Truxton

yojo!

Truxton

Post by yojo! »

One of Toaplan finest IMO. All options are default. Please indiquate the support (Genny, PCE, PCB)

format: name/area/score/support

Code: Select all

1 ARM                 - 9 loops+ - 14,900,000+ - [PCB] 
2 DEL                 - 7 loops+ - 10,000,000+ - [PCB]
3 gamingjustin        - area 219 - 1,691,770   - [PCB]
4 AVE                 - area 221 - 1,641,040   - [PCB] (autofire)
5 Yojo!               - area 221 - 1,555,830   - [PCB] 
6 Ruldra              - area 222 - 1,540,420   - [MAME]
7 Battletoad          - 1-5      - 1,426,960   - [Genesis]
8 MJR                 - area 179 - 1,313,960   - [PCB]
9 RGC                 - 1-5      - 1,310,270   - [Genesis]
10 gamingjustin       - area 172 - 1,079,990   - [PCB]
11 Despatche          - area 112 - 622,740     - [MAME]
12 ChainsawGuitar     - 1-3      - 497,600     - [Genesis] 
13 Halloween jack     - area 95  - 418,050     - [PCB] 
14 drboom             - area 94  - 414,180     - [PCB] 
15 Andi               - area ??? - 393,850     - [Genesis] 
16 SFKhoa             - area 87  - 300,060     - 
17 Ed Oscuro          - area ??? - 269,890     - [Genesis] 
18 SAM                - area 50  - 195,130     - [PCB] 
19 Tomtom             - area 50  - 168,050     - [MAME] 
20 maxi               - area ??? - 163.930     - [MAME]
21 roadrunner         - area 28  - 99,320      - [MAME]
Last edited by yojo! on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Christ, it's games like this that show you how easy games like DoDonPachi are...anyway, my first shot at this in a while:

Tomtom - Area 23 - 61,680 - MAME
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Tomtom wrote:Christ, it's games like this that show you how easy games like DoDonPachi are...anyway, my first shot at this in a while:

Tomtom - Area 23 - 61,680 - MAME
Believe it or not I find the PCE harder than it arcade counterpart... :)
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Yeah, I played that one on HU6280 before I got it in MAME. It's really all a matter of falling into the rhythm of the game, it's not something you can just pick up and immediately be good at. I remember I got up to the big walker thing one time in the PCE version.
DEL

Truxton

Post by DEL »

Arcade Ver

DEL - 10,000,000+ COUNTER STOP 7Loops+

I got to the point where I could go round it all day. Rank maxes out at the 3rd Loop.

Regs, DEL
yojo!

Re: Truxton

Post by yojo! »

DEL wrote:Arcade Ver

I got to the point where I could go round it all day. Rank maxes out at the 3rd Loop.

Regs, DEL
You make me feel so useless and unworthy...
DEL

Truxton

Post by DEL »

yojo! - Its a learning game like most others. You've gotta learn when to switch firepowers to gain the 1ups and 2up on the 1st loop + the basic strategies for all the many minibosses. Once you've got it all 'mind-mapped' its not so hard.

Pls feel free to ask if you need any advice on this game. It happens to be my favourite of all time!
landshark

Post by landshark »

DEL wrote:Arcade Ver

Regs, DEL
That ... that, that is just disgusting. :shock:
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

I just have one question. Is the game just one long level, or are there multiple stages? Also, is there a way to turn on autofire? I'm afraid I'm gonna get CTS again or something.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

DEL wrote:yojo! - Its a learning game like most others. You've gotta learn when to switch firepowers to gain the 1ups and 2up on the 1st loop + the basic strategies for all the many minibosses. Once you've got it all 'mind-mapped' its not so hard.

Pls feel free to ask if you need any advice on this game. It happens to be my favourite of all time!
Thanks for offering your help. I already know about the firepowers switch to gain the one 1up things. I really love that game (all toaplan games actually). I already 1cced on 'hard' on the genny but still want to do the same on the arcade rev.

I do have the following question :

How many speed upgrade to you pick up ?. I usually stick to 1 only. 2 is still manageable during regular gameplay (i.e. not boss encounter) but during boss battle , the estate gets so small that I end up bumping into bullet because Im too fast.

