Got sharpness settings on tv? Salvation for 480i signals!!!!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Got sharpness settings on tv? Salvation for 480i signals!!!!

Post by D »

For those who have sharpness on their tv

OK, call me a tate-nazi and a progressive scan-nazi.
I hate interlaced imagery :evil:
Well, I recently discovered a neat little trick to make it seem de-interlaced a bit. This is about tv's with the sharpness option on it. Normally this option is almost useless, for HD content. If you set your ps3 on 1080p on your 1080p capable tv and play a 1080p game or movie, this will most likely screw up your image. But I found out that sharpness actually does wonders for interlaced signals. 480i looks filtered and unsharp mish mesh. So you turn sharpness on on your tv! For 2D games I have it set 50% for 3D games you can get away with setting it even higher, like 75%.
Some might already know about it. I should really make some nice pictures for you guys. If I forget, hold me to my promise and urge me.

my tv is actually 720p and I have my ps3 set to upscale 480i to 720p.
So for this 720p signal it does wonders. I should try setting my ps3 to keep the p2 games on 480p and see if that yields even better results.
When I get back to the ps3 menu (real 720p) the sharpness settings kills my image and I throw up and have to put sharpness back to 0%.

I hope this might help somebody out there. This is no way a real solution. It just 'helps' a bit. It does make a difference.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

D..... suck it up and get and XRGB, you'll be happy.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
D

Post by D »

Strider77 wrote:D..... suck it up and get and XRGB, you'll be happy.
I will make pictures and post hem here, to prove my point.
and offcourse:
D wrote:This is no way a real solution. It just 'helps' a bit. It does make a difference.
So, do you have this sharpness option on your tv?
Now I know what it is for. It is used for unsharp images. Kinda straightforward, I know :oops:
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

yes but i don't need it for stuff like this.... I keep it a bit above mid range. I only use the PS3 for 3D PS2 games. anything low res gets pumped through the xrgb.... anything ugly and filtered gets sold and replaced with the PCB. Like the Mushi board I just bought.... :shock:
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?