Style

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MovingTarget

Style

Post by MovingTarget »

This is what really matters, fuck photorealism, fuck traditional even. Style is what makes a game special. In art style is everything imo, most people who disagree with that are wrong in my opinion, although there is still room for variation from style... Style is what will grab your attention

Discuss.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

Yeah I totally agree.

That's why I don't like most modern 3D shooters. Lots of cool flashy transparent explosions and photorealistic backgrounds != style.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Well said.

Bill
Andi

Post by Andi »

Photorealism is also a style. It's like cel-shading, it's just an aesthetic choice. There is room for realistic and non-realistic styles.

For instance, if a game is focusing on immersion (FPS or driving games for example), shouldn't it look as realistic as possible?
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

There is 'styles', and there is 'style'...

Anime is a particular style of film you might say. In anime however... Akira has style, Appleseed does not. IMO :)

Even in the most photorealistic of games, there can be a complete abundance of style or none at all, it has nothing to do with realism. Same with normal films, they all look like they have been shot at a real location, but some will be more stylish than others. My mentality about everything for the last 3 years has been style above all else.
Last edited by MovingTarget on Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
llabnip

Re: Style

Post by llabnip »

MovingTarget wrote:Style is what makes a game special.
Gameplay is what makes a game special. There are many ultra-simple Atari 2600 games that are better than anything put out today - gameplay is all that counts for me. Then again, I don't think of games as art... I think of them as games.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
MovingTarget

Re: Style

Post by MovingTarget »

llabnip wrote:
MovingTarget wrote:Style is what makes a game special.
Gameplay is what makes a game special. There are many ultra-simple Atari 2600 games that are better than anything put out today - gameplay is all that counts for me. Then again, I don't think of games as art... I think of them as games.
Yes, but I'm talking about graphics here. Gameplay is infinetly more complicated :P
it290

Post by it290 »

Akira has style, Appleseed does not. IMO Smile
You talkin' about the old Appleseed or the new Appleseed here?
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

new obviously... :P
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I thought the old Appleseed was badass.
Awesome designs expected of ass-man himself.. or maybe it was breast-man... Well, one name for Masamune Shirow, and the other for Urushihara Satoshi... one draws nice asses, the other draws nice breasts :p
Or maybe they're both good so I can't remember which is which, aaaahhhhh....!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

iatneH wrote:Awesome designs expected of ass-man himself.. or maybe it was breast-man... Well, one name for Masamune Shirow, and the other for Urushihara Satoshi... one draws nice asses, the other draws nice breasts :p
Or maybe they're both good so I can't remember which is which, aaaahhhhh....!
Great taste. But Urushihara also draws cool males. You might recognize one of his works...
MovingTarget wrote:Anime is a particular style of film you might say. In anime however... Akira has style, Appleseed does not. IMO :)
Well, as long it's towards new Appleseed, I'm perfectly fine (and even agree). :D
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I think all of you are WRONG. How 'bout that for an opinion.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:I think all of you are WRONG. How 'bout that for an opinion.

WARNING!

A HUGE BATTLE SHIP

"MY OPINION"

IS APPROACHING FAST.

:wink: