GD: Trizeal

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Kiken

GD: Trizeal

Post by Kiken »

I figured we ought to have a general tactics thread for this game since more and more of you guys are receiving your copies.

General info I can contribute:

It does appear that you unlock an extra credit for every hour you play.

To obtain a stage in score attack mode, you must simply beat the level in Arcade mode (you may use continues).

Beating stage 2 will open up the Lifting game.

Beating stage 6 will open up the Omake stage (which is an alternate route of stage 2 really... passing over a jungle instead of a city, but you still fight the same boss).

The boss bonus for each stage is simply the stage number times 100,000: i.e., the stage 4 boss is worth 400,000 (4 x 100,000). Meaning that boss destruction alone contributes a total of 2.1 million points.

For each bomb remaing at the end of the level, you are awarded 10,000 pts.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Has anyone been able to get 100% at the end of stage bonus? I'm assuming it's shoot down percentage. If you got 100%, is it just 100,000 pts.? Or more?
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

For perfect 100% enemy shootdown, there is the extra bonus 50,000 points, in addition to normal 100,000.

Medal value progression: 10->20->30->40->50->100->500->1000 (reset to 1st if single medal drops off screen)
It appears the value is raised after collection of medal, not just enemy shootdown. So for example, if the player shoots two enemies at once, they will get the same value and not increase till collected. It's a small point.

Difference between 1st and 2nd player ships: 2nd player is slightly faster movement (tradition of Triangle Service previous work), weapon laser is more centered formation, especially with weapon combo technique.

Hit-box is different for item collecting and enemy fire, it seems.

Anyone found the requirement to unlock XIISTAG and the 'mystery' orange ship (some player in DC net ranking is shown to use)?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

oxtsu wrote:Anyone found the requirement to unlock XIISTAG and the 'mystery' orange ship (some player in DC net ranking is shown to use)?
The code for the XII Stag ship is listed in the manual (on the next to last page, I believe). I'll look it up when I get back home (as I'm at work at the moment).

And isn't the orange ship the 2P version of the XII Stag ship?
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

I have translated (well Babelfish has) a full japanese walkthrough, if you PM me your email address I'll send it over ASAP. Cheers.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Thanks Kiken. I haven't bothered to look in the manual at all. :oops:

About the orange ship being the 2P XIISTAG: Looking again, I think this is correct.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ok, the XII Stag ship code is on page 12, and is:

At the Arcade Mode title screen enter:

Right, Left, Left, Shot Button x 12
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

-Is there a confirmed correlation between rank and weapon power-ups (IE. it is best to just stick with one weapon?)

-Is there a good way to quickly kill the dragons in stage 1?
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

CMoon wrote:-Is there a good way to quickly kill the dragons in stage 1?
I usually trigger them by shooting the purple ships with the laser. IIRC, by that time, my laser is powered up fully and my vulcan is at level two or three. I then just stay in the safe spot in the middle of the screen and wait for the dragons to get roasted by my laser. When a powerup floats my direction, I switch to the vulcan and pick it up, but don't switch back to the laser, as the vulcan/laser combination seems to kill the dragons even more quickly.

Of course this method totally ignores chaining the medals, so it's obviously not the best one available, but at least you can kill all the dragons that way.

Be prepared for the first boss to get really angry, though, as you will have powered up considerably from the powerup icons the dragons left.

EDIT: It's even easier to trigger the dragons with the vulcan instead of the laser. It's also easier to kill all dragons with the vulcan when sitting in the safe spot. But as I said before, you're missing all the yummy medals they leave.
Last edited by Herr Schatten on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

On ther first boss there's ABSOLUTELY NO reason to loose a life during the first incarnation (out of 3) of it's attacks. Simply staying in the middle of the screen and keep firing wil dispose it without any trouble. Make sure you start moving after the yellow line is gone and the yellow bar for the second incarnation comes up (You are not longer safe in the middle from that point on).
Guess I am stating the obvious, but just thought I'd mention it. :roll:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

CMoon wrote:-Is there a confirmed correlation between rank and weapon power-ups (IE. it is best to just stick with one weapon?)
You sort of alluded to this question in the 'impressions' thread which I responded. Missed it here, so I'll re-post:

From Rhydeen primarily...

