RQ: Simple Mushihime-sama question

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Shion

RQ: Simple Mushihime-sama question

Post by Shion »

Being fairly new to the game, there's still a couple of things I don't fully understand. The biggest question is, how much more damage do you do up close to bosses/enemies than at range?

I know you get more points to the counter if you get really close to your target, and I also know you do more damage. But is there a difference if you're, say, half the screen away from the boss or at the bottom most part of the screen? I often hang in the middle of the screen trying to get close enough to the boss to do more damage, but I end up either dieing or backing off to the bottom/corner of the screen. It would be good to know how much damage I'd do staying in the mid.

I've tried finding the answer with search, but I couldn't get any solid numbers. Anyone can clear me up?
RGC

Post by RGC »

Last edited by RGC on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

I think it depends on your weapon type as to how much more damage you deal over distance. I wasn't aware there was much if any difference in S-Power, but W-Power has a very big increase the closer you get.

If you don't know about 'Hold-C Mash-A' tapping yet, that's another way to increase your damage output.
Shion

Post by Shion »

I mostly play Arrange and Maniac. My weapon of choice is M during Maniac, and whichever is best for the situation in Arrange.

And please explain how the hold C mash A thing would increase my damage? I mean, C is just a different way of shooting, so how would combining it with A increase damage? I know about banking the small numbers by tapping C thing, but I didn't know there was a trick increasing damage using both fire types.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

I'm not entirely sure why it works. My guess is that because C counts as 'unfocused' but still has your lasers active, tapping A causes your lasers to 'shift' into focused state, and for whatever reason that transition period does slightly extra damage than normal. So the faster you mash A, the more frequently your lasers are transitioning, and the more damage you do.

Anyway, all you do to do it is just hold C and tap A as fast as you can. The difference in damage is pretty noticeable over a period of time if you are mashing fast enough.
RGC

Post by RGC »