the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Twiddle

the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Post by Twiddle »

recently i've been playing a lot of first person shooter game because 1) i missed the thrill of popping skulls and 2) my dexterity has been suffering a bit so i have to make that part relax

here's some first person shooter game i have been playing

1) team fortress 2 - the gameshow cum cartoon theme of the game really makes it stand out, while the mechanics won't win faux-complexity epeen awards it promotes teamplay excessively to the point where how well you work as a team is the only thing that matters

2) call of duty 4, arcade mode - holy shit, western developer makes an actual attempt at understanding arcade gameplay, rank and snipers included! unfortunately, as a save and reload designed shooter, there are parts that are literal iremesque impasses because you don't have the correct equipment (and you can't pick it up at that point because it's blocked by a wall of unstoppable enemy waves that serve as the invisible wall) or the enemy you need to eliminate in 1.5 seconds has spawned in/is set to a place where you can't actually shoot him down

3) lost planet - i just play this to bullshit on xbox live and hear the shrill whines of 12 year old kids who didn't get halo 3 yet

don't play these:

1) crysis - the epitome of "first person shooters are a showcase of just graphics gimmicks and nothing else" !!! when the highlight of your game is the physics bugs encountered while playing normally there really isn't anything good to say about it

2) fortress forever - the playerbase for this mod is an intolerable circlejerk that denigrates anything related to teamplay, which is (disregarding potential lawsuits) the reason why "team" was dropped out of its name

what other first person shooter game have you been playing and why
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have always been a fan of Counter-Strike Source. Always will be too. Just something about it... I have been playing it since CSS Beta, and I even went to TWL leagues (below CAL) for this game. Its just so much fun...
it290

Post by it290 »

TF2 is highly addictive. I recently encountered a player by the name of 'Granny67' or some such... lo and behold, she comes on the mic and she is actually a granny. Hearing an elderly lady say 'they're heading for the center point with a heavy weapons and two medics' beats everything.

I have been a bit let down by FPS games lately. Bioshock had pretty cool atmosphere for a while but the gameplay was mega-repetitive and 80% of the plasmids were totally worthless. UT3 is fun but somehow the gameplay just doesn't keep me playing like the original and UT2003/04 did. I've only played the demo of Crysis, doesn't look too exciting but I'll probably check it out when it's half price or so.

One game I have been playing a fair bit is STALKER, which I still haven't finished. It has quite a few rough spots, but overall a surprisingly fun game.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Call of Duty 4 (thanks SuperGrafx) has taken up far too much of my time already. Online is just so...pure...and rewards thought instead of just running and gunning. Other than my complaints about jackasses who lob grenades at the start of the match, noob tubing, or the overall power of a RDS on a LMG, it's a quality game. M16+RDS+Stopping Power=Win.

I also picked up Call of Duty 2 as it was cheap and I was impressed with what Infinity Ward did with 4. It's good, even if the physics are...sketchy. I really don't want to play any more WW2 shooters, however.

Jericho. My woman bought it for me for Christmas, among other things. Surprisingly good. Once you settle in to what abilities your teammates have, the game becomes pretty open, despite horribly cramped quarters.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Damocles wrote:Other than my complaints about jackasses who lob grenades at the start of the match, noob tubing, or the overall power of a RDS on a LMG
hello
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
RGC

Post by RGC »

Last edited by RGC on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

I've been playing a lot of COD4 lately trying to finish up those challenges. It's annoying that you have to basically rely on luck to accomplish Airborne, What the ?, and Dominoes though. I actually hated the MP when I first tried it out until I discovered Hardcore servers.

When I'm not playing COD4 you can usually find me playing TF2. I love everything about this game. Counter-Strike 1.6 is still king of online shooters for me but this is probably a very close second.

My friend gave me Crysis yesterday (he bought it thinking he could run it on his Dell laptop, discovered that's less likely than an asteroid hitting the earth, and decided to give it to me for free) but I have yet to try it out other than the first level to see how well my computer would hold up.
Peace Through Violence
StoofooEsq

Post by StoofooEsq »

As of late, Natural Selection is the only FPS I really bother to play. That and maybe occasional rounds of System Shock 2.

At some point, I think I just lost interest in the genre. That said, I've yet to play TF2, and I'm likely to not do so until I get a proper video card -- I'm pretty sure this Nvidia 7600GS won't quite cut it when it comes to handling loads of that particular game's activity onscreen at once.

