Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Ayanami wrote:Just got back from London, will definitely be there tomorrow.

Probably going to bring my PC over for MAME runs. :D
Cool!

I have created a spot in the corner (where the freezer used to be) that should be adaquate for the PC.

See everyone tonight!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Hey Sonic R pm me directions to your house, me and Andy might be able to come tonight. I'll call you if I'm having trouble with the directions.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Sorry I missed it -_-;;

Your team secrets are safe now.

Was with the girl at Heritage Fest. I got back kinda late. I figured I should probably put up the vote thread...
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Sorry I missed it -_-;;

Your team secrets are safe now.

Was with the girl at Heritage Fest. I got back kinda late. I figured I should probably put up the vote thread...
Alas we figured as such :wink:

GLA did some prcatice and test runs with some of the games for Konami Week, as well as some play testing of possible games fore Seibu week and Hidden gem week.
themisterfalcon

Post by themisterfalcon »

Oh, hey Michigan. Just moved to Royal Oak last week (from Swartz Creek area). I'm pretty much just a lurker around these forums....so I guess this is an official hello.

I see Robotron around here. Meant to meet up with him a couple times on MG but distance/work/life wasn't having it.

I have some cabs, shmups and new found freedome down here. Would love to meet up with some of you for some bullet hell :D
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

dubdubdub wrote:Oh, hey Michigan. Just moved to Royal Oak last week (from Swartz Creek area). I'm pretty much just a lurker around these forums....so I guess this is an official hello.

I see Robotron around here. Meant to meet up with him a couple times on MG but distance/work/life wasn't having it.

I have some cabs, shmups and new found freedome down here. Would love to meet up with some of you for some bullet hell :D
Good to have you join us :D

We are hoping to get a big gathering going on some time with in the next month or so.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I got some good shit to bring this time.

Can anyone say "Vectrex?" :shock:
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

ubersaurus wrote:I got some good shit to bring this time.

Can anyone say "Vectrex?" :shock:
I pronounce Vectrex as "Holy shit!" :shock:
SWY: Games are just for fun
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Now is a good time to consider some dates/location/time/etc… for the Fall Brawl Shoot them up gathering.

September starts this Saturday.

Open to ideas - as always, lets aim for maximum participation!

Post ideas or feel free to Private Message me :D
boagman

Post by boagman »

Sonic R wrote:Now is a good time to consider some dates/location/time/etc… for the Fall Brawl Shoot them up gathering.

Well, for one, just for rhyme and rhythm's sake, instead of calling it the Fall Brawl Shoot them up gathering," can it *please* be called the "Fall Brawl Shoot'em All"? Come on, now...isn't that a *lot* better? ;)

I mean, that's *got* to be the moniker...this is stinking *Detroit*, after all. Read Robotron's profile about Detroit. That is all. ;)
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

boagman wrote:
Sonic R wrote:Now is a good time to consider some dates/location/time/etc… for the Fall Brawl Shoot them up gathering.

Well, for one, just for rhyme and rhythm's sake, instead of calling it the Fall Brawl Shoot them up gathering," can it *please* be called the "Fall Brawl Shoot'em All"? Come on, now...isn't that a *lot* better? ;)

I mean, that's *got* to be the moniker...this is stinking *Detroit*, after all. Read Robotron's profile about Detroit. That is all. ;)
Let's see, this month...the Browncoat Ball is September 29th, and I'm thinking of hitting that up. Beyond that I can't think of any major events on Saturdays.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

boagman wrote:

I like the "Quitcher Bitchin' Fall Brawl". Signature Harley-Davidson does the "Quitcher Bitchin' Biker Bash" every year. I just love that name. When the "old-style" Star Wars DVD box came out I called it the "Quitcher Bitchin' Star Wars Box Set" because I was so sick of the bitchin'. Yeah, no Gungans, whatever.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

ubersaurus wrote: Can anyone say "Vectrex?" :shock:
I am curious to play some Vectrex.
I had considered getting one a couple years ago when I was at the Midwest Gaming Classic.
stanski

Post by stanski »

I'll be up for meeting to play some shmups, only problem is I play most shmups on PC (PC designed shmups) or MAME so I don't have any real games. I don't have my DC with me either to bring. All I have at school is games for speedrunning and a PC pad, so yea I'd have to freeload off the rest of your shmup collections.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Don't worry, you're not alone. All I've brought the last couple times were my joystick and a six pack of beer.

I don't think I have much going on any upcoming weekends. October 20 is a question mark, since I'll be in Ann Arbor during the day and I'm not sure if I'll be there at night (probably, though). And I think I'm supposed to go to Cedar Point for Halloweekends, but I'm not sure which day.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

stanski wrote:I'll be up for meeting to play some shmups, only problem is I play most shmups on PC (PC designed shmups) or MAME so I don't have any real games. I don't have my DC with me either to bring. All I have at school is games for speedrunning and a PC pad, so yea I'd have to freeload off the rest of your shmup collections.
You will be most welcome to join us and play our games. We are offer a wide range of games playing console and Ayanami has a nice PC which can offer a spectacular MAME experience with both a TV out and an LCD monitor which can be rotated 90 degrees for play shooties.

