RQ: Mushihime-sama Slowdown on PS2

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
fafu

RQ: Mushihime-sama Slowdown on PS2

Post by fafu »

I'm new to the board, so first: Hi all!

Hope you can help me with the following issues:

1) When the sreen is covered with bullets the game lags. Is the slowdown intentional to give the player better chances to maneuver through the patterns? Is ist just the PS2 which cant't handle it?

2) In Arcade Mode you can set the difficulty between "ultra easy" and "ultra hard" or sth like that. Does this also affect Arrange Mode cause I can't find any selction for it?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

1) The PS2 can't handle it, as it has different speed than the PCB at parts, as well.
2) I don't think it does.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
fafu

Post by fafu »

Thanks for your help. Does that mean - in other words - that Arrange Mode has only one difficulty?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Yes. Arrange is a much easier game, anyway.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
fafu

Post by fafu »

Okay, got it. Thx.

I think you're right. This is what makes Arrange an interesting mode for starters like me. You don't have to worry when to drop a bomb, so you can concentrate fully on memorizing. In FinalFantasy the feature would be called "auto-phoenix" I think..
lgb

Post by lgb »

More like auto-grenade, because Phoenix Downs don't screw up your game (scorewise).
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

wtf auto-phoenix has kinda nothing to do with auto-bomb?
what a ridicilous comparison.
Kiken

Re: RQ: Mushihime-sama Slowdown on PS2

Post by Kiken »

fafu wrote:1) When the sreen is covered with bullets the game lags. Is the slowdown intentional to give the player better chances to maneuver through the patterns? Is ist just the PS2 which cant't handle it?
Pretty much all danmaku games do this. There's something of a threshhold in each one for the number of projectiles on-screen that it takes to cause the game to slow down.

Twiddle, however, is right in that the slowdown between the PCB and PS2 port are inconsistant. The PCB has a bit more in certain areas and has smoother transitions between regular speed and slow motion.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Kiken wrote: Twiddle, however, is right in that the slowdown between the PCB and PS2 port are inconsistant. The PCB has a bit more in certain areas and has smoother transitions between regular speed and slow motion.
What you say is true of Original and Maniac modes, but it should be noted that PS2 Ultra mode has MORE slowdown than the PCB Ultra mode. PS2 just can't handle that much stuff on screen, apparently. Arrange mode also has glitches where the on screen display will disappear for a second when there's too much going on on the screen.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

EOJ wrote:What you say is true of Original and Maniac modes, but it should be noted that PS2 Ultra mode has MORE slowdown than the PCB Ultra mode. PS2 just can't handle that much stuff on screen, apparently. Arrange mode also has glitches where the on screen display will disappear for a second when there's too much going on on the screen.
Well... how much of that is ineffectual hardware vs ineffective programming (remember who ported it)?

As for Arrange Mode, the whole thing seemed tacked-on at the last minute anyway. I'm not really surprised that it suffers from several off-the-wall glitches.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Kiken wrote:Twiddle, however, is right in that the slowdown between the PCB and PS2 port are inconsistant. The PCB has a bit more in certain areas and has smoother transitions between regular speed and slow motion.
Man, it's the transitions I hate the most. It jumps from super slow back up to full speed WAY too fast at some parts. It's too bad Arika didn't do the port of Mushi, as I never have this problem with ESPgaluda or DOJ.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

Arvandor wrote:
Kiken wrote:Twiddle, however, is right in that the slowdown between the PCB and PS2 port are inconsistant. The PCB has a bit more in certain areas and has smoother transitions between regular speed and slow motion.
Man, it's the transitions I hate the most. It jumps from super slow back up to full speed WAY too fast at some parts. It's too bad Arika didn't do the port of Mushi, as I never have this problem with ESPgaluda or DOJ.

Yeah it actually is THIS reason, why slowdowns do not really help you at all.
Its like you die when the pattern ends because of the painful transition, and not actually while dodging it.
But i noticed this in kinda every shmup for console (with slowdowns), this is why on console ported always are in a disadvantage.

..well at least a pcb doesnt have such a cool artwork gallery like ports do :wink:
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

I've actually had the same question myself a few times..... is some of the slowdown intentional?

USUALLY I just immediately blame everything on the PS2 and it's cruddy processor and whatnot.

BUT, then I get stuff like Original mode.....

Was messing with that mode a couple days ago, cause I hadnt really done all that much with it yet. And I notice, despite a very distinct lack of bullets covering the screen, there's STILL moments of slowdown.

Like in stage 3, there's those large bugs that come out from the side of the screen, sit there for a moment, and then fire a big spray at you. In Original mode, the spray is faster of course, and still annoying, but there are WAY less bullets comprising it.... but the game still slows down right there!

Why the heck does it do that?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

-Bridget- wrote:
Like in stage 3, there's those large bugs that come out from the side of the screen, sit there for a moment, and then fire a big spray at you. In Original mode, the spray is faster of course, and still annoying, but there are WAY less bullets comprising it.... but the game still slows down right there!

Why the heck does it do that?
Likely due to the large sprites on the screen during those moments. Bullets aren't the only things that can cause slowdown, you know.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

almost every slowdowns in mushi are intentional, it looks different when the game causes a non-intentional slowdown, like at the very end of stage 2.
The frames are just jumping then and you can see single frames for a part of a second.
Though actually noone really gets bothered by THAT, but far more by transitions and useless slowdowns itself :wink: