Hill project movie!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SPACE HARRIER

Hill project movie!

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

View this great 2d/3d shooter for your PSP>>>http://www.gaming-side.com/video.php?p= ... totype.mov
Wat do you all think of it?
Image = = = = = = =
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

I like the music.

I'm not so sure about sudden shifts from vert to side-scrolling. It seems like it would be jarring.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Ugh! When its vertical it isn't 2D at all but more over-the-shoulder 3D. I hate the idea that revolutioninzing a genre involves destroying the gameplay. To be honest, this looks nearly unplayable with the switches between horizontal and 'rainbow cotton' perspective.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

CMoon wrote:Ugh! When its vertical it isn't 2D at all but more over-the-shoulder 3D. I hate the idea that revolutioninzing a genre involves destroying the gameplay. To be honest, this looks nearly unplayable with the switches between horizontal and 'rainbow cotton' perspective.
It doesn't look like a rail shooter in vert to me. (Rainbow Cotton is the same kind of game as Panorama Cotton, right?) The vert sections just look like they're at an extreme angle, like Iridion II or the later Ray games. Still not the best perspective, but it looks like it's still a shmup to me.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

That video is apparently from an early PC/PS2 version, before development was moved to the PSP platform.

Not sure if this game even has a publisher yet. If not, we may never actually see it released - unless they release the PC port as an indie release.

Gameplay details from IGN...
IGN wrote:Built fully in 3D but played with respect to traditional scrolling shooters such as Gradius and Axelay, Gaming Side's HILL Project offers gamers the ability to switch between two views at any time in the game: side-scrolling and 3/4 overhead like Silpheed. The viewpoint switch not only shifts your plane of sight, it slightly shifts your track through the stage -- swap to blast certain enemies on a different line, or flip back to be able to move into areas of the stage not available in the opposite viewpoint. Each stage is slightly different, depending on how you use your viewpoints. The possibilities are obviously intriguing -- we can see instances where players could swoop up to the capital ship above you by switching to the side-scrolling mode, then use the behind-the-ship mode to steer towards its aft ducts, then switch back for a side view as you duck and weave through to your target...

In addition to the viewpoint tracks, HILL Project features a leveling system for its weaponry (currently planned for about 30 instruments of death) as well as other ship upgrades, plus an experience point system for more detail on your progress. Gaming Side even plans for your upgrades and development to have combined effects. Multiplayer is also part of the plan, allowing for Co-Op and Competitive WiFi play.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Thunder Force wrote:That video is apparently from an early PC/PS2 version, before development was moved to the PSP platform.

Not sure if this game even has a publisher yet. If not, we may never actually see it released - unless they release the PC port as an indie release.

Gameplay details from IGN...
IGN wrote:Built fully in 3D but played with respect to traditional scrolling shooters such as Gradius and Axelay, ...
Hmm, I wouldn't think Axelay was well known enough to be a good example. I'm especially surprised, as it's actually a decent analogy, since the game switches perspectives. With some people, everything's an R-Type clone.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Looked cool but dumb.
The 3d parts reminded me of silpheed #1