Salamander 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nei First

Salamander 2

Post by Nei First »

Does anyone know a site where I can get Mp3's of Salamander 2?
I love some of those tracks.

I also gotta get this game on Saturn man, it looks well cool! What would roughly be a good price for this game, is $85.00/£45.00 too much?
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

I got mine from play-asia for £35. £45 doesnt sound too bad, after all, there are 3 class games on the disk. The saturn version doesn't have any of the music tracks on the CD but it does have loads of cool images.
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

Salamder definatly looks good, I think I'm gonna get this one, damn shame about the music tracks though.

Btw, slightly (off-topic) your avatar just reminded me of Layer section, is that game really all that, is it more enjoyable than Salamander 2?
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Nei First wrote:Salamder definatly looks good, I think I'm gonna get this one, damn shame about the music tracks though.

Btw, slightly (off-topic) your avatar just reminded me of Layer section, is that game really all that, is it more enjoyable than Salamander 2?
Yes, it really is "all that". Is it more enjoyable than Salamander 2? I couldn't really say, they're very different shmups and i like them both a lot. layer section is usually very cheap anyway, £10-£15, so its definatly worth getting
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I got my SDPP off ebay for $40 US. That's on the low end of the price scale, methinks. I'd wager you'll spend between 40-60 US on it. And yes, it's a great comp because, well, Salamander just rocks.
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

In regards to Layer Section, just as well I didn't get it just yet.

The one store I've seen that has a copy sells it for around £30.00/$57.00, nearly double that price man.
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

Nei First wrote:Btw, slightly (off-topic) your avatar just reminded me of Layer section, is that game really all that, is it more enjoyable than Salamander 2?
I enjoy Salamander 2 more than Layer Section (and I'm usually a bigger vertical scrolling game fan). But, then again, I just don't care for Layer Section (aka Galactic Attack... aka Rayforce). I hate the floaty controls - the ship slightly drifts and auto-centers. The ship seems a wee bit too big as well.. and the graphics look pixelated in spots. I also don't care much for the lock-on system - and find that it was better implemented in Sokyu. Music is great, however - typical of Taito. As far as Taito shooters go, I much prefer Darius Gaiden (horiztonal) and Gekiridan (vertical).

But I'm in the vast minority with this one... most love it to bits so it may be just the shmup for you. Given that it's really cheap (I got the US Saturn version for about $10 and then traded it and got the Japanese version with the smaller case for about the same price) it's probably a no-brainer to pick up.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Raystorm just doesn't do anything for me atall,

The sound effects are rather lacklustre I find, where's the big explostions, my firepower needs to sound like it can really destroy the enemy but It just doesn't :evil:
Zach Keene

Re: Salamander 2

Post by Zach Keene »

Nei First wrote:Does anyone know a site where I can get Mp3's of Salamander 2?
I hate to go into asshat mod mode, especially since this sort of thing was tolerated in the past, but this probably isn't the place to ask.
I also gotta get this game on Saturn man, it looks well cool! What would roughly be a good price for this game, is $85.00/£45.00 too much?
Seems a bit high to me, but then I managed to get my copy for $40-ish from a seller on this board a while back. :) Salamander 2 isn't bad at all, but honestly I think I prefer the original.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Speaking of the wonderful Layer Section, don't forget there's a hi-score thread here: http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127 ;)
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Zach Keene wrote:
Nei First wrote:Does anyone know a site where I can get Mp3's of Salamander 2?
I hate to go into asshat mod mode, especially since this sort of thing was tolerated in the past, but this probably isn't the place to ask
What could possibly be inapproriate about asking about MP3s of the soundtrack? I'd be surprised if an official soundtrack had ever been released, and even if it had, it'd probably be out of print and virtually impossible to find.

The only site I can think of off the top of my head that has a lot of video game MP3s for download is Hardcore Gaming 101. Doesn't have anything on Salamander unfortunately.
elbarto

Post by elbarto »

alpha5099 wrote:I'd be surprised if an official soundtrack had ever been released, and even if it had, it'd probably be out of print and virtually impossible to find.
The Salamander and Salamander 2 OSTs have been re-released on a single disc, along with a few Life force tracks.

$25 @ Play-Asia
"I LIKE SHOTS BULLITS AT BAD MAN"
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

elbarto wrote:
alpha5099 wrote:I'd be surprised if an official soundtrack had ever been released, and even if it had, it'd probably be out of print and virtually impossible to find.
The Salamander and Salamander 2 OSTs have been re-released on a single disc, along with a few Life force tracks.

$25 @ Play-Asia

:oops:

I still don't think it's innapproriate to ask about MP3s.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

elbarto wrote:The Salamander and Salamander 2 OSTs have been re-released on a single disc, along with a few Life force tracks.

$25 @ Play-Asia
It has all the Life Force tracks too, really. But some not-used-in-the-game tracks for Salamander 2 were taken out from the new realease, i order to fit the other two OST. It's a shame, they weren't bad at all...

I suppose since those tracks are out of production, I could upload them here....
X - P - B
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

alpha5099 wrote:I still don't think it's innapproriate to ask about MP3s.
Like I said, I'm aware this was considered OK in the past, but I'm following bloodflowers' example from:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7077#17077

(when Icarus's site had soundtracks available.)
elbarto

Post by elbarto »

Turrican wrote:But some not-used-in-the-game tracks for Salamander 2 were taken out from the new realease, i order to fit the other two OST. It's a shame, they weren't bad at all...
Damn, hadn't seen the old track listings, so wasn't aware of that..
"I LIKE SHOTS BULLITS AT BAD MAN"
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

There are quite a few sites that offer mp3's of games and cartoons and stuff. It's not like I'm asking for free roms or movie downloads or anything like that.

Thanks for that link btw elbarto, shame not all the tracks are on there.
I suppose since those tracks are out of production, I could upload them here....
Man... you.... can.... upload them here?
That would be so cool if you could man, could you please man? :D
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yes, here's what we're talking of:

http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/mult ... der_2.html

NO FUTURE (Unreleased Track)
FIRE TRIPPER (Unreleased Track)
NERVOUS BREAK DOWN (Unreleased Track)
THUNDERBOLT (Mr.You.T. Ver)

http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/mult ... track.html

As you see, the 1996 original soundtrack has some unreleased tracks. You may have noticed that the games "skips" a vertical stages at some point, and this probably means some stages planned were not realized. However, if you own the Sala DPP, I think you can easily hear those from the excellent sound test option.

The 2003 Arcade Soundtrack doesn't have those four tracks, so they are out of print. Now, if Zach or other guys in charge agree that we're not doing anything illegal, I could post them here for anyone to enjoy.
X - P - B
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

that Salamander deluxe is excellent, and i payed $30 + shipping. the first still deserves a larger portion of cake than the other two, though.

i refuse to contribute anything to the topic. :)
I have no sig whatsoever.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Sorry folks, but I've confirmed with the other mods that the current policy is indeed that OSTs (even out of print) fall under the "copyright infringement" clause of the forum rules:
bloodflowers wrote:Not for discussion:
  • No ISO trading, ROM begging, bootlegging, copyright infringement, or assistance with any of these – for example warez FTP site details. It doesn't matter what is legal in your country, there are no exceptions to this rule – although discussion of emulation is not a problem.