Monitor smells funny....and other ptoblems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KBZ

Monitor smells funny....and other ptoblems

Post by KBZ »

Ya, so it seems that my monitor gives off a very bad smell of burning dust whenever it is in Tate. I've tried spraying all other the insides with compressed air, and eve started using the monitor without the enclosure, but to no avail.

I'm not sure what to do, should I take it in to a repair shop?

thanks,

King,
Last edited by KBZ on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=/
system11

Post by system11 »

If it's a monitor like a standard computer monitor, or a TV, or an Amiga/ST monitor, as soon as you tell the TV technicians you've been turning it on it's side, they're going to look like this:

o.O
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
dpful

Post by dpful »

If it's that distinct burnt dust smell, don't worry about it. It's just like when you turn on your furnace for the first time- the smell will go away eventually.

Nothing in there is hot enough to start a fire. It's just the smell of hot, oily dust.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

ya it's PVM monitor. Seems to be going away gradually. but it was pretty horrible the first time.
=/
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

ok, now I'm worried. I noticed that sometimes nothing would be displayed in RGB once in a while. Now when I was playing ibara on my supergun, the screen went black and none of my consoles would display anything through RGB. However, the s video is still working....

anyone ever have this problem?
=/
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

another update. With the supergun connected, the video comes in, flickers a bit, then displays splotches of the image several times, sometimes the whole image comes back, and then it will go black, rinse repeat.

The dc and ps2 however, will not display anything in the RGB
=/
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Is it all using the same RGB cord or different ones? Could be your TV's RGB connector is busted. Also make sure you didn't hit that 'Sync on Green' switch/button that's back there somewhere.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

I doubt that the connector is busted, and sync on green is off. I did flip the sync on green switch a couple times while the ps2 was on, could this have some negative effects?
=/
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Probably not. It just sounds like the cord or connector is messed up to me, I couldn't get any video at all when my +5v wasn't soldered on correctly.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

ok. i noticed the picture came back when I turned up the +5v on thr sg, but this only lasted for a couple minutes. I guess something needs replacing....
=/