Still, I get the feeling that Team Fortress 2 will revitalize my love for the genre, so I'll working on getting to play that sometime before 2008 is over.
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

Keeping it real with Hidden and dangerous 2. The online scene is very good, and so are the players but it seems that no one ever becomes godly in that game. I like that.
"There is nothing in Man's industrial machinery but greed and sloth: his heart is in his weapons" - the Devil
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

<3 tf2

I never see you on our sekrat sweaty neckbeard pink perky penis server anymore, twiddle :'( :'(
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

ArrogantBastard wrote:<3 tf2

I never see you on our sekrat sweaty neckbeard pink perky penis server anymore, twiddle :'( :'(
i play call of duty 4 ppp, the warezed variety

haven't bothered getting steve to fix the control panel to actually work
unban shw
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Half Life 2 and its episodic sequels. I like story-driven games, HL2 has one damn good plot and fascinating characters. The awesome visuals help too.
it290

Post by it290 »

At some point, I think I just lost interest in the genre. That said, I've yet to play TF2, and I'm likely to not do so until I get a proper video card -- I'm pretty sure this Nvidia 7600GS won't quite cut it when it comes to handling loads of that particular game's activity onscreen at once.
I dunno, remember it's just the HL2 engine with some fancy pants on. You might not be able to turn everything up to full, but I think a 7600GS should handle TF2 just fine.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Necronom

Re: the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Post by Necronom »

Twiddle wrote:1) crysis - the epitome of "first person shooters are a showcase of just graphics gimmicks and nothing else" !!! when the highlight of your game is the physics bugs encountered while playing normally there really isn't anything good to say about it
What do you mean by "normally"? With a blindfold covering your eyes?
Seriously, compared to the pretty but linear - invisible walls everywhere - COD4, Crysis gives you the opportunity to solve situations in a variety of ways and by that really feels more like a combat scenario than just another scripted roller coaster ride.
Besides that, Crysis editor tools will very likely result in some seriously cool mods and levels. This is not a short term product like COD 4, Crysis will grow over the time.
Twiddle

Re: the first person shooter game thread (eew fps)

Post by Twiddle »

Necronom wrote:
Twiddle wrote:1) crysis - the epitome of "first person shooters are a showcase of just graphics gimmicks and nothing else" !!! when the highlight of your game is the physics bugs encountered while playing normally there really isn't anything good to say about it
What do you mean by "normally"? With a blindfold covering your eyes?
Seriously, compared to the pretty but linear - invisible walls everywhere - COD4, Crysis gives you the opportunity to solve situations in a variety of ways and by that really feels more like a combat scenario than just another scripted roller coaster ride.
Yes, this is a good thing, but it's a good thing only when the action isn't shit and not fun to play. I'd rather have a linear game done well than a non-linear game done shittily and only has PRETTY GRAPHICS!!! to show for itself.

STALKER did it right, even though it was littered with bugs out the ass and it didn't deliver completely on its promises.
Besides that, Crysis editor tools will very likely result in some seriously cool mods and levels. This is not a short term product like COD 4, Crysis will grow over the time.
Not going to happen. First of all, the mod community is spread hilariously thin at this point, what with every half-competent production attempting to be a beacon for breaking in the game industry. Mods like SMOD and Zombie Master are more a rarity than a common occurrence these days.

Second, the effort required to make a good mod has skyrocketed since the Half-Life days, at which point you'd have to be an idiot not to want a job for working on good-looking warfare mod #783. Half-Life 2 and the Source SDK is the easiest base to work on at this point (to the point where it sucked up everyone doing mods for UT2004), and there isn't going to be much of a mod community for Crysis unless the tools are good to the point where the components of the mod make themselves.
unban shw
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I bought

Halo 3
Call of Duty 4 (PS3)

But with my new supergun and PCBs I just haven't made time yet to figure out what I think of them. I am looking forward to them, though.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Twiddle wrote:i play call of duty 4 ppp, the warezed variety

haven't bothered getting steve to fix the control panel to actually work
oh it's not accepting your steamid? try deleting any extra spaces before and after the steamid and it should work

every time i load up cod4 multiplayer, there's nobody on the server :(
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

they just got it fixed and it turns out i'm already registered! Image
unban shw
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I'm currently playing a good amount of Eternal Doom III, made by the same folks who made Final Doom (Team TNT). Massive levels, big enemies from the get go, and a good challenge thus far. Some rather nice GUS tunes in it too.

I'm also still playing Doom 3 and its expansion. I know lots of people complained "It's too dark! I can't see!", to which I say, "You're indoors and the lights are out. There are few windows around. It's going to be fucking dark". Sure, the monster closets are cheap, but the graphics, atmosphere, spot on controls, and challenge on "Nightmare", make for a fun game.