As it stands now, I am open pretty much every weekend through Thanksgiving.

For Davey, we can X out October 20.

Lets see what these days sound like:

September 29 (kind of soon--2 weeks)

or

October 13

If I am not mistaken, these days can work with Ayanami, but correct me if I am incorrect.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Sonic R wrote:For Davey, we can X out October 20.
Don't I feel special. ;) I figured that day was out anyway, since I thought you guys were on an every other week schedule, and that fell between weeks.

Those other weekends happen to be STGT voting weekends. I'll probably be pickier about what we vote for during those weeks, being that I'll actually be playing and all.

Also, long story short: 9/29 was my date for Cedar Point, but it turns out I'm probably not going (regardless of shmuppery). So 9/29 and 10/13 are both fine by me.
stanski

Post by stanski »

I can bring my laptop also for MAME (I've got a full set) and other emulators (full set of NES, SNES, Genesis, master system/game gear, MSX, atari 2600, 7200, tg-16, gameboy roms). Also I've got every Touhou game and a bunch of random other freeware/non-freeware PC shmups (shikigami 3, raiden 3).
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Sonic R wrote:
stanski wrote:I'll be up for meeting to play some shmups, only problem is I play most shmups on PC (PC designed shmups) or MAME so I don't have any real games. I don't have my DC with me either to bring. All I have at school is games for speedrunning and a PC pad, so yea I'd have to freeload off the rest of your shmup collections.
You will be most welcome to join us and play our games. We are offer a wide range of games playing console and Ayanami has a nice PC which can offer a spectacular MAME experience with both a TV out and an LCD monitor which can be rotated 90 degrees for play shooties.

As it stands now, I am open pretty much every weekend through Thanksgiving.

For Davey, we can X out October 20.

Lets see what these days sound like:

September 29 (kind of soon--2 weeks)

or

October 13

If I am not mistaken, these days can work with Ayanami, but correct me if I am incorrect.
I will be in Florida on the 29th but October 13th is okay.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

doctorx0079 wrote: I will be in Florida on the 29th but October 13th is okay.
For DRX we can X out the 29th

Lets work with October 13 right now :D
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Slight "update"?

It is with deep regret that we may have to hold off for the next gathering.

We have lost our venue for the time being -- Ayanami has been gracious everytime in offering his residence for our games playing, but we will be with out his basement for the time being :cry:

HOWEVER,
I am always able to slap together a small venue if the interest is still there. I'll have to work on some logistics and can offer a fair experience.

Most folks here have already been to my humble abode and as I am say, if there is still interest to continue with a smaller scale meetup I will be glad to offer my dungeon.

ALSO,
I am always open to suggestions on another venue for holding a Great Lakes shoot them up gathering, I don't mind travel and am able to transport consoles and games :wink:
Davey

Post by Davey »

My place has no pros and a few cons when compared to either Ayanami's or Sonic R's (the 70 mile distance being the most obvious issue). Otherwise I'd offer.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I am going to try and figure out when exactly the basement will be KOed, and try and squeeze something in. Can't make any promises though.

I will try to have some more info by the next little gathering coming up, but I have been dealing with a lot of crap about school, work and what not. Plus I am trying to get my game sale list thingy priced out. Lots of stress let alone time to play these damn shooters for the tourney.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

yeah I owe you guys one. After the girlfriend relocates from here, ask me about my pad's availability. Novermber 'n onward
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

DJ Incompetent wrote:yeah I owe you guys one. After the girlfriend relocates from here, ask me about my pad's availability. Novermber 'n onward
Sonic R in opening post wrote:…We can even move it around from other peoples homes as well.…
I think it will be cool to hang at your pad! I am all for going to other folks places from time to time. Sometimes I feel bad for making everyone come to my place. Just doesn't feel fair and I feel I am bogart the gatherings :oops:
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

DJ Incompetent wrote:@Ayanami
Recording Gekirindan.

Should I bring my tower w/recording equipment or do you have a better method for doing this? I'd rather use the best A/V stuff we have available. But I dunno how you feel about changing to PS2 controller and running in yoko.
So did you ever end up watching what could have been?
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I am greatful you did not beat my score in that game, I don't want to play that game again but will if I get knocked off my one and only shmups forum high horse.

That and like I was telling every body last meet, I have no consistency. Chances of me getting over 1.4 million in that game again are highly unlikely.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

I figure I should justifiably attack you in Batrider before...-just being a dick...

have fun with that-thar horse...
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

The next gathering is currently ON HOLD.

Any ideas feel free to bring them forth.

Thank You!
danox574

Post by danox574 »

Hey guys,

Rarely have time to post here, unfortunately...

I have 4 cabs here and we do a lot of gaming in Sterling Heights at my place, and dub above is in Royal Oak. This location and his, the MAME gaming is a bit weak, but the board collection is reasonably sized.

I'd like to get out to meet you guys at the next get together and if everything looks good I'm sure I could host a night or two in the future.

-Dan