New (awesome) shmup in development, looking for assistance

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
segasonicfan

New (awesome) shmup in development, looking for assistance

Post by segasonicfan »

Hey folks,
Myself and another shmup enthusiast have been working on an incredible new shmup and would like to find more people to help with the project. So far I have been doing all the visuals and he has been doing all the coding. We already have a running game with a solid scoring system, a weapon changing/power up system, and enemies with paths and different shot types.

We are looking for some other talented folks that would like to help out in developing this game. I have fallen in love with the project myself and have been very pleased with the results. We are both extremely motivated and have been making the game in a very Cave-esque style (but drawing other influences of course).

-It's a vertical shooter for PC, entirely hand-drawn 2D sprite-based work and written in DirectX
-Looking for sound people, artists, coders, and possibly web-page designer
-No pay involved yet (we're not planning to make money off this but it is definitely a possibility). Mainly being developed for the love of shmups ;)

Right now we really need someone who can write or code music. Neither of us have experience in this field. I could really use another animator to help out (preferably someone who has their own drawing tablet for PC or some other equipment to ease the workload involved).

We are being careful to keep this game from being stolen (I am working with a lawyer who is helping with the legalities of protecting original works) so I cannot post the current game build yet. However, here is some of the original concept art I have made:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... nchar1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... s/ratt.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/ ... ntist2.jpg

Please post here or email me at segasonicfan@gmail.com if you are interested in helping out!

-Segasonicfan
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Not to take anything away from your game, but do you really feel the need for being so protective and secretive? Any copyrights are yours by default, eventually the game has to be "out there". There's not a lot of other protections available, besides perhaps trademarks if you want to protect the imagery involved.

I'm just saying this because it'll be hard to get help without showing more than a few concept drawings. I do wish you all the best, though. We can always use new shooters :)

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

Yeah, I understand all that and I will show more of the game to someone that's interested. I'm just showing concept art for now since I don't think I'm going to get a slew of prospective helpers. That's just what I'm showing in a public forum for those that are interested.

As for the game being "out there" I have no interest in making the title public domain at the moment. I have friends in the industry that are willing to help me publish the title in the future.

-Segasonicfan

P.S. you're in San Carlos huh? I'm over in San Mateo ;) You should come by and play some shmups with me and the locals sometime ;)
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

segasonicfan wrote:As for the game being "out there" I have no interest in making the title public domain at the moment. I have friends in the industry that are willing to help me publish the title in the future.

-Segasonicfan

P.S. you're in San Carlos huh? I'm over in San Mateo ;) You should come by and play some shmups with me and the locals sometime ;)
Hmmm... I did not say public domain. What I meant was available for people to see, available for download, or whatever.

We (the family and I) used to be at Bay Meadows (by the Whole Foods) until last year, then we moved to San Carlos. A shmup get together would be fun, but I warn you while I love the genre I'm not that good a player ;)

I'd also like to see what you guys have so far for the game, even if you only feel comfortable showing a demonstration rather than giving out an executable. In between waiting for Japanese releases of commercial shmups I'm a big fan of the indie scene.

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

Yeah, I know you didn't say public domain, just being cautious that's all.

I was just at Bay Meadows actually...stupid Quiznos closed early :/ I don't mind showing u the game at all, sorry I'm just very protective of it since I have put such a massive amount of work into it.

There are some local shmup lovers in San Mateo that I hang out with a lot. I am actually storing my cabs at one of their places so we were thinking of having a shmup meet in the near future :) We could just chill anytime though since you are so close. and no worries, they are not very good at shmups either. I am no superplay shmupper but I do get pretty competitive with the scoring :)

-Segasonicfan
MX7

Post by MX7 »

What format are you planning to encode the music in? Like WAV and MP3 files sitting in a seperate folder like X.X's games?

It's hard to envisage what the game should sound like having only seen a few bits of concept art. You should post some screengrabs, I might be able to help :)
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

DJ- It would be great if you could help but I would rather not post screen grabs up here yet...if you IM me I can show you stuff no problem :) My AIM is Tuneviperz14 or Tuneviperz14@hotmail.com for MSN.

We're going to be doing WAV readable from a folder. You can make the audio in whatever format you want though (like MP3) cause it can all be converted easily :)

-Segasonicfan
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

the2bears wrote:Not to take anything away from your game, but do you really feel the need for being so protective and secretive? Any copyrights are yours by default, eventually the game has to be "out there". There's not a lot of other protections available, besides perhaps trademarks if you want to protect the imagery involved.

I'm just saying this because it'll be hard to get help without showing more than a few concept drawings. I do wish you all the best, though. We can always use new shooters :)

Bill
I gotta agree with Segasonicfan. Even though alot of this stuff is community based, he is just protecting himself and his intellectual property. I'd also recommend he have people sign NDAs and such. The project is looking great so far!
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

so looks like skink has been MIA for a while. Im trying to get the source code from him but in the meantime I need a new programmer. Anyone interested? I can send the new build to peeps that are interested.

-Segasonicfan