Touhou 10 - Fuujinroku (Mountain of Faith)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

The bombs kill off your Options, however, one per usage. (Think Salamander 2.)
Not a problem as Marisa, but Reimu is gimped without a full complement of Options.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

Sure beats dying XD

I have a really shitty lunatic clear if anyone's interested.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

If they only refrained from halving the screen...
Imperishable would've been much better with a full screen. Crazier, and better.
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Fenrir wrote:If they only refrained from halving the screen...
Imperishable would've been much better with a full screen. Crazier, and better.
That's the problem I find with ZUN's games. While they're technically excellent in design and gameplay, they're also gimped by being stuck in a yoko screen layout with the side panel. One wonders just how awesome the likes of Imperishable Night, Shoot the Bullet and now Mountain of Faith would be if they had true TATE screen layout. -_-;;
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I've tried a few times to get this to work, and no luck...it keeps telling me that d3dx9_31.dll isn't found. According to the Shrinemaiden forums DLing the latest DirectX should fix that, but I did so and it didn't work. Wonder what I'm doing wrong...
RyanDG

Post by RyanDG »

Did you download the .dll file that is on the link with the demo and put it into your system files?

That helped me.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

RyanDG wrote:Did you download the .dll file that is on the link with the demo and put it into your system files?
Well don't I feel silly... :oops: Thanks for the tip! Anyways, impressions and whatnot after a few quick playthroughs...

Off the cuff, I'd say ZUN's continuing to improve his graphical prowess (good) but at something of an expense to bullet visibility (bad). I've never been as big a fan of his music as some other players of his stuff are, but it's no better or worse than the others, which means it doesn't affect me much, no problem there. In terms of gameplay, according to the blog translations I've read he's trying to get "back to basics" with this one...I guess that some might not mind that, especially in light of the complex score systems he's used in his past games, but I can't help but feel that this game doesn't have quite as much of his "touch" as some of my favorites did (I felt the same about his TSS clone, incidentally). While the overall concept is simpler, it also feels much more memory-based than most of his older work, which strikes me not so much as "old school" as "archaic": the increased bomb availablity was okay, I suppose, but then again I felt compelled to use them more often than usual.

More playtime (and the full version) is needed for me to say much more, I suppose, but from here it seems that, in my book, ZUN has yet to top PCB and IN.
RyanDG

Post by RyanDG »

I've put in a Lunatic run that I completed last night... I'm planning on uploading it a bit later, but I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with this game. I like the whole counter balance system for bomb usage. Pretty ingenious - and I can't seem to recall another game that uses the same mechanics... Am I just not thinking hard enough about it?

Great stuff overall... Some of the bullet patterns are jaw dropping towards the end on Lunatic.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Yup, it's a good game. Very polished compared to the earlier games.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

lol gj with lunatic clear

Anyways here's my crappy lunatic clear replay if anyone wants to trade strategies and stuff.

Most of it is bomb abuse though so uh... there's prolly little you'll get from it.

I wonder if bombing is a valid strategy for chaining.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

:lol:
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

:lol: indeed!

However, the "going to heaven" picture preceeded by a screen full of bullets is missing.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Leviathean

Post by Leviathean »

Icarus wrote:<link to MoF demo>
Don't say I never give you people anything.
Yes, I am playing it, and yes, it is pretty good.
Icarus, please take that link down.
First, you did not upload it, so please don't talk like it's yours to give out.
Next, the link is for private use, and was not for you to disclose publicly. It may have been that you found the link somewhere else other than our IRC channel--if so, I understand you might have not known, but still, remove it from your post.

PS. I am just a friend of the hoster, so please don't get angry at the messenger. I'm just repeating her words.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Done.
Demo shouldn't be hard to find now, anyway.
Erinu

Post by Erinu »

Please don't link to direct downloads in the future, it's very rude.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Demo 0.2 out for free now!!!

http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/top.html
General Martok

Post by General Martok »

:!: downloading it now.
Apparently grazing is back , aswell as new music and difficulty adjustments (easier?)
Can't wait to try it.
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Anyone have a link to a place to purchase tohou games?
VorpalEdge

Post by VorpalEdge »

The Touhou Wiki lists www.paletweb.com , but I have no experience with them.
system11

Post by system11 »

Another one to buy and load onto the Touhoucab - that game looks like another solid entry in the series.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

bloodflowers wrote:Touhoucab
fantastic project bloodflowers :D
I have no sig whatsoever.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

BulletMagnet wrote:More playtime (and the full version) is needed for me to say much more, I suppose, but from here it seems that, in my book, ZUN has yet to top PCB and IN.
Spoken like someone who has never played Shoot the Bullet. :wink:
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
stanski

Post by stanski »

STB sucks.

This game is awesome though, loving the simple item/enemy chaining scoring system.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Another one to buy and load onto the Touhoucab - that game looks like another solid entry in the series.
Do you put any other doujins on that baby? I wonder how it would be to play Guxt on a cabinet!
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

Dandy J wrote:
Twiddle wrote:This game needs snipers and places where you have to actually zip from one screen to another.

shame my taste is niche within a niche Image
no its going to be another 5 stages of sit in a spot and

move left 5 pixels

move right 3 pixels

move right 3 pixels

move right 3 pixels

move right 3 pixels

wait

move right 3 pixels

oops the boss moved

move left 10 pixels

Agreed.

Im probably one of the very few shmup fans that just doesnt really "get" this series.

I have a couple of them, messed with them a bit, tried out the craziest difficulties (they arent quite as crazy as I'd like, honestly), and..... well, I havent touched them much. I got into Psikyo's stuff shortly after getting those couple of Touhou games, so those pulled me away, and I havent yet felt like going back to them. And of course playing alot of Cave stuff.

They're not bad games, not at all, but I honestly found myself getting a little bored.....

Probably, though, I havent played them enough, or really messed around with the scoring systems (which would probably make it alot more interesting).

Ah well, I'll get around to them eventually. Just too many of these shmup games to play right now, lol.

For now, back to Galuda....
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

lol they really don't have scoring systems

It's just no miss no bomb, buzz stuff, shoot things to make some meter fluctuate just because.

Slowass bullet walls = fail.
stanski

Post by stanski »

and how exactly is that different from the scoring system in almost every shmup? Besides the fact that you can't bomb or die, i don't see why everyone rags on touhou scoring systems. Japanese players seem to really like them.

And if the bullets are too slow, play on extra.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I got this game, i made it to final boss on normal.... on first try ever :lol: she's a bitch to beat... so i must wait for a new PS2 Gamepad to play that game correctly again
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

shoe-sama wrote:lol they really don't have scoring systems

It's just no miss no bomb, buzz stuff, shoot things to make some meter fluctuate just because.

Slowass bullet walls = fail.
Uh, there are scoring systems to each game. IN has item collection, knowing where and when to use Human vs Phantom, keeping the meter always above/below 80%/-80% and knowing how to quick switch between the two, or avoid quick switching in some cases, and lots of boss milking. A very large part of your score does come from no miss/no bomb, but there's still a scoring system there.

Most people rag on Touhou for the bullet patterns being slow and mostly just requiring very little movement to get through. It's a specific style of pattern that they happen to base the entire game series around. I can understand people hating the series because of that because it means there's very little diversity in technique used to beat bosses.

Edit: Just 1cc'ed the game on Normal ... on my second try, with 4 lives left over. :I Probably the easiest Touhou yet to clear... you get so many bombs it's almost a travesty.

On a positive note, I'll say that this game does a remarkably good job of making the player MOVE. There's still plenty of moving pixels left and right, but there are also quite a few patterns that really require you to do some real movement. There are also a LOT of fast moving bullets in the game. It was a bit of a wakeup after just finishing Trouble Witches.

The scoring system is pretty simple minded and it seems to just generally fit in with the basic idea of grabbing all the items. I'm still wondering about tactical bomb usage for score though, as it seems like a definite possibility at times.