Wikipedia removes links to Destroy all Monsters! ;(

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MikeB

Wikipedia removes links to Destroy all Monsters! ;(

Post by MikeB »

Bloody Wikipedia. Have just been notified that some external links I added for DAM on wikipedia, not for personal gain but because I feel some of the info on DAM is pertinent.. have been block-removed and the damn 'link update patrol' nazis have are now trying to ban the domain for apparently 'spamming' and adding 'innapropriate content'. Eh..???

Mike B
DAM http://stickycarpet.com/dam
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

They'll just remove it again, ban us all, and lock the article thinking that we're some kind of botnet. Not a good idea.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
szycag

Post by szycag »

sorry but you were asking for it. it's you posting your site, pertinent or not.
That is Galactic Dancing
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

'Innapropriate content' my arse.
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szycag

Post by szycag »

heh... I think it would look suspicious so soon after. and that you would want it back up there that bad shows that well, you do care about getting the visits. i hate the rules too though...
That is Galactic Dancing
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

szycag wrote:heh... I think it would look suspicious so soon after. and that you would want it back up there that bad shows that well, you do care about getting the visits. i hate the rules too though...
It just really annoys me if they are taking it off if thay think it's a 'fan' site.. all the links on there are fan sites! It's not like it makes the information any less pertinent as I'm sure you'll agree.

Yes I'd like people to see the site.. I work damn hard on it (just spent a .whole day writing and HTML'ing one page on Last Duel..

I'm just passionate about shmups, and I think it shows on the site. If wikipedia think it's not good enough then it makes me mad no end :evil: :roll:
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

hey everyone, i've been accused of being a spammer, so please help me spam!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Okay then .. maybe it's time to give up this website malarkey once and for all then...

I really don't feel that giving away 2 weeks of my life per month on the project for the last 3 months been worth it lately with the complete lack of appreciation from you lot..
szycag

Post by szycag »

eh, i like your site :(
That is Galactic Dancing
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

MikeB wrote:Okay then .. maybe it's time to give up this website malarkey once and for all then...

I really don't feel that giving away 2 weeks of my life on the project has the last 3 months been worth it lately with the complete lack of appreciation from you lot..
settle down beavis, I was just making a joke and trying to point out the flaw in your logic.

Your site is valuable and useful. Wikipedia? not so much. There is some useful information there, but it has become overpopulated with people whose sole purpose in life seems to be telling people how wrong they are.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Okay but as is evident I feel quite strongly about it.

Basically they've sent me a message saying that DAM isnt 'notable' enough to be on the shootemup page links which I take great exception to seeing as I've devoted a large chunk of my life to it and think it IS perfectly reasonable that it be featured. And I'm snorting like an angry bull at the mo due the the nonsense of it all. So maybe wait for a bit for me to calm down before posting anything inflammatory towards me eh? ;)
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

I find Sega-16 links posted on any article remotely linked to Sega or Genesis, so I wonder what the standard/definition on spam is.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I don't think they have one - look at all the world of spectrum links.. there's actually a user registered as 'woslinker' who's put hundreds of them up..

To be honest the amount of traffic coming from wikipedia is so minimal I really shoudn't give a toss. But it's the principle of the thing being run by elitists who think they know what external sites people should be allowed to view or are 'notable' enough to include on whats supposed to be a 'community' that irks me so..
Last edited by MikeB on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The guy who took the DAM links down for not being 'notable' enough. Funnily enough he works for Classic Gaming. Did someone say 'conflict of interest'?
Last edited by MikeB on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

The guy who deleted your links is clrearly an ass. Just tell me which articles a link to DAM was deleted from and I'll put the links back in. Out of principle.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I'm also a video game and personal computer historian and collector, as well as an Atari historian and collector.
wow what a buttery piece of shit
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Member of TwinGalaxies
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

We should go burn his trailer down.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

Is this clown a member of our forums?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Off Topic.

My advice: Stop complaining and work on your site if you like it, not because you want it to be recognized as some great source of information.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

'it has become overpopulated with people whose sole purpose in life seems to be telling people how wrong they are.'

Coudnt agree more mate.
Stop complaining and work on your site if you like it, not because you want it to be recognized as some great source of information.
That not it at all Ghegs. I'm just pissed at the site's shabby treatment by the elitist minority which it really doesnt deserve after surviving for nearly 8 years. And yes.. they've kind of won as it makes me feel like the site's redundant.

Enough to make me give up working on it for good. I've got better things to be spending my time on.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Hey, take it easy, most (or all) here like your site and wish for it to continue.