I already found some blind spot for some minibosses (like right after stage 1 where these 5 round shaped enemies enemy come down) I usually stick to the red weapons and kill them all w/o moving. If I were to use the blue weapon then they all come down to you like magnets and it gets really difficult.

I'm having a hard time with the miniboss encounter just before the 2nd level end boss area (2 flying saucers in space just before hitting main land, one come from the top, the other from the bottom). they fire all over the place and I just can't just any blind spot.

The third level mini boss (3 flying saucers) right after the area where you get all the "free" bombs and upgrades is also killing me. I just can't find the blind spot either.

and for tomtom, no there are no autofire option :).
DEL

Truxton

Post by DEL »

yojo! - Ok, you've gotta take all the speeds, the game is designed that way. ie. You're supposed to max out your speeds in order to pick up the many 5,000 bonuses thereafter. If you have problems with max speed, then you'll have to learn to tap the joystick for small movements.

The 2 flying saucers before the 2nd end boss area (the tracks) - Go up to the top half of the screen and drill the 1st saucer, when the 2nd saucer appears from below - position yourself underneath it. It requires simple left & right movements in a steady rhythm.

The 3rd level miniboss after the speed section - Go up to the middle of the screen and dump 2 bombs - all 3 enemies should die. Don't try to dodge their bullets without bombing - you're supposed to bomb here. You should have come through the speed section with max bombs.

Tomtom - Truxton is nonstop, seemless. The stages merge into one another. Its about 45mins per loop.

Regs, DEL
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

New score...

Tomtom - Area 50 - 168,050

What a rush! This game gets better every time I play it. I finally got to the second stage :)
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

DEL wrote:yojo! - Ok, you've gotta take all the speeds, the game is designed that way. ie. You're supposed to max out your speeds in order to pick up the many 5,000 bonuses thereafter. If you have problems with max speed, then you'll have to learn to tap the joystick for small movements.

The 2 flying saucers before the 2nd end boss area (the tracks) - Go up to the top half of the screen and drill the 1st saucer, when the 2nd saucer appears from below - position yourself underneath it. It requires simple left & right movements in a steady rhythm.

The 3rd level miniboss after the speed section - Go up to the middle of the screen and dump 2 bombs - all 3 enemies should die. Don't try to dodge their bullets without bombing - you're supposed to bomb here. You should have come through the speed section with max bombs.

Tomtom - Truxton is nonstop, seemless. The stages merge into one another. Its about 45mins per loop.

Regs, DEL
thanks for the advices, I'll try it out. Sounds kind of scary to max the speed out , but you must be right since you are the truxton god. :)
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Tomtom wrote:New score...

Tomtom - Area 50 - 168,050

What a rush! This game gets better every time I play it. I finally got to the second stage :)
good job, tomtom !. did you try to max out your speed like DEL suggested ?
ARM

Post by ARM »

Truxton, ah sweet Truxton.

My favourite game of all time.

Was talking to DEL about it today..he told me of this forum. I thought I would login and share my Hi-score...

14,900,000 pts + (just short of 15mn pts - Arcade owner was mad at me !)
9+ loops/clocks
AREA 999 (200/clock, after 5 clocks atays at 999).
ARCADE version.

I remember the VERY first time I saw this game clocked - everybody in the Arcade knew this as 'an impossible game'.

One day DEL walked in and clocked it effortlessly - and the ENTIRE arcade just stopped and watched awestruck (except the owner of course !).

There must have been about 40-people in a semi-circle around DEL.
People were craning their necks' this way and that so see him - nobody in that arcade had seen the game past the blue 'hydrofoil-type' boss around area 115.

Sweet memories.
DEL

The Good Old Days

Post by DEL »

ARM - Yes I remember that day well - it was 15 years ago, SHEESH!!

You and your brother ARC also have some heavy ALLs under your belts, in fact - many. ARC has both loops of R-Type II, you have R-Type Leo and the dreaded Saint Dragon, amongst others.

btw - I can confirm that ARM's 14.9mil+ Truxton score is correct. My 10mil+ was switched off by the arcade manager during the 5th hour (as previously mentioned on the old Forum).

Regs, DEL

Ps. ARM - I got my Maniac ALL yesterday :wink:
ARM

Post by ARM »

Yoho, thanks for updating the score ran-kings !
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

small improvement

704100 level 145
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

finally reached level 5 !

