Senko no Ronde 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zinger

Post by zinger »

Thanks for clearing that up Enhasa. I've only played the arcade version so I didn't know about these extra songs. Randorama's post confused me a little. It all makes sense, and yes, that changes my opinion a little, though I don't think it's as powerful as Border Down volume 2.
SOUNDSHOCK
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Well, vol. 2. lacks a song like Snow Fox or Sentimental Journey, but it is still an elegant piece of art. The songs tend to be more homogeneous, though, it's either one specific theme or one theme fading into another, with a couple of exceptions. Vol.2 of Border Down, if anything, had more elaborate arrangements (and the brilliant jazzy song for stage 3 - forgot the name).

Shinji Hosoe worked for Namco and now acts as a free-lance, I think that Yack was unable to work at the time on Under Defeat. Right now both Yack and Megaten are "Supersweep members", which should be the G.Rev.'s official partner for OST's. Saso Ayako for Manomonoru...?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

-Bridget- wrote:I wanna see more of Cuilan.

Badly.
~You are my friend~
Hail Atlantis!
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Randorama wrote:Well, vol. 2. lacks a song like Snow Fox or Sentimental Journey, but it is still an elegant piece of art. The songs tend to be more homogeneous, though, it's either one specific theme or one theme fading into another, with a couple of exceptions. Vol.2 of Border Down, if anything, had more elaborate arrangements (and the brilliant jazzy song for stage 3 - forgot the name).
Well, the theme for Senko no Ronde is supposed to be the Circle of Fate, hence why part of the English subtitle for the original logo said, "The melodies of lights mingle together." The most obvious example of this is where he takes Carpe Diem and sticks it into the beginning of both HI-ROUNDER and Wanted: True Pasta!, and he retains its melody for the beginning of Remember First Rendez-Vons but alters how it sounds from its original piece, which gives this song a familiar feeling yet you can't really place where you've heard this melody before unless you're really paying attention to the rest of the soundtrack.

Also, Darkrabbit Faire is actually a song from the arcade version which starts playing when you choose to see the quick tutorial guide on how to play this game. This track wasn't in the 360 port obviously because G.Rev omitted the tutorial section.

He easily could've had a more diverse set of music for this game, but it wouldn't have made much sense given how much emphasis they've placed on the game's subtitle, not to mention that considering how depressing the story can get with most of the characters, it seems fitting that most of the new music should sound dark and ominous because this was really missing from the first volume. Besides, if you really wanted to listen to something like Snow Fox, you'd get the Border Down soundtrack anyway. ;)
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

I am in love with Carpe Diem. I don't know how much of that is the goofy but awesome intro (which is really HI-ROUNDER, I know), but I love it. It's also interesting since one of the variations is an Ernula song, which does make sense.
dai jou bu wrote:but alters how it sounds from its original piece, which gives this song a familiar feeling yet you can't really place where you've heard this melody before unless you're really paying attention to the rest of the soundtrack.
My favorite example of that is the end of Little Witch vs near the end of Link. Although I do like the Little Witch version slightly more actually.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

dai jou bu wrote:
He easily could've had a more diverse set of music for this game, but it wouldn't have made much sense given how much emphasis they've placed on the game's subtitle, not to mention that considering how depressing the story can get with most of the characters, it seems fitting that most of the new music should sound dark and ominous because this was really missing from the first volume. Besides, if you really wanted to listen to something like Snow Fox, you'd get the Border Down soundtrack anyway. ;)
The tend to be more homogeneous in style as well. For instance there is really no fast-paced song in the vein of Sentimental journey, so I suppose that I am missing the continuation of this song.

At this point I'll try to do a complete review of the whole soundtrack, once I have heard the songs according to Enhasa's order. Just to be sure, can you tell me which songs fade into which other songs, dai jou bu? It would be much appreciated :)
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Randorama wrote:
The tend to be more homogeneous in style as well. For instance there is really no fast-paced song in the vein of Sentimental journey, so I suppose that I am missing the continuation of this song.

At this point I'll try to do a complete review of the whole soundtrack, once I have heard the songs according to Enhasa's order. Just to be sure, can you tell me which songs fade into which other songs, dai jou bu? It would be much appreciated :)
Well, Ernula's the oddball character of this game, so there really shouldn't be any other similar tracks to Sentimental Journey; however, while she mostly displays a silly side, she also has a robotic and innocent persona as well, hence why two of her theme songs (A.N. [or あいつの名は江戸山かんねい] and Carpe Diem, with the former sounding like a psuedo-continuation of Sentimental Journey) sound completely different.

Pure Temperance posts the song orders for each character like this:

Changpo

North Star -> Crosshine -> My Delightful Spec.

Mika

Assemble -> Charge! -> Limitless Cinderella

Fabian

Inner Fire -> Vision of Boys -> You and I

Cuilan

Lucky Charm -> Tsuki no Rondo -> Fresh (Flesh) of Dorothy

Lili

Little Witch -> Ideaflieg -> Link -> Feldherrn (from Feldherrn)

Pretty straightforward so far, right? Here's where it gets interesting, since these are the "main" characters in Senko no Ronde's story:

Karel

Last Stand -> Find the Way -> Brave Heart -> Judgement -Act. 1-

Sakurako

Imitation Blue -> Remember First Rendez-Vons -> Grey Lips -> Bloody Eclipse

Ernula

Prot. #10 One Minute of Love (This should ring a few bells for you Rando ;)) -> Carpe Diem -> Darkrabbit Faire -> Sentimental Journey -> Wanted: "True Pasta!" -> あいつの名は江戸山かんねい

One important thing to note that really needs to be emphasized: most of the songs in Senko's soundtrack borrow the melody (and sometimes the sound effects) of Carpe Diem while altering its tempo and drastically changing the sound effects of it as well as adding additional sounds not found in the original melody (listen to the guitar in HI-ROUNDER after the Carpe Diem segment stops playing or pay careful attention to the melody of Inner Fire for hard-to-tell examples of the alteration of the original melody) omits them, or rearranges the melody's order, which is why the soundtrack pretty much sounds homogenous, but each track different enough to keep you listening at the same time. Very brilliant execution, and also very subtle; heck, even the character select music (C.C.) uses Carpe Diem's melody!
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

bucklemyshoe

Post by bucklemyshoe »

where can i purchase the vol.02 soundtrack?
hirounder

Post by hirounder »

Grev started their own youtube channel with new Senkoro2 trailer

http://www.youtube.com/user/GREVchannel
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Bump!

Does anyone know if and when the OST will be released?
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

It'd better come out before this upcoming Comiket or I'll fly all the way over there just to go to .Yack's booth and punch him in the face for being so slow about it.

That's if I have the means of getting there in order to punch him in the face to begin with.
adversity1

Re: Senko no Ronde 2

Post by adversity1 »

New issue of Arcadia comes with a strategy guide for the game, complete with moves and strategies for all (?) the characters.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Did it look similar to this by any chance?
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

No it's a 32 page player's guide packaged in with the magazine. Covers a ton of the basic game system as well.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

More info here:

http://www.arcadiamagazine.com/cgi-bin/ ... .cgi?id=57

Question:the main thing I did not like about SnR1 was the dashing, and I could have been totally misunderstanding it. But it seems like when you dash, you can't cancel it into an attack or just cancel out of it. You have to wait all the way until it ends. Am I wrong? I wonder if they'll change that for 2.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Nope, I think if you time if well you can redash during a dash. Which means you can dash over and over without stopping. I believe it only requires a decent timing. Anyway the pros' match look very fast and intense :)

But when you shoot when dashing, yes, there is a pause after the attack, I think it can't be cancelled. Btw there are 1 or 2 SNR FAQ threads which are very good.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

adversity1 wrote:Question:the main thing I did not like about SnR1 was the dashing, and I could have been totally misunderstanding it. But it seems like when you dash, you can't cancel it into an attack or just cancel out of it. You have to wait all the way until it ends. Am I wrong? I wonder if they'll change that for 2.
In SnR1 you can change the direction of the dash by holding a direction and pressing the dash button again and can cancel it by not holding any direction and pressing dash or using shield(I prefer the shield as you dont need to reset the movement input to neutral) Pretty odd you haven't noticed dash canceling as it is probably done in every video of the game and one of the basic controls.

Also, dash canceling allows you to do many special barrages in succession which is an important technique to know... the characters will only do neutral barrages for a few second after a special one if you dont dash cancel.

I doubt they'll change the dash system any more, its responsive and pretty intuitive in the first one.