Rank is either on or off (only 2 variation) and it comes after collecting 8 power-up icons (though if the weapon is already maxed, collecting another will not count towards this). Using the combo-weapon technique doesn't have any bearing in this case. For example, a low-rank strategy would be weapon power like this --'Vulcan-level 5, Laser- 4, Missile - 1 (this is 7 power-up icon). However, it's not so advantageous to have the low-rank, most notably since it will also lessen the slowdown which is making dodging more difficult later on.

Also, when dying in the stage the boss defense power weakens, though it's not certain this point.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I tried some runs with rank down yesterday and it's a double edged sword, really. It makes the boss fights considerably easier, because you won't see some of the bosses nastier attacks, but in exchange it makes the stages actually tougher, as you will not only have less of the sometimes rather helpful slowdown, but you will also take longer to kill certain enemies.

A prime example of this are the two big rotating cannons in stage 3, which can be dispatched easily before they start to fire if you are full powered up, but can get really nasty when rank is down and you just can't kill them quickly enough.

I assume that you will eventually have to power up once you get beyond stage 4, as shooting the enemies in stage 5 with low weapon power feels like attacking a tank with a can opener.

Now for something different: Can anyone point me to a good strategy against the stage 4 boss?

No problems with his first form, but I get into trouble after he detaches the gunpods. I could cope with his attacks, but with the gunpods aiming at me and the blue ships constantly sneaking up from behind me I get confused quickly, so I usually die if I don't bomb. Any hints?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Herr Schatten wrote:A prime example of this are the two big rotating cannons in stage 3, which can be dispatched easily before they start to fire if you are full powered up, but can get really nasty when rank is down and you just can't kill them quickly enough.
Did you watch my video that I posted right after the game came out? Note how I sit directly on top of the guns... this is a massive blindspot. You should be able to take them out quite easily even if all your weapons are level 1 using this tactic.
Herr Schatten wrote: I assume that you will eventually have to power up once you get beyond stage 4, as shooting the enemies in stage 5 with low weapon power feels like attacking a tank with a can opener.
I've been playing through the game using only powered-up laser (I leave both missile and wide at level 1) and can single-life to stage 5. I've been working heavily on stage 5 tactics, and really only the spinning guns section and the boss (those stupid yellow boomerangs) stand between me and a no miss of the level.

Last night, I managed to break 860,000 in the score attack mode of stage 5 (although, the score is inelligible for the score comp since I started the stage with level 5 laser).

You can effectively attack a tank with a can opener... if you know where and how to do it. ;)
Herr Schatten wrote: Now for something different: Can anyone point me to a good strategy against the stage 4 boss?

No problems with his first form, but I get into trouble after he detaches the gunpods. I could cope with his attacks, but with the gunpods aiming at me and the blue ships constantly sneaking up from behind me I get confused quickly, so I usually die if I don't bomb. Any hints?
Unfortunately, given the heavy randomness factor at this boss, I have to bomb (normally twice). :( There's just not much you can do actively to control the environment here.

Unless it's possible to destroy his wing-guns seperately...
jp

Post by jp »

Just FYI:

In level 4, if you destroy all the battleships towards the middle of the stage, a "surprise" (much like the dragons) shows up afterwards. Its pretty neat, and if you destroy all the "enemy ships" during this part you get yet another surprise that is worth 10,000 pts.

Also, I hate how in level 4, in the asteroid level, if you die you're pretty much done. There isn't much you can do in that section and especially against the boss if you have low level weapons. Bastards. :cry:
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

There's also a little bonus in stage five right when you enter the chasm with all of the bridges. If you see some sort of helicopter carrying some white silhouetted figures, you get a score bonus (10K I think). You probably have to wipe out the docked battleships earlier on, but I'm not too sure exactly what's required to trigger this bonus.

On another note, is it even feasible to get 100% desctruction AND maintain your 1000 point medal chain throughout an entire stage?

