RQ: Xexex extra lives

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Rob

RQ: Xexex extra lives

Post by Rob »

Where did they hide them?
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

They're just the hidden powerups. Sometimes they reveal themselves as XEXEX icons (extra lives).

I believe it's randomized. Or, at least the attack (shot, charged pod launch, charge attack, pod attack) you use to reveal the hidden powerups doesn't seem to be a factor.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

random extra lives = good game design

it's like a compile game!
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
CIT

Post by CIT »

There's 3 hidden bonus item spots on every stage. They're always in the same location, so you just gotta learn where they are.

I used to believe the 1UPs were random, and I usually only get one per run, but I saw some Japanese guy get a 1UP just about every second time, so I'm thinking there might be some trick?
saucykobold

Re: RQ: Xexex extra lives

Post by saucykobold »

Would someone be kind enough to translate this (it's very brief)? By imitating the player, I can get the stage one extend about a third of the time. Maybe the annotations can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

I read in a old score from Gamest magazine a comment with 1up x 7. 1up items are random I think.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

The Search Laser seems hard to find. I know shoesama used it for an awesome Boss milk in stage 4. In a pinch, I've substituted Homing Laser but this will result in a speedkill if the HL hits the boss too many times.

Any tips on finding the SL?
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

gameoverDude wrote:The Search Laser seems hard to find. I know shoesama used it for an awesome Boss milk in stage 4. In a pinch, I've substituted Homing Laser but this will result in a speedkill if the HL hits the boss too many times.

Any tips on finding the SL?
From what I remember playing it during STGT, the search laser is more likely to show up in certain stages as opposed to others. I've never gotten it outside of Stages 2 and 5, actually.