RQ: Dodonpachi hitbox

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
MovingTarget

RQ: Dodonpachi hitbox

Post by MovingTarget »

Ok I know its small, but I cant quite figure out where it is, would anyone like to describe where exactly on type A the hitbox is? In some shmups its not dead centre, and it'd be handy to know.

Know thy enemy attack pattern.
it290

Post by it290 »

If anyone has the info, I'd love to see the type C hitbox as well.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I need the Type B hitbox plz.... :oops:
Venom

Post by Venom »

This is where I've always taken it to be. It's around that diamond thing in the middle. Might not be a long as I've drawn though.
Fascination...
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Thanks venom, it makes sense it being there :D I'll take it as being the diamon shape in the middle.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

After playing around a bit, the type A hitbox is as Venom said, type B is the little box thingo on top of the rotor, type C is the little box thing towards the back of the ship. In Donpachi the hitboxes seem to be in about the same places, but maybe slighty bigger and harder to find.
-ReK
Kewing Darksun

Post by Kewing Darksun »

From my experiences with the game, the hitbox for Type-C should be like this:

That's the vital area. The actual hitbox might be 1 or 2 pixels bigger, but I don't really know exactly.

Any suggestions/corrections are more than welcomed :)
Just a couple more shots!!!
TrevHead (TVR)

Re: RQ: Dodonpachi hitbox

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Heres some other pictures of APPROXIMATION hitboxes of the 3 ships.

I found these on the french shmups.com site with a shitload of other hitbox images including Guwange of which all ours are dead.
Heres the thread http://forum.shmup.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1&start=60
And heres the place where i got the ddp pics from (thx goto San for posting the original pics) http://sanch3z.free.fr/hitbox/

Maybe a mod could save the pic files so we can never have em go dead in the future. Possibly putting them up on a thread of their own where more pictures can be added and kept for prosperity.
Last edited by TrevHead (TVR) on Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:I found these on the french shmups.com site with a shitload of other hitbox images including Guwange of which all ours are dead.
Heres the thread http://forum.shmup.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1&start=60
And heres the place where i got the ddp pics from (thx goto San for posting the original pics) http://sanch3z.free.fr/hitbox/
Those are approximation and not accurate (especially c-type), as mentioned previously here.
ncp

Post by ncp »

[incorrect hitbox picture goes here]
Last edited by ncp on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I haven't gone back to DDP in a long while, but remember it being a bit longer including the cockpit area than just the front glass part...but could be my tests didn't account for bullet hit boxes?.. :|
ncp

Post by ncp »

I've never actually done "tests" for it before that's just how it seemed to me after a bunch of play time. I was pretty sure in my previous picture though, but that can't compare to someone who actually tested it, heh. So I figured out how to make mame run slow and did some testing at 1/5th speed. You're right about it being higher up. This is my new estimate:

This is a 4x5. 1 pixel row shaved off the bottom of my previous picture, and 2 pixel rows added on top.
Evidence pictures:

Didn't die on any of them, even that bottom left one, lol. It's hard to tell the angle of the bullets, but most of the bullets are moving sideways between 45 and 90 degrees (except the bottom left and bottom middle). It MIGHT even be 4x6 with another row on top, although I don't think so...

Is that more in line with your tests?

Deleted the other picture since I was definitely wrong on that one.

I'd like to get 100% accurate hitbox pictures for each type since it comes up every once in a while and all the existing pictures are approximations. Help me out here :lol:
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Ahh thx for the info chaps, although I havnt done any tests myself ive noticed that the bottom left pic bullet (2nd stage boss) has a really odd hitbox as just by the look of it one would think it to be the same size as the sprite.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

It should at least be the same width as the sprite (2 px). Since the smallest bullets usually have the least non-lethal areas, they should be the best for finding the actual sizes. 4x5/4x6 sounds accurate, btw.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Square King

Post by Square King »

Logically, type C HAS NO HITBOX