Edit: can't you fly on top of those turrets without colliding into them in stage three? Well, there's also the little problem of those fighters that flank the screen too, so I guess you won't be safe either way.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

2 questions:

When all weapons are at level five, it is possible to have the secondary weapons (the ones not in use) at level 2 instead of level 1. I have noticed that several times (the slightly wobbly laser and the bigger missiles were clearly visible).
The question is: How? The secondary weapons seem to reset to level 1 at the beginning of each new stage. I seem to have been able to push them to level 2 again by collecting 1 extra powerup for eacj weapon in stage 3, but when I tried the same in stage 4, nothing happened. So what's up there? Any clue?

When using the laser, the small energy blasts that create shockwaves when they hit enemies do by far the most damage. Is there any pattern to their appearance? The blasts seem totally random to me. If there's a way to trigger them somehow, that would be very useful in the breakout scenes.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

Herr Schatten wrote:
CMoon wrote:-Is there a good way to quickly kill the dragons in stage 1?
I then just stay in the safe spot in the middle of the screen and wait for the dragons to get roasted by my laser.
Having trouble finding the "safe spot" myself, any chance of someone posting a screenshot or bit more precise info.

Many thanks.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

davidholliss wrote:Having trouble finding the "safe spot" myself, any chance of someone posting a screenshot or bit more precise info.
It's exactly in the middle of the screen. DON'T MOVE. It will look like the bullets will hit you, but instead they will pass in a circle around you. Quite scary, but it works.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

thanks, will try it out later, think I've always twitched/moved in the past :)
icepick

Post by icepick »

davidholliss wrote:thanks, will try it out later, think I've always twitched/moved in the past :)
That's definitely the more-fun way to do it. :D

Herr Schatten- I think the more-powerful secondary weapons thing is actually a visual quirk which happens when you're holding a rapid fire button and then you press (or hold) a rapid trans button. It looks like the secondary weapons are more powerful, but I don't think that they actually are (though I could be wrong).

As for the laser energy pulses... I know what you mean; I've tried moving around weirdly, and using different firing patterns, but I think that it's time-based (every three or four seconds). I'm definitely keen as well if anyone knows a way of triggering them, though.
\\ /\/\ \
it290

Post by it290 »

I haven't timed it, but I have been experimenting with releasing the laser and then refiring it a second or so later, it seems to trigger the energy pulses a bit quicker sometimes, but not always. The slowdown in this game is so variable that it's hard to judge things that are timing-related.

edit - oh yeah, they will always fire off immediately if you haven't fired for a bit, which is useful for the 1st level breakout -- don't continuously fire, but wait for the next ship wave to appear and then start firing (even better if you time it so that the pulse hits the enemy right as they enter your ship's plane).
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

Herr Schatten wrote:
davidholliss wrote:Having trouble finding the "safe spot" myself, any chance of someone posting a screenshot or bit more precise info.
It's exactly in the middle of the screen. DON'T MOVE. It will look like the bullets will hit you, but instead they will pass in a circle around you. Quite scary, but it works.
Found safe spot now thanks, but didn't manage to improve my stage 1 score :(
Thanks though.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

For the Stage 1 dragons, I usually position myself on teh bottom-left corner of the screen for the first wave, and take them out as quickly as possible, grabbing medals whenever possible. I always try to kill the dragon on the bottom-left corner first, followed by the one positioned on the middle-left heading downwards, sometimes I get a few 1000 pt medals out of the deal.

The most attack waves I've gotten is 5, ended up with 304,780 pts before the boss battle. If I'd have grabbed more medals, that score could have been at least 20,000 pts higher.

And a nice way to get a good 5000 extra points off the Stage 1 boss "SCARAB" is to destroy those two sliding turrets during it's first phase. Plus, it makes SCARAB's second phase a lot easier. Not sure if it's side turrets can be taken out in the same fashion.
Herr Schatten wrote:No problems with his first form, but I get into trouble after he detaches the gunpods. I could cope with his attacks, but with the gunpods aiming at me and the blue ships constantly sneaking up from behind me I get confused quickly, so I usually die if I don't bomb. Any hints?
If you have a good weapon, go for those gunpods one at a time (or two at a time, if they're parallel to each other and you've got a maxed-out Laser) before dealing with the boss. And of course, you can always bomb. One bomb gets rid of all those gunpods right off the bat.

