the L1/R1 buttons are actually about 2mm wider than the Dual Shocks.
it's just a matter of you supporting an unpopular product.
I must have not been on that bandwagon when they made the announcement.
I'm not concerned about popularity, I'm concerned with comfort and performance. And the Anashin 2 Turbo Sound delivers.
Last edited by Koa Zo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

I like the Saturn pad (same as the PS2/saturn pad not the other one)

I despise the PS2 I have no idea why people like it so much :roll:
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

unsane wrote:
indstr wrote:both look comfy, although the d-pad on the rumble pad looks more protruded and possibly better. is there anybody with experience using both of these who could give me judgement on which one is better?

I've never tried a Precision, so i can only speak for the rumble pad (i have the non-rumble version "Dual Action Gamepad", it looks identical in every way): the d-pad is very loose.
I had the Precision pad and it has one of the better d-pads around. I found it a bit mushy (or springy, pretty hard to describe), but it´s good otherwise, and very comfortable and very cheap. "Loose" is a pretty good description too, but I kind of like that, and to me it wasn´t a big deal since it picked up every direction very well.

By the way, I had two Saitek pads, the first one had a d-pad that was very close to the Saturn pad in every regard (light and clicky), but a later similar model had a d-pad that was MUCH worse.
Erinu

Post by Erinu »

Koa Zo wrote:words
I never said the Anashin 2 was bad. I said it isn't good for shooters/fighters. I don't like the way the dpad feels for them at all, but for other games, it's perfectly fine.

I don't know what the difference is between the regular Anashin 2 and the Anashin 2 Turbo though. My original Anashin 2 has turbo functions.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Erinu wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:words
I never said the Anashin 2 was bad. I said it isn't good for shooters/fighters. I don't like the way the dpad feels for them at all, but for other games, it's perfectly fine.
And I disagree. The pad is very good for shooters and platformers. The d-pad is precise and responsive, the smooth hard plastic finish has a good tactile feel under my thumb, The concave/flared ends of the cross-hair pad holds the thumb well, and the larger udders fit my hands allowing the pinky fingers to actually hold the controller rather than be tucked under like with a DaulShock2.
Also, if you would read the words you may notice I never said anything about you saying the Anashin 2 was bad.
unsane

Post by unsane »

Not sure i should recommend the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad anymore, i've had it 2.5 months and the d-pad now occasionally gets stuck in the up-right position. Too much Dangun Feveron i guess?

Is 3 months normal? How long do good d-pads typically last when going through a high level of wear and tear? FWIW i never throw the gamepad. :P

Edit 13/03/09: I've gone through a second one, after a couple months of use once again. Do not purchase this game pad ever.
Last edited by unsane on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
indstr

Post by indstr »

3 mo seems pretty short.

btw, thank you Koa Zo and Erinu for your wonderful argument, it gave me a lot of good info about the Anashin 2 and it sounds like it might be the pad for me :D
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

indstr wrote: btw, thank you Koa Zo and Erinu for your wonderful argument, it gave me a lot of good info about the Anashin 2 and it sounds like it might be the pad for me :D
Any time! :wink:
And please let us know what you think once you've had a chance to put it through its paces.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Koa Zo wrote:
indstr wrote: btw, thank you Koa Zo and Erinu for your wonderful argument, it gave me a lot of good info about the Anashin 2 and it sounds like it might be the pad for me :D
Any time! :wink:
And please let us know what you think once you've had a chance to put it through its paces.
destiny occurred!

first, i hunted and hunted and finally found a logitech precision 2. ordered it, and unfortunately the site who sold it to me, later informed me that they were out of stock. i looked around some more and couldn't find ANYWHERE else that had it. so i decided to get the Anashin instead. i looked and looked, and couldn't find anywhere with the Anashin wired, only the wireless version. i tried ordering both the precision 2 and anashin wired from many foreign sites, with no luck, none of them would ship to me in the states. finally i broke down and decided to get the anashin wireless version from playasia.

so it came in the mail today, and they send me the "wrong" thing. a wired one!

what the hell! since wired is what i wanted from the start anyway. crazy!!!

so as soon as i picked it up, i knew i had made the right decision. the d-pad is sweeeet. i knew if there was anyone as fanatical about it as Koa Zo is, it must be pretty good. and his description of it is exactly what i need in a d-pad.

in size and feel, it's largely similar to the SNES controller, which is one of my favourites as well. although, holding the snes controller now, it seems mushy and weak. so.. an improvement over one of the best controllers ever. awesome! so... thank you thank you Koa Zo, i'm sure i will be using this controller for years to come, and will probably end up buying several spare ones for the long haul. (who knows what kind of crap controllers there will be 20 years from now).

also another note, in addition to the d-pad rocking, the buttons have a very good feel to them as well, and the controller is extremely comfortable. it's one of the few controllers where the L&R buttons feel natural & comfortable to me (L2 and R2 at least)

rock on! i've only used it for one night, but i'm definitely in love :D

i'll give you an update in a week or two once i've rocked out more Contra and give you a definite opinion but i'm 99.9% sure this is the best controller ever :)
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Dualshock-like-placed analog sticks, therefore = EPIC FAIL.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I haven't tried many different controllers, but I'm very satisfied with my Logitech cordless PS2 one.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Stormwatch wrote:
Couldn't you post about circumcision some more instead? This is getting boring, especially since everyone else likes the placement.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

I bought a logitech precision pad because I saw it for a low price. got lucky I guess :p
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Stormwatch wrote:
I don't like that either.

But then again, I'm a madman! Madness everywhere!

I also just use a Genny pad or keyboard for everything. :)
Bootaaay

Post by Bootaaay »

The Japanese Saturn pad is my favourite, the d-pad is perfect and it just doesn't feel right playing Street Fighter on anything but a 6-face-butoon pad. Out of the current-gen consoles, as far as the d-pad goes the PS3 wins hands down - i've always had a distaste for Sony's dual-shock controllers (mostly because of the useless analogue placement), but i've really got used to the Dualshock 3 and it doesn't bother me any more - the 360 pad is definetly better for FPS and racing games, but the PS3 pad doesn't hinder me like it initially did.
PPA

Post by PPA »

Last edited by PPA on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.