biohazard battle worth getting?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
sjewkestheloon

biohazard battle worth getting?

Post by sjewkestheloon »

seen it in my local shop today for 4 quid cart only for the megadrive and wondered if a few of you kind souls could give me some feedback. i'm not a huge hori fan but i'm well up for giving it a try if it's a good example of the genre.

i would emulate it but my pad is pretty terrible and the only way i'll actually play it properly is if i purchase it
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

It's one of the better 16-bit horis. It was received well in its day and deservedly so, as it's very atmospheric. If you see it cheap then go for it.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Thunder Force wrote:It was received well in its day
I do remember EGM gave it a few 5's and 6's, though.

I honestly do not like BHB, but then again I seem to be the only one here who thinks that. It's a pretty lame hori that's aged terribly; it's kinda creepy, I guess.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I like it quite a bit. 4 bucks for almost any game is not too bad, the greater value comes from the time you'll spend playing it.

The music is quite neat also.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

i think its great, great visuals, good music and solid gameplay...

dude at £4 why not just pick it up.. that aint no kind of cash regardless of which game it is..
TVG

Post by TVG »

yes.
4£? its worth much more imo, as its friggin good.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

It's an awesome shmup and horribly underrated, INHO. The only problem was that it had really weird, creepy-looking graphics and that might have turned off some people.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

tehkao wrote:It's an awesome shmup and horribly underrated, INHO. The only problem was that it had really weird, creepy-looking graphics and that might have turned off some people.
haha that reminds me.. first time you see the big piles of poo with all the magotts squirming around in them.. i think stage 2 or 3.. ANYONE i dont care how hardened you are will go - WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!? :lol:
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Its kinda average-ish(leaning more towards the good side), but I like it.
Don't expect ThunderForce III or GleyLancer, but yea, its good.

As someone said, its got a "unique" mood to it that carries it along quite well.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Quite frankly, it's my favorite shooter on the Genny. Nice visuals and interesting levels. Plus, challenging without being frustrating.
overdrive

Post by overdrive »

Personally, I love it. It's creepy and has a great vibe (as far as atmosphere, Wings of Wor may have had a bit more....but this game is a lot prettier). The music fits the game perfectly. In my opinion, the last stage or two don't really live up to the first few, but that's a minor quibble.

Overdrive sez: one of the best 16-bit shooters out there.
www.honestgamers.com
Come....join.....stay forever......
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I actually can't stand the "random beats" music of this game...
FRO

Post by FRO »

Good game. The fact that each of the 4 ships has different weapons based on the powerup icon coloration is a draw - gives it an element of playability that many earlier 16-bit shooters don't have.
it290

Post by it290 »

It's a pretty good game, but I personally don't like any of the weapons that much. I find myself just using the homing weapon combined with the charge shot 90% of the time.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:As someone said, its got a "unique" mood to it that carries it along quite well.
Yes, the atmosphere is reminiscent of R-Type Final... (or rather, aspects of R-Type Final are reminiscent of Biohazard Battle)
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

I quite like BHB myself. Good stuff, IMO. I got mine complete for $4, and feel I've got my money back many times over.
haha that reminds me.. first time you see the big piles of poo with all the magotts squirming around in them.. i think stage 2 or 3.. ANYONE i dont care how hardened you are will go - WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!? Laughing
That bit alone is worth the price of admission...
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

It's excellent. Buy it now.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Thunder Force wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:As someone said, its got a "unique" mood to it that carries it along quite well.
Yes, the atmosphere is reminiscent of R-Type Final... (or rather, aspects of R-Type Final are reminiscent of Biohazard Battle)
I totally agree, but I think R-Type Final is even more "moodier".
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

it290 wrote:It's a pretty good game, but I personally don't like any of the weapons that much. I find myself just using the homing weapon combined with the charge shot 90% of the time.
the yellow straight laser is very good too (great power), and the blue "exploder" has it's uses (especially in the cave and in the water stage). the only one i hardly ever use is the default green shot.
the homing weapon is horrible for the cave because it's always bumps into walls.
one of my top md shmups with hellfire and thunderforce 3.
like twin tale, it was deemed good enough to get a 1:1 PCB port on the MD arcade hardware (mega play i think).
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

BioHazard Battle/ Crying is one of the many games I've 1CC'd, and I have to say the using the right weapon at the right time/level is crucial to survival.
No one single weapon is the best in this game.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I totally agree, but I think R-Type Final is even more "moodier"
Slightly OT, I was actually gonna start a seperate thread on this. Got to play Final for the first time recently, and whatever an individual's opinion on the quality of the game, there's no denying the sheer atmosphere of the it. On of the moddiest, most brooding shooters I've ever played. Adds a lot to the game for me.

An BHB? Add another to the Very Good pile. Second only to Gynoug as far as MD horiz go for me.
Andi

Post by Andi »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:BioHazard Battle/ Crying is one of the many games I've 1CC'd, and I have to say the using the right weapon at the right time/level is crucial to survival.
No one single weapon is the best in this game.
True, however, got through the first 4 or 5 levels using the orange homing laser (I used it up until the factory level). Then I got the blue 360 degree shot and finished the last 2 or 3 levels with it (maybe switching back to the orange on the last part of the last level). So really, you don't have to worry about the weapon too much.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

thanks guys. after reading the massive positive response i've gone and got it, along with sonic spinball (lol) for 5 pound because i know the guy who works there.

going to make a drink, set my megadrive up, and have a blast for half an hour.

i'll report with my impressions, but considering i love the gothic style of gynoug, i think i'm going to love this
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

I really like BioHazard Battle. It's not the most sophisticated game i've ever played, but it's a lot of fun, and like everybody else says, the mood and atmosphere of the game is top notch. Almost makes it worth playing just because of that. some of the boss battles are kind of lame, but the levels are really fun. it gets really fast paced towards the end.

i also love the music. very unique, really has a style all of its own. i'll never forget the first time i heard the main theme on the 1st level. HOLY CRAP. :shock:
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

seems pretty sweet. great sensitivity on the controld plus the fact that it's being played on the best d-pad ever (my well worn in 6 button)

the second level boss was a bit lame but at least i think i've found a game that i think i'm capable of 1cc.

so what score can you guys go for on this game? give me some targets hehe :)
TVG

Post by TVG »

my favorite weapon is the multidirectionnal yellow, just cant get enough of it, too fun to use.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

I'd just like to add that this game has a goddamned fantastic soundtrack.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

great soundtrack. jp version had a fantastic name (Crying as someone said). good graphics. but i hate the sucker. i can respect the design of the game, but it lacks that sense of fun to me. this is one of those games that i pop in now and again to feel like i got my money's worth.

... i'm selling it as well. click on my sig. sorry had to say it.
I have no sig whatsoever.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

got to stage 4

got owned by poo maggots

lmfao