As for the blue ships in the asteriod section/Boss, just pay attention to your surroundings. One of the things I like about this game is that sometimes, you can see your enemies flying around out of your range before they attack (like the attack formations in Stage 3 that fly underneath the mothership before coming at you). In this case, the blue ships will appear in the background towards the bottom half of the screen, and then back away. That's your cue to be on your guard, as that ship will start attacking from behind in a few seconds. If you can reactly quickly to their initial position when they start attacking, you can destroy them quite easily as they'll arc upward a bit, allowing you to sneak in underneath and blast 'em to Hell. However just like the other enemies in the Asteroid section, they like to start firing when you're in their sights.
Last edited by Skyline on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

icepick wrote:I think the more-powerful secondary weapons thing is actually a visual quirk which happens when you're holding a rapid fire button and then you press (or hold) a rapid trans button. It looks like the secondary weapons are more powerful, but I don't think that they actually are (though I could be wrong).
I don't think they are more powerful, too. It really just seems to be a graphical glitch. I can't see it having something to do with rapid trans, though. It rather seems that the game sometimes (often at the start of a new stage) decides to display the laser and the missiles downgraded (even when you switch to them as the primary weapon) although they aren't.

Often I can get the laser and missiles to be displayed at full power again if I just pick up another powerup for each of them. Then the game displays them at full power even if I switch to another weapon as my primary one. Strange thing, that.

Looks quite impressive, actually, having all the weapons at level five. I have taken a picture of it yesterday. If someone is able to host it, everyone could have a look and tell me what they think.
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

Herr Schatten wrote:Looks quite impressive, actually, having all the weapons at level five. I have taken a picture of it yesterday. If someone is able to host it, everyone could have a look and tell me what they think.
email it over to trizeal@gmail.com and I'll upload and post URL ASAP

EDIT: pic is here: http://tinyurl.com/cusfr
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

damn, i just got this game, did a test run for it in 15 mins, man, game is nice :D

anyways, i am still getting used to the system, hmm...
btw, what score is shown in the Ranking password thingy? arcade mode?
KY
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

By pressing left and right on the Ranking screen, you can view the top scores/passwords for Arcade, Score Attack Stages 1-6, Lifting Game, and Omake Stage.

Passwords are only given for the highest score reached, on default settings.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

ok, managed to 1C both 1st adn 1nd stage... the 3rd stage's boss give me a hard time cuz of all the normal enemies around...

anyways, i decied to try out the XII Stag ship... seems cool, but what exactly si the "pres leftright rapidly" do? is the the same as Psyvariar?
KY
icepick

Post by icepick »

Herr Schatten wrote:Looks quite impressive, actually, having all the weapons at level five. I have taken a picture of it yesterday. If someone is able to host it, everyone could have a look and tell me what they think.
I agree! Especially in comparison to the firepower displayed after... making a silly mistake with a "mode 2" boss. The game almost reminds you of how weak you actually are, with such situations. :lol:
RoninBuddha wrote:anyways, i decied to try out the XII Stag ship... seems cool, but what exactly si the "pres leftright rapidly" do? is the the same as Psyvariar?
Not exactly. :wink:

I inquired about something similar in the first of the big Trizeal threads, and Thunder Force gave the lowdown:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7902#7902

There was a mention in one of the more recent threads regarding the absence of the XIISTAG multiplier, but I think that most of these points are still valid.

Basically, pressing right and then left quickly will cause a level one "side attack" to the right, while pressing right and then left twice quickly will generate a level two side attack. The same can be done to the left (reversing the directions), and wiggling the stick/pad like a crazy person will cause side attacks to fly all over the place. I'm pretty sure that it's best experienced (and used) with a joystick that will withstand a beating, so, I'm waiting until I get one to play with the ship. 8)

I'm currently tackling S.A. stage 2, so that I can get a feel for the level and finish it more consistently in arcade mode... That second-level boss makes me excited every time when it throws out those multiple attacks. I love this game! :mrgreen:
\\ /\/\ \
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

^much needed info there:D thanks...

another newbish question... what is LIFTING?? do i just have to defeat everything? (i die early on, so i never got to see happens after the lost ruins part./..
KY