Axelay- what I WANT!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dpful

Axelay- what I WANT!

Post by dpful »

I would do ANYTHING for an axelay that had the side view levels ONLY. wouldn't you? There, I said it.
Is there a way to do this? Save states on emulators? delving into the program to change the level number and then burn it to chips to put in a cartridge? Any thoughts?
Neon

Post by Neon »

press start and then I think it's the X button...MUTEKI! will appear over your lives.

you can turn it off too....gives infinite lives.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Gaurdian Legend comes to mind for me. I hate the RPG sections :x but then the shooter setions aren't particulay hot IMO
alpha5099

Re: Axelay- what I WANT!

Post by alpha5099 »

dpful wrote:I would do ANYTHING for an axelay that had the side view levels ONLY. wouldn't you? There, I said it.
Is there a way to do this? Save states on emulators? delving into the program to change the level number and then burn it to chips to put in a cartridge? Any thoughts?
From my experience with axelay, I totally agree. I fucking hating that stupid Mode 7 effect.

However, if any game desperately needs to have half its levels spirited away in the night and drowned in a burlap sack, it's ThunderForce II. I've heard there are codes to skip the overhead shit, but I haven't bothered to investigate.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Neon wrote:press start and then I think it's the X button...MUTEKI! will appear over your lives.

I have never been able to make those cheats work. I believe they are internet fakes.
X - P - B
Neon

Post by Neon »

Incorrect. It worked for me back when I used to play Axelay.

Nowadays I'd rather play games that have no flaws :wink:
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Then I don't understand where to input the codes. Are they related? Invincibility and stage select I mean. I have the japanese version of Axelay, btw.
X - P - B
Neon

Post by Neon »

Just pause the game and press whatever buttons until "MUTEKI!" appears over your lives.

If it doesn't work, I guess it's a US or EURO only code (can't remember which region my rom was).
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

A hacked or beta version, likely. It's funny how half the English cheat sites claim the codes only work in the Japanese version while the Japanese cheat sites have no mention of them at all that I could find.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

What a bunch of whiners you guys are. These "other" levels are not that bad.
Its all part ot the complete package though...You must take the good with the bad here.

The ThunderForce II "top/Xevious" levels are actually quite short once you get a good pattern going. ANything over 5 minutes for either one, is way too long, as I once had patterns that only took about 3 minutes each.
nullstar

Post by nullstar »

Neon wrote:Just pause the game and press whatever buttons until "MUTEKI!" appears over your lives.
And when he says "'MUTEKI' appears over your lives," he means your ship is replaced with a flying version of the Ship Formerly Known As Simon Belmont. (This ship's "whip cannon" is highly ineffective against the spider boss, but - suprisingly - does considerable damage against the final boss once it starts going trans-dimensional on you.)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yeah... Back on topic, I really can't understand you. What's the problem with the mode 7 stages? They are nice vertical levels. I thought vertical fans were the majority here (disappointingly).

The mode 7 implementation is truly wonderful, so if I had to choose which set of stages to take out, I would eliminate the horiz stages for once, as they are derivative fillers and less striking. But really, the game greatness comes from the blend of the two, just as in Salamander.
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

nullstar wrote:
Neon wrote:Just pause the game and press whatever buttons until "MUTEKI!" appears over your lives.
And when he says "'MUTEKI' appears over your lives," he means your ship is replaced with a flying version of the Ship Formerly Known As Simon Belmont. (This ship's "whip cannon" is highly ineffective against the spider boss, but - suprisingly - does considerable damage against the final boss once it starts going trans-dimensional on you.)
This made me laugh. :lol:

Actually, Axelay already has a Morning Star weapon, so who knows, maybe the pilot is a Belmont descendant ^_^
X - P - B
Tony Gradius

Post by Tony Gradius »

I don`t like the vertical stages very much too. The auto-centering is annoying. At the first release of the game they were technically impressive but nowadays this cannot camouflage lacks in playability anymore. The vert stages are fare from being a complete mess, although. Just not as good as the hori-ones.
Leeram

Post by Leeram »

{leeram sticks his fingers in his ears} La la la la laaaaaaaaaa, I can't hear you, lala leeleleleleleee laaalaaaaa.

It's a brilliant game, all of it, every level.

Bet you all had Mega Drives...

Cheers

Leeram
landshark

Post by landshark »

Leeram wrote:{leeram sticks his fingers in his ears} La la la la laaaaaaaaaa, I can't hear you, lala leeleleleleleee laaalaaaaa.

It's a brilliant game, all of it, every level.

Bet you all had Mega Drives...

Cheers

Leeram
Right on Leeram.
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

Shit, Axelay is only one of the best shmups on the SNES. Give it some credit guys! They tried something new and they succeeded, IMO. And you have to admit that it was pretty impressive for it's time. I can remember when I first got the game. I was hooked for like a month straight. And that lava boss......oh man! The only thing I have against it is the slowdown that occurs on the vertical level bosses. Everything else made it a great experience.

One of the top 5 SNES shmups, IMO. 8)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I agree, Axelay is STILL an awesome shmup; IMO.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Mode 7 effects; just with the stupid auto-centering function in the vert. stages of Axelay. I would think this would be easier to to work with if you have a joystick, but I don't know anything about SNES joysticks.

Spriggan Powered for the Super Famicom has plenty of Mode 7 effects, but doesn't have the auto-centering.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Turrican wrote:
Neon wrote:press start and then I think it's the X button...MUTEKI! will appear over your lives.

I have never been able to make those cheats work. I believe they are internet fakes.
No it's not an Internet fake.
The cheat works on Axelay (U) [t] Rom. It's a trained Rom set. If your press left or Right on the title screen you can choose what level to start from. Also if you press X, you get invincibility (Muteki)

I find the Mode 7 level very cool & they blend very nicely with horizontal levels, even though I'm horizontal shmup fan.
That lava stage is awesome!

Oh By the way. The 4th vertical mode 7 stage, where you fly over the city with the cool lights & then you fight that huge orange colored witches-cone, hat mecha boss thing, reminds me a lot of the last scene in Matrix 3 where they fly over the machines city & then the head towards a similar mecha (Sentinels) that rises over the mountains & starts firing at them similar missiles as in Axelay! Neo reflects them with his powers from his hand though :shock: :D

Is this a coincidence or the animators of Matrix 3 were playing Axelay in their childhood?
:P :wink:
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I like both the vertical levels and the horizontal... hell, I even sorta like the scrolling levels in TF II. In that case, the hori levels are superior though. :lol: