Darius 2 Screen Types

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
RoninBuddha

Darius 2 Screen Types

Post by RoninBuddha »

for those who liked the Darius series, i noticed that Darius 2/Saigaia for aracde had a two monitor and a 3 monitor types... are the games different in a way cuz the dual screen would seem less horizontal... does this affect gameplay?
KY

Post by Guest »

Of course, the screen is 2/3 as big, so it appears they just removed the middle screen and shuffled a couple things around and everything else remained the same pretty much. I'd say it probably makes it more difficult. Less screen area means less room to dodge attacks, and I'm pretty sure the number of enemies that attack you isn't reduced any because of the screen size difference. The sprites are all the same size, too.

The first two Darius arcade games aren't exactly the two greatest games ever made. Obviously the screen size makes it just ridiculous playing it on MAME, they are insanely difficult, the ship moves way too slow, and the screen is so saturated with enemies that it is virtually impossible to get any type of momentum going without constantly dying.

I find it easier just to go with some of the home console ports of the Darius games, because you can play on a rational screen size, and the difficulty is considerably reduced. Darius 2(Sagaia) on Sega Genesis is a pretty good conversion, and also go for the Turbo CD version if you can find it.
system11

Post by system11 »

The 3 screen Darius II only existed so that operators with Ninja Warriors and Darius 3 screen cabinets could fit the board as a kit.

Original Darius II cabinets are twin screen, the game is designed to be a twin screen.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

One aggravating thing in Darius II is that ALL your weapons are gone if you lose a ship. The difficulty level in the final stages I actually find tougher than Darius Gaiden. Die late, and the odds against you finishing the game from there will skyrocket. The "death penalty" should've been kept as is from the first game.
Kinect? KIN NOT.