Like I said above, tell me which articles links were deleted from and I'll replace them.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Lame. I once had a quantum fuckload of corrections (with official sources) made to the Castlevania entries removed with no reason given. This was many years ago though.
Godzilla was an inside job
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

MikeB wrote:It just really annoys me if they are taking it off if thay think it's a 'fan' site.. all the links on there are fan sites! It's not like it makes the information any less pertinent as I'm sure you'll agree.
Dude, it's a fan site. Yeah, you have some good information there about shooters, but the design, the writing, lack of domain name, etc., scream fan site. It's definitely not encyclopedic in nature, it's not professional journalism; it's the equivalant to an online fanzine, and that's not a bad thing so don't go taking that as another reason to call it quits. There's a shitload of fan sites out there with tons of great information that aren't tripping out about a stupid Wikipedia link.
It just really annoys me if they are taking it off if thay think it's a 'fan' site.. all the links on there are fan sites!
Wikipedia's trying to tone down the crapton of external links people put up and fansites are usually the first to go. They want only official sites and larger mainstream press sites linked. If you browse through their featured articles on games, you'll see that not many of the subjects there have anything outside of links to their official site, GameFAQs, or whatever. Just looking through the shoot 'em up page's external links, I'd say that all but the shmups.com link would be tossed if certain people there were shooting for featured article.

Advice: If your information is so pertinant, then begin adding it to Wikipedia articles and then reference it to your original web page properly within a citations/reference footnote list or whatever the fuck they call it. But then you'll come back posting all mad about how they deleted that because you added 'original research' to the page.
Enough to make me give up working on it for good. I've got better things to be spending my time on.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
now tighter than your sister
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Allow me to say that I enjoyed your site immensely back when I decided to reacquaint myself with the shooter genre at the turn of the millennium. The colorful, loose presentation brought me back to the nostalgic days of 90s magazine articles.

I'm sure almost everyone here appreciates the effort you've made. However, if Wikipedia has already decided not to accept the entry, what can anybody else do? It's not like they personally hate you or anything as the reason for not allowing the link.

That said, don't rely on Wikipedia to gauge your success. After all, the editors there killed the Daigo Umehara (JP guy who plays many fighters at the top level) entry because they felt he was too much of a nobody without any mention in English literary sources. I guarantee that anybody who really wants to get into shooters will quickly find DAM through Google, as I did 7 years ago.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dude, it's a fan site. Yeah, you have some good information there about shooters, but the design, the writing, lack of domain name, etc., scream fan site.

True. But so is Hardcore Gaming 101. So is World of Spectrum. So is Gradius Planet and the R-Type hanger. I don't see anyone taking their links down. This is a niche subject, there's not a lot of 'professional' sites out there, if at all. You'd think the wiki admins would give us 'little guys' the benefit of the doubt really. It's not as if there is any personal gain for me as a result of having links on wikipedia, and the traffic amounts to about 5 people a month from say a link from their R-Type page. It's the accusations of 'spam linking' I find so hard to swallow, like I'm doing something underhand and seedy by adding a link to a page because I think people searching for the game on wikipedia might be actually interested in the relevant page on DAM. And now I'm accused of spam linking from different IP addresses as if I'm a criminal on the run from the internet police. The whole thing is extremely shabby and like I say makes me want to quit the scene for good.

Now I know how Rando felt.

PS thanks for the support Ganelon ;)

PPS This is intended my last word on the subject :)
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

I appreciate your site and I wouldn't worry about Wikipedia.
It's not as if there is any personal gain for me as a result of having links on wikipedia, and the traffic amounts to about 5 people a month from say a link from their R-Type page.
I certainly wouldn't give a damn about 'spam linking'.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

MikeB wrote: True. But so is Hardcore Gaming 101. So is World of Spectrum. So is Gradius Planet and the R-Type hanger. I don't see anyone taking their links down.
If you really think those links are irrelevant you may be able to remove them yourself. After all, Wikipedia is the encyclopedia anyone can edit.

About DAM though, I would just like to say that I started reading it this evening, and it reminds me a lot of what shmups.com used to be like when it was active. That is a very good thing.
SWY: Games are just for fun
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Cheers DEL :)
If you really think those links are irrelevant you may be able to remove them yourself.
I don't have a problem with 'em - they are all informative useful links and should be there, regardless of who posted them on Wikipedia in the first place.
After all, Wikipedia is the encyclopedia anyone can edit. .
I was under the mis-apprehension that was the case.. till today ;)
About DAM though, I would just like to say that I started reading it this evening, and it reminds me a lot of what shmups.com used to be like when it was active. That is a very good thing
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

I majored in history in college and I always had a special interest in the American west and my city's place in that history. Little did I know that wikipedia doesn't give a shit about credentials or well researched and sourced facts. If you're not some jobless elitest asshole who has nothing better to do than troll an article, you simply won't have the time to defend your changes from edit wars or participate in the discussions in any meaningful way without having your responses blanked. You want to see tragedy? Take a look at the Texas Rangers article which was rolled over by a couple "America FUCK YEAH!" idiots who have little knowledge of Texas but love Walker Texas Ranger.

I like your webpage and I think my opinion counts for a whole lot more than a random wikipedia elitest.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!