915400 level 163

DEL: I'm starting to do pretty good with only 2 speed items. I don't know how you can even manage to survive more than 5ms with your speed maxed out. You must be god or an alien ;).
DEL

Of Gods and Aliens...

Post by DEL »

yojo! - You're getting there. I'm glad you're perservering with it, but you really must take all the speeds. The game is designed for you to do so. Like I said earlier, if you're having problems with a high speed craft, learn to move in 'taps' not bold sweeps. (For some reason, games in which your ship moves fast are my favourites).

If you're at a sticking point, just ask.
sven666

Re: Of Gods and Aliens...

Post by sven666 »

DEL wrote:yojo! - (For some reason, games in which your ship moves fast are my favourites).

mine too.. aah sweet batrider 8)

maybe i should pick this up then, i was actually leaning more towards the sequel (for obvious reasons, eyecandy) but maybe thisones better???
whats the usual going rate for a PCB?
yojo!

Re: Of Gods and Aliens...

Post by yojo! »

DEL wrote:yojo! Like I said earlier, if you're having problems with a high speed craft, learn to move in 'taps' not bold sweeps.
Which stick brand did they use in the arcade over there when you guys broke the record ?. I tried to do as you said (i.e. max speed and 'taps' movement) but my Happ control arcade stick in my cab "bounces" when I tried to do so. So my ship does not stop right away and kind of oscillate quite often.
DEL

Truxton

Post by DEL »

yojo! - I don't know the name of the joystick, but it was the short red bauble one that was most common in upright cabs during those days.

sven666 - Its always a good idea to buy a Toaplan Board. Toaplan games generally don't emulate well ie. Jerky scrolling or no sound.
I'm not quite sure as to the current price of a Truxton board. Last time I checked, it was around 140Euros. Of course, if you're lucky and the seller doesn't appreciate what he's got, you may well get it for less.
VV is another 'must buy' Toaplan board.
Personally, I wasn't keen on Tatsujin Oh - the Euro PCB was too empty (of enemies) and the Jap PCB was too full. Sequels aren't always better! Just look at Twin Cobra and KK II.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

DEL wrote:VV is another 'must buy' Toaplan board.
Yep, I have the PCB and I love it too. I am also amazed how pretty good the Genny port is. Less fancy graphics but the gameplay is still there.

DEL: did you ever play Vimana ?. It's an other keeper IMO. The graphics are very stylish; similar to truxtion.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

yojo! wrote:
DEL wrote:VV is another 'must buy' Toaplan board.
Yep, I have the PCB and I love it too. I am also amazed how pretty good the Genny port is. Less fancy graphics but the gameplay is still there.

DEL: did you ever play Vimana ?. It's an other keeper IMO. The graphics are very stylish; similar to truxtion.
vimana is excelent! seems to be quite rare tho?

i think id put vimana on second after outzone as my fave toaplan board.. havent tried truxton tho ;)
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Wow, those are some great stories!
I just bought this game for the Genesis today, I get my ass handed to me, but I like this game a lot, I can easily see myself still playing this game 15 years down the road!
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

iatneH wrote:Wow, those are some great stories!
I just bought this game for the Genesis today, I get my ass handed to me, but I like this game a lot, I can easily see myself still playing this game 15 years down the road!

that's what I told myself 15 years ago too :)
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Wow, can't believed I missed out on this amazing old-timer of a shmup. I just played it recently and it's really good IMO.

SFKhoa - 300,060 - Area 87
DEL

Vimana

Post by DEL »

yojo! - With regards to Vimana, yes its another one I could go round and round all day, but only on a 2 Player game. You need a friend with fast fingers or an autofire hack & you can both obliterate the enemies in Vimana, thus making the game easy.

I expect that Vimana is a rare PCB and worth picking up, if only for rarity/resale value. Its a long while ago and my memory of if is dim, but I remember it being a bit dull.

Truxton is the game; I remember a board seller in the UK describing it as;

"The Daddy of all Shoot'em ups"
I Agree
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

after giving the genny version another go and coming to the realization that i just sold the thing (congrats Dylan1CC), it seems that i may be emulating after all, cause i have to try the arcade version. seriously fun, and seriously hard. there was a revelation for me, when i found out that the game was designed to be played while at max speed. love it.
I have no sig whatsoever.