My PSTwo freezes on me once and a while...what's wrong??....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

My PSTwo freezes on me once and a while...what's wrong??....

Post by dave4shmups »

It's only happened in 2 games-Champions of Norrath Realms of Everquest, and Headhunter. And when it's happened, it's ONLY been during load scenes in these games.

I don't know what's going on; I have the PSTwo VERY well situated, in an area where it has plenty of breathing room, and I keep it dust free. I don't play like all day long, but maybe you're supposed to only use it for a certain amount of hours? Or does it just freeze sometimes on certain games, like the 2 I mentioned?

This is a VERY new system, I hope it's not going on me already!

Maybe I just need to try another outlet in my room, with all the console trouble I've had in the past year.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Freezes generally occur because of bad discs or the laser transport is faulty. If it happens at the same point in each game repetitively I would imagine it could be a bit of both.

make sure all discs are clean as possible. If it still freezes try taking out any 3rd party device you are using. Such as memory cards, controllers and try it again. Sometimes 3rd party peripherals can have such effects on consoles. If using a vertical stand try it laying flat.

All PS2's have a 1 year warranty I believe, so if its new just get a replacement.

It might be worth just doing a marathon loading session and putting your ear to the drive and listening for any whirring noises that sound a bit off.. Then its most definately disc or drive.

Thats all I can tell you from my experience.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well, I have used a Midway Mortal Kombat controller-if I stop using that, do you think it'll stop freezing? I'm not sure if that controller is even liscenced by Sony.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Freezes generally occur because of bad discs or the laser transport is faulty. If it happens at the same point in each game repetitively I would imagine it could be a bit of both.

make sure all discs are clean as possible. If it still freezes try taking out any 3rd party device you are using. Such as memory cards, controllers and try it again. Sometimes 3rd party peripherals can have such effects on consoles. If using a vertical stand try it laying flat.

All PS2's have a 1 year warranty I believe, so if its new just get a replacement.

It might be worth just doing a marathon loading session and putting your ear to the drive and listening for any whirring noises that sound a bit off.. Then its most definately disc or drive.

Thats all I can tell you from my experience.
It doesn't happen at the same load points, but it does happen only at load points.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I don't know how it works, but I have heard of some people using memory cards or joysticks on the DC and possibly the ps2 where it has caused system seizures.

More likely its a drive issue, since it would not happen on lots of discs if it were the software. You have to remember Sony have the worst track record when it comes to dependable hardware.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I don't know how it works, but I have heard of some people using memory cards or joysticks on the DC and possibly the ps2 where it has caused system seizures.

More likely its a drive issue, since it would not happen on lots of discs if it were the software. You have to remember Sony have the worst track record when it comes to dependable hardware.
I seriously doubt it's a drive issue, since this has only happened with 2 games. I only own one of those games, Headhunter, and sure enough, when I looked at the back of the disc, it has scratches and finger prints all over it. So, today I am going to have the disc re-surfaced.

I called the store from where I got the Midway Mortal Kombat controller, and it is not licensed by Sony, but the store manager says that he doubts it injured my PSTwo. In any case, I'll quit using it and just toss it; it only cost $10 anyway.