Looking for programers for a shmup

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
kazamayoshikuni

Looking for programers for a shmup

Post by kazamayoshikuni »

I'm working with 3 other people on a Dreamcast Shmup and we need some programmers.

we're also taking ideas we're thinking Hybrid style (Hori/vert) with a Cave like art style.

No name, or other concepts yet just that it's hori/vert in the style of a cave shmup with a few elements from our personal faves
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Sounds cool. 8)

If you are planing to avoid using previously copyrighted material in your game, you can try the community in my sig. There are some programmers here too but they seem to be busy with work and tied up with professional shmuppery.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

Thanks! I am one of the three members involved so far. We will definitely check that out
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
kazamayoshikuni

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:Sounds cool. 8)

If you are planing to avoid using previously copyrighted material in your game, you can try the community in my sig. There are some programmers here too but they seem to be busy with work and tied up with professional shmuppery.
Yeah this is going to be 100% original.

thanks for the linkage
OldSchoolGamer86

Post by OldSchoolGamer86 »

Hello. I am another one of the 3 so far involved in this project. We are very dedicated and obviously do not plan on making a great game...i hope it turns out well for our first. It will definitely take some time but hopefully we can make this atleast a bit enjoyable for the shmup community.

We want to make it on Dreamcast but we are also looking into other platforms. I am not sure yet if Dreamcast or PC would be easier to go for...considering its our 1st project....but we will see. Contact either myself, kazamayoshikuni, or overkill if you want to get in on this.

kazamayoshikuni

The Quality is up to the programers and artists.

I have VERY high Expectations but I'm reasonable.
Motorherp

Post by Motorherp »

OldSchoolGamer86 wrote:Hello. I am another one of the 3 so far involved in this project. We are very dedicated and obviously do not plan on making a great game...i hope it turns out well for our first. It will definitely take some time but hopefully we can make this atleast a bit enjoyable for the shmup community.

We want to make it on Dreamcast but we are also looking into other platforms. I am not sure yet if Dreamcast or PC would be easier to go for...considering its our 1st project....but we will see. Contact either myself, kazamayoshikuni, or overkill if you want to get in on this.

If it's your first game then I'd suggest sticking to PC for now. Creating games for the PC has the advantage that you can program pretty much unrestricted and nearly completely disassociated from the hardware (assuming you're not trying to create the next uber game anyway). Programming for consoles however is a little more tricky, partly because you'll need knowledge of the underlying hardware and how to manipulate it, but also because the tools and libraries for working on consoles are pretty primitive compared to those for the PC, plus you'll find it harder to get help if you get stuck.

Like P_O says, if you want to get involved with the shmup development community we've got you're more than welcome. Just head on over and itnroduce yourself and the project.

:: SHMUP-DEV ::
- what it says on the tin
kazamayoshikuni

Well it depends on what programers jump aboard on this. I can't program or do art but I've played my share of Shmups enough to know what I'm looking for.

Essentally I'm the project's Exec Producer I'm also writing the story and over seeing the music.
Shion

Post by Shion »

Good luck with your project, but may I ask why you are making it for the DC?

From what I know, the DC is a pretty dead console (and has always been pretty dead). I expect the amount of people who can play home brew on it to be even smaller. Unless it's easier to code for DC than for any other platform, I'm curious about your motivation.

Sadly I'm busy on my own project, else I'd gladly offer my help. I hope it works out for you guys :)
indstr

Post by indstr »

Shion wrote:Good luck with your project, but may I ask why you are making it for the DC?
good points. the fanbase will be exponentially larger on PC
kazamayoshikuni

DC because of it's ease of use and the fact that I have one.

PC we'd have to worry about compatibility in the future with other OSes and my friends all have Macs..........
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

I think we would be better served to keep it open between PC and DC right now and depending on the programmer we find, decide then.

It is really up to him/her in the first place. We would be hard pressed I think (or maybe I am wrong) to find a programmer who has developed for the DC. I think it is much more common to come across someone who knows a simple programming language for PC
Last edited by overkill55 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
kazamayoshikuni

Homebrew projects are you know.......done in sparetime on no budget.

Just as long as things stay as close to my vision as possible I'm happy