ST - TWilight INSanity

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Goshi

ST - TWilight INSanity

Post by Goshi »

Yeah here's another ST since I don't have anything else to do.

This is of TWilight INSanity (Called TWINS from now on) which is a shmup which actually has a somewhat deep storyline and takes place in a cyber world of a sorts. Its pretty good and matches up to the other big name doujin shmups like Suguri and Touhou.

---

TWilight INSanity

Characters

Haneita Team
Pretty average as far as characters go. One moves fast, the other moves slow. They have no disadvantage but no advantage either. Though this is one of those rare occasions where a male character is playable in a doujin shmup.

Shinya's shot is is a green wave that flies forward. Pretty boring but its firepower is pretty good. When Shinya is in reserve and Sakua activates tension Shinya will make a even wider slash fly forward.

Sakura's shot is a wide 7-way shot. Firepower is the lowest in the game however but its range makes up for it. When Sakura is in reserve and Sinya activates tension Sakura will make stars circle around the character.

Saijou Team
They have the best basic shots and their speed is very high too. They seem to have the most trouble lowering P-Rate though.

Yuuri's shot is a piercing laser which has very high firepower. The highest in the game. When Yuuri is in reserve and Mayuu uses a tension Yuuri will make lasers fire from behind. Covering the whole screen.

Mayuu's shot is a wide 5-way shot. Whilst its range isn't as great as Sakura's or Tsubasa's she creates homing orbs along with them. Her firepower is pretty average though. When Mayuu is in reserve and Yuuri's uses a tension Mayuu will create a lot of large homing orbs. Easily the worst tension in the game. Since you really shouldn't be using them in boss fights.

Hoshimi Team
They're quite popular. Their movement speed is pretty bad and their firepower is pretty average however their tension is fantastic. Both characters make feathers scatter around. Simplistic but lowers your P-Rate quickly.

Maiha's shot is two bullets fly forward and change angles depending on movement. Very useful however her firepower is not as high as Yuuri's or Shinya's.

Tsubasa has a wide 5-way shot. Firepower is pretty low but I'm pretty sure the center shot has higher firepower.

Gameplay Basics

Controls (Default)
Z - Tension/Cancel
X - Switch characters
C - Shoot
Enter - Pause/Confirm
Esc - Exit

Basic Movement
Think Imperishable Night. Standard vertical shmup with character switching. One character has a straight shot, the other has a wide shot. At each level there's dialog and you have to select between several choices. Depending on choices made depends on which level you go to. C type levels are much harder than be B or A and are needed to reach the best ending.

Replay
(Copy/Paste)When you complete the game or get a game over you'll prompted if you wish to make a replay. Relays do what they say, replay what you've done during that play through.

Tension and Auto-Tension
Tension is the game's method of bombing. Using a tension will have your other character use a special attack and improve the range and firepower of your current one. Its wipes out all bullets on screen as well. Bear in mind that you're only invincible for a half a second so don't think you can run into bullets happily without getting hurt. If you have any tension and get hit you'll activate auto-tension which activates your tension and lets your character still live. As good as it sounds their are several negatives to it. For one, your P-Rate will go up. Secondly, you lose all the tensions you collected and lastly the ugly words Auto Tension will appear, scarring your precious replay.

Crystals
Enemies will drop two type of crystals. Small blue ones which fly toward you and big green ones. The blue ones are used to gain more Tensions for you to use. The faster you kill an enemy the more crystals you get. The large green ones are only used for score.

P-Rate
You'll notice a gauge saying P-Rate to the right of the screen. This is used to determine the routes you can take basically. The lower your P-Rate the better. You can lower it by killing enemies quickly and by through a boss' tension. Your P-Rate will rise when there's enemies on screen, when you get killed, when you use auto-tension, during an enemy's final tension (Aegis' and Sara's. True Night and Twilight Insanity do not raise P-Rate) or when you fly around Sara's green clouds.

Getting 100% P-Rate means Game Over so be careful.

Enemy Tension
These work like spellcards in Touhou games. They're a harder attack that you must avoid. If you clear it without getting hit or using a tension you'll get a Tension Break which will help lower your P-Rate by a significant amount. Final Tensions work the same way however they increase your P-Rate while they're in affect. True Night and Twilight Insanity always give you the bonus regardless of what you do. Also 6-B's Final Tension also always gives you the bonus.

