Psykio games - love/hate

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Something I never noticed in Psikyo games were the medals until I went to the sheep's site; apparently, depending on how shiny they are, the points vary :o Genius, I tell you!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

black mariah wrote:Nemo: Explain why I like shmups by Raizing and Seibu. Raiden Fighters and Battle Garegga destroy me faster than anything Psikyo has ever made and I'll play either well before I head for Psikyo's stuff (excluding Zero Gunner, of course).. I bought Gunbird 2 the day I bought my first Dreamcast and had only that to play for a good 4-5 months. I got to where I could clear level 4 easily enough. Maybe you should pull your head out of your Psikyo fanboy ass long enough (OMG!!111 SOMETHING IN A GUY'S ASS! I must be homophobic! :roll: ) to realize that their games just aren't that great. They're not BAD, but... fmeh. BTW, I've been coming here on and off since Shmups Mk2 was still hosted on classicgaming.com. If people don't know me by now they need to pay more attention.
I'm far from a Psikyo fanboy, they're not even top 5 for me, but I'm not ignorant enough to write off all of their games as cloned garbage and I can appreciate them for what they bring. You said their games were "blowful", "unpolished", and trivialized them as dodge and shoot (as if that's a bad thing), those comments are a far cry from what you're saying now with, "They're not BAD". If you don't care for their style and you rather play a different type of shooter, say that, but there's no reason to wage a full-fledged assault against Psikyo's catalog in the process, that's what makes you look like an idiot and brought the backlash.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

black mariah wrote:This is fucking great. I tell someone to lick my balls and all of a sudden I'm making sexual preference jokes. Seriously dudes, LIGHTEN THE FUCK UP. If you know I'm being flippant, what's the problem? I'm a flippant person anywhere and everywhere I go. Trust me, I've told much bigger and scarier people than anyone here to lick my balls and they never had a problem with it. And they're not even twitchdoctor's neighbor or anything. :wink:

Nemo: Explain why I like shmups by Raizing and Seibu. Raiden Fighters and Battle Garegga destroy me faster than anything Psikyo has ever made and I'll play either well before I head for Psikyo's stuff (excluding Zero Gunner, of course).. I bought Gunbird 2 the day I bought my first Dreamcast and had only that to play for a good 4-5 months. I got to where I could clear level 4 easily enough. Maybe you should pull your head out of your Psikyo fanboy ass long enough (OMG!!111 SOMETHING IN A GUY'S ASS! I must be homophobic! :roll: ) to realize that their games just aren't that great. They're not BAD, but... fmeh. BTW, I've been coming here on and off since Shmups Mk2 was still hosted on classicgaming.com. If people don't know me by now they need to pay more attention.

TWITCHDOCTOR: Anything about me thinking you're gay is being read into by you. As CMoon has already pointed out, but somehow failed to understand, I'm an incredibly flippant person. The majority of what I say is total bullshit and can be discarded. The rest probably isn't interesting enough to pay attention to either, but that proof is too big for the margin.

raiden: Fine! Go play Hot Dog Storm! :wink:

dave4shmups: Yes, that's the basics of shmup gameplay. But don't you think after a decade of the basics they could move on to something, you know, NOT basic? I agree that some of this stuff is overbearing (See the juggling of medals, power ups, and rank in Battle Garegga), but mix in SOMETHING ELSE to differentiate yourself from... well... Hot Dog Storm.

I remember you from before, but I don't remember you acting like a jerk and talking "bullshit" (to use your choice of wording)

I'm not "reading into" anything that your saying.(You said I was "pretending"). Its all up there, just scroll upwards if you've forgotten. (Thunderforce even spelled it out for you!) All I said that was those type of jokes are not common around here, and are a great way of getting on someones nerves sooner or later. In this case it was sooner.

I don't intend on arguing with you about this, even if some are a little "up tight" about it. Maybe you're comments were meant "light-heartedly", but the timing was bad.
Plus, "gay-dick" jokes are imature and always will be.
Not everybody here appreciates "Junior High Humor" as I stated before.

Call me an old elitist fart if you want, but this old elitist fart is trying to give you some helpfull advice.

How old are you anyway? If you're still a teen, well then I can at least begin to understand...
I have a sense of humor, and its a pretty good one at that, I just never thought those "Lick my Balls" jokes were very funny. Don't believe me?
Watch the movie "Zoolander". There's a scene when the blond model tells
Ben Stiller to "Dare Licke My Balls".
Well, afterwards when their all apologetic, Ben states to the other model that it really "hurt his feelings". :cry:

My feelings ain't hurt, I really don't give a shit what you think.
Its ok to be "flippent" ( I swear I've never heard that before, sounds kinda gay to me?) just don't be a jerk, ok?

:wink:
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I enjoy Psikyo stuff.

At first I felt cheated playing their games, because of the same engine being used over and over.

But nowadays I don't care too much really.

And what makes Psikyo shmups good for me, is the fact that they are simple (Just pick up and play, no complicated rules), they are FAST AND FURIOUS, they need more REFLEXES than MEMORIZATION...

That's the kind of shmup I like to play. Yes, they are difficult, but none of the ones i've played felt impossible for me.

And today I played 3 games of Strikers 1945 Plus in an arcade. The last game was played in 2 player mode with a guy I watched playing before me (And then he watched me playing after him :D). We both died at 1-6 in our single player runs, but playing in 2 player mode, we got to 1-8 !

Going completely off-topic, is REAL cool to play a shmup like this with another player who is equally good (or equally bad :D) as you. I don't think I ever had this experience before.
jp

Post by jp »

I don't like Psikyo much myself. Gunbird is alright, Gunbird II is alright, Zero Gunner 2 is pretty cool, Sengoku Blaede is alright, Cho Aniki sucks, and I haven't played enough of the Strikers games to honestly comment on them.

But in general, I find Psikyo somewhat boring, and I find that they just make the same game, only changing the direction the ship moves and some spirtes. IN GENERAL!
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!