Keade: you can vector dash around the place and shoot right before the dash ends I think, that "removes" the delay for some moves at least.
WarBovine

Post by WarBovine »

Maybe I'm really late to the game here, but that's the first character list I've seen for the sequel. Did they really get rid of Karel and Lili? Do any of the new characters at least mimic their move-list? I loved that charged explody-shot :cry:
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Luca Werfel's Rounder is based after Karel's and looks like it plays quite the same. Lili is now a support character, I have no idea what her ability is though.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

I knew about re-dash but not about hitting dash or shield to cancel. Thanks for the clarification.

The SnR2 player's guide has a list with pictures of all characters' attacks. I think I'm gonna go with Fabian/Lili and Theo/Gustav when the game finally comes out just judging by their danmakus.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

This game is apparently in arcades today. Didn't get a chance to check if it my spot got it or not yet.

System information updated on the site:

http://www.grev.co.jp/ronde2/system.html

Strongly encourage interested folks to pick up that Arcadia with strategy guide before we get to next month!
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

I can confirm DUO is full of pure WIN!

It looks much better than the Naomi version. Detailed backgrounds (and lots of em), neat visor reflections, cool new Final BOSS animations. The music is great.

Normal difficulty is quite easy. I got to the first bonus boss type character on my first credit. The game plays superbly. Senko always suited widescreen and its nice to see a HD version built from scratch. Dodging bullets in boss mode is far more realistic.

There are quite a few new gameplay additions. M+S is now a more defensive move and the charge attack is on a fourth button, C. Hitting S+C initiates your partners striker type move. They are all pretty much the same from a set of four selectable on the character screen, as well as Attack, Defence and Speed types. These are the paramiters that determine who your partner is. Partners are a bit of a gimmick but the idea is clearly there to balance the game and it works well.

Two things I didn't figure out yet in case anyone else has played it: 1. What are the differences between alpha and beta character types and 2. What determines how many boss and assist attacks you get? I've upped my boss number to 3 somehow and you seem to be able to charge 5 or 6!
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

SuperPang wrote:What are the differences between alpha and beta character types?
The difference between A and B cartridges are mainly slight changes to a character's main/sub attacks and BOSS attacks/movement, and some slight changes to their base stats. For example, main weapon might be more focused or more spread out, sub-weapon might have better/less homing, weapons might have more/less ammunition, character might be slightly faster/slower, character might have slightly stronger/weaker defence, BOSS might have different bullet patterns/movement options.

Dunno if you've ever seen/played the 360 port of the first one, but if you have, do you think Duo looks much better? If not, at least it's nice to hear such positive impressions of Duo. I want a 360 port ASAP.
:lol:
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

SuperPang wrote:What determines how many boss and assist attacks you get? I've upped my boss number to 3 somehow and you seem to be able to charge 5 or 6!
The bosses dont work the same as they did in the first game? there you got a boss every time you lost a round.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Cuilan wrote: The difference between A and B cartridges are mainly slight changes to a character's main/sub attacks and BOSS attacks/movement, and some slight changes to their base stats. For example, main weapon might be more focused or more spread out, sub-weapon might have better/less homing, weapons might have more/less ammunition, character might be slightly faster/slower, character might have slightly stronger/weaker defence, BOSS might have different bullet patterns/movement options.
They're more than subtle

And yes, much prettier than the port. More BG detail, sharper rounders with better textures.
Zaarock wrote: The bosses dont work the same as they did in the first game? there you got a boss every time you lost a round.
You're right. I'm looking for changes that aren't there :D

Assists seem to be one per round.

Really great game. Leaves me with no reason to want to play Senko 1 again, which is the sign of a good sequel. Feels like a very complete product this time.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Any links to videos, especially those in which I can listen to the OST? ;)
Rai82

Post by Rai82 »

Randorama wrote:Any links to videos, especially those in which I can listen to the OST? ;)
A coincidence you were talking about the OST, the soundtrack has been announced to be released on 2 discs. Link: http://sweeprecord.biz/?pid=15159472

Senko no Ronde Dis-United Order Soundtrack - 2940 yen (US$31)
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Randorama: GREVchannel is putting up vids showing moves for each character and the characters own stage/music. I love the music so far, definately getting the OST :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GREVchannel
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thanks a lot, I can't wait for the OST to come out then...

I am praying for at least one copy to reach Sydney. The local arcades seem to keep track of the large asian-australian population, but I don't know if Duo is too niche.