Buzz
Another term for grazing or friction. In other words, getting the hitbox very close to a bullet. Getting high buzz (Heh heh... buzz) helps you gain more tension.

The Ending Factor
To get a Good Ending simply 1CC the game. Thats it. I think your Twin Rate also affects what ending you get as well. You need to 1CC the game to unlock the sequel stage.

The Stage 7 Factor
To reach Stage 7 just clear Stage 6B or 6C. Depending on your Twinrate depends on what character will be used on it. Be careful though as its very easy to get a high P-Rate on this stage.

The Choices Factor
Simply put, which an exception of stage 4C, always select the last choice if you're going for 6C. On stage 4C select the first choice first and then the last choice.

Also if you're playing as the Haneita team select the middle option to access Stage 2B.

The SEQUEL Stage
Like in Touhou games, this game has an extra stage. To unlock you need to 1CC the game. Route does not matter, you can finish 6-A and still get it.

Bear in mind though that you need game version 2.00 in order to play it.

The Maya Overload Factor
On the Sequel stage defeat Maya with a P-Rate of 50% or lower to encounter her ultimate attack, True Night. Be prepared though as defeating her will take quite a long time =/

If you get a P-Rate of 30% or lower you'll also net a better ending.

Related Links
http://www85.sakura.ne.jp/~loop/ - Official website
http://infinite.xrea.jp/wiki/?Twin - Wiki page on TWINS

---

As always, feel free to add any extra info.
Last edited by Goshi on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Goshi, tell me how to get into stage 6-B? I want to discover the stage 7 in more easier way than 6-C.... i don't have much problems with P-rate (even had 2% on end of stage 5-A).... anyway if anyone wants my 6-A 1cc replay.. i'll post it
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

If you hit 5A it is impossible to reach 6B or 6C. To reach 6B go to Stage 4C (4B might work too) and select the top choice and then bottom. Either way you'll head to 5B or 5C. On those stages again choose the bottom choice and you'll taken to 6C if your P-Rate isn't below 30% though you'll head to 6B.

Generally as I said always choose the bottom choice except on 4C where you choose the top choice first.

You're really missing out if you don't want to go to 6C though since its the best stage in the game, IMO.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Thanks..... and how to get into 4-C? I got into 4-B max..... yesterday on 6-A Clear run

EDIT: The golden girl is TLB? If yes then i fought her today and i did access 6-C..... awesome :D though she's extremely hard
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

Kaiser wrote:Thanks..... and how to get into 4-C? I got into 4-B max..... yesterday on 6-A Clear run

EDIT: The golden girl is TLB? If yes then i fought her today and i did access 6-C..... awesome :D though she's extremely hard
Yes, she is the true last boss and is only fought in 6B and 6C though in 6B she's much easier.

To get to 4C select the last option on Stage 3, I think you may need to go to 2B to get there though. The boss in 4C is pretty hard though and is the main reason I cannot get to 6C on higher difficulties >_>
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Goshi wrote:
Kaiser wrote:Thanks..... and how to get into 4-C? I got into 4-B max..... yesterday on 6-A Clear run

Yes, she is the true last boss and is only fought in 6B and 6C though in 6B she's much easier.

To get to 4C select the last option on Stage 3, I think you may need to go to 2B to get there though. The boss in 4C is pretty hard though and is the main reason I cannot get to 6C on higher difficulties >_>
4-C boss? I get past her without dying (50% of chance i do it)... however if i die once on 5-C the p-rate is much higher and lowers the chance to 6-C.... it's so crazy to no-miss until 6-C but i can do it... though school's now i'm going to practice more rarely now
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

One thing, if you have p-rate higher than 60-70% on stage 7, you won't face Maya and you will get ALL without her... i just cleared stage 6C + got into stage 7 so i know
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

Maya is not on Stage 7. The only time you face her again is in the SEQUEL stage.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Goshi wrote:Maya is not on Stage 7. The only time you face her again is in the SEQUEL stage.
Stupidly i did 1cc stage 7 but sequel stage wasn't unlocked... what the hell?
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

You need to have ver2.00 in order to play SEQUEL. Grab all the patches from the official website.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Goshi wrote:You need to have ver2.00 in order to play SEQUEL. Grab all the patches from the official website.
Finished extra stage without continues along with ultimate attack today!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UhB9pGpHhFs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rUHU8TZDJLo