Haven't played HL2 Episode 1+2, Team Fortress 2, COD4, or any other recent FPSs (too broke).
kengou

Post by kengou »

Why do you hate Crysis so much, Twiddle? It looks great, true, and it also plays great. Its nonlinear gameplay that lets you make quick tactical decisions, switch up your tactics on the fly with the nanosuit abilities, and tackle situations in any way you please is just refreshing and fun. It really feels much more immersive because of it. If you see a group of soldiers, you personally make the decision about whether or not to run at them, guns blazing, or sneak near them and take them out one at a time, or lob some grenades, or rush them and punch them in the face, or snipe them from a distance, or run over them with a car, or shoot the trunk of a tree to cause it to fall over and crush them, or you can even just stealth past them completely and not even engage them.

I think this is my second favorite FPS after the entire Half-Life 2 series (it's all pretty much the same level of awesome so it all ties itself). You really should play through it before you judge it. You don't even need an amazing computer to run it; if you can run TF2 on max settings, you can probably play Crysis on at least low. My computer is mid spec at best and it can run it on low to medium settings, and it still looks better than every other game out there.

That said, I did enjoy COD4 immensely, especially arcade mode. And Team Fortress 2 is my #1 online game right now. This was a great past year for FPSes, that's for sure, what with all of that plus Bioshock, which was just superb.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

unban shw
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Twiddle wrote:immersive gameplay
A survivor of sorts from the USS Eldridge and its 'experiment'?
kengou

Post by kengou »

Twiddle wrote:immersive gameplay
I have personally experienced maybe two graphical glitches in the hours and hours I've been playing it. All games have some of that. It doesn't mean the game is bad if it has some rare physics glitches.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Playing the Orange box on 360 lately. It's the first time I have played HL2 due to having a POS computer.

Portal is awesome. HL2 is good but some things irritate me. The hovercraft thing and buggy trip to the prison are a bit drawn out IMO and seem to take a rather large chunk of the gameplay time in this game and I'm not too fond of how they control.

I personally find the atmosphere very depressing, in that way it succeeds in creating a very oppressive enemy and an immediate and important sense for Freeman to get his ass moving and stopping these fuckers but it's all so serious. Could have used a bit of humor.
kengou

Post by kengou »

No_not_like_Quake wrote:Playing the Orange box on 360 lately. It's the first time I have played HL2 due to having a POS computer.

Portal is awesome. HL2 is good but some things irritate me. The hovercraft thing and buggy trip to the prison are a bit drawn out IMO and seem to take a rather large chunk of the gameplay time in this game and I'm not too fond of how they control.

I personally find the atmosphere very depressing, in that way it succeeds in creating a very oppressive enemy and an immediate and important sense for Freeman to get his ass moving and stopping these fuckers but it's all so serious. Could have used a bit of humor.
It's a serious game with a serious story to tell. I think the way it conveys that story, and the atmosphere of City 17 and elsewhere, is absolutely perfect. I agree that the boat and car sequences are a little irritating after a while, but not enough to make the game any less than my favorite video game of all time. You'll be happy to know that Episode 1 has no vehicle portions, and the car sequences in Episode 2 are much better.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

I can't recommend Painkiller enough for those of you who miss the mindless shooting of the early Doom days.
You know it's fun when there's no jump button!
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Gameshow cum cartoon theme? okay, now I'm certain to avoid this game, thanks for the heads up.

I loved wolfenstein as a kid, but sadly I just know too many people who have either been shot or shot someone to really get any satisfaction from the genre. I loved Metroid Prime, but its not really a true FPS. I want to try Portal as I hear its more of a puzzle game.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I played Elmknight recently, a primitive mecha FPS by Micro Cabin released back in 1992 for PC-98 and FM-Towns (keyboard required). It's heavily story-based, so much so that it has a ~20 minute-long unskippable intro as well as constant unskippable cutscenes in and after battles. The good part is that there's adventure-esque exploration areas too; the bad part is that you can only face cardinal directions and the controls are pretty shabby.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

kengou wrote:
No_not_like_Quake wrote:Playing the Orange box on 360 lately. It's the first time I have played HL2 due to having a POS computer.

It's a serious game with a serious story to tell. I think the way it conveys that story, and the atmosphere of City 17 and elsewhere, is absolutely perfect. I agree that the boat and car sequences are a little irritating after a while, but not enough to make the game any less than my favorite video game of all time. You'll be happy to know that Episode 1 has no vehicle portions, and the car sequences in Episode 2 are much better.
I'm anxious to get to the Episodes. I'm probably close to the end of HF2, even if some things irritate me it is a very good game.

I wish I could get a refund for the XBLA version of Marathon. Bought it due to a lot of old school Mac fans fawning over this thing. I find it dreadful.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

They haven't aged that well, but back in the day there was nothing quite like it, especially the second one.
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.