GD: Gradius V

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

AtaruMoroboshi

Just got this, just have 10 minutes racked up. Didn't see a GD for this game, so I'm making one, because I want to hear strategies and suggestions and what not.

First off, it's nice to see that Double is actually useful in this game.

Second off, my first impression is that type 2 is the most versital and useful option arrangement, since you can aim in any and all directions you like. Does anyone who plays this game competitvely (for 1cc's and high score) use any of the other option types? Type 1 seems pretty cool as well.

I like that the hit box is smaller than in previous Gradius games, and that the patterns are claustrophobic from the get go without being brutally cheap.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:37 am

thesuperkillerxxx

Post subject:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but type 4 seems to be a lot more powerful than the others. I kill the first boss with it before it gets a chance to spin.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:27 pm

AtaruMoroboshi

Post subject:

I can kill the first boss before it spins with type 1 and with type 2.

all I have to do is concentrate fire on it and then point-blank it as it attempts to start firing the red lasers.

Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:55 pm

Darkcomet72

Post subject: Re: GD: Gradius V

AtaruMoroboshi wrote:

First off, it's nice to see that Double is actually useful in this game.

Double was actually useful in Gradius Galaxies, and Gradius Gaiden...

For other games, I only use double when there are enemies that I can't reach... Which measn a lot. I change quite often, actually.

Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:27 am

hikarutilmitt

Post subject:

My personal favorite is Type 4, actually. It's more useful for my play style since I can chew through enemies in stages and have more coverage during bosses. I also like having the 2-way back missiles for those pesky walker and pods that shoot bullets everywhere. I can tell you right now that I can't stand Type 3. It's a pain in the ass to use and doesn't help much at all.

Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:40 am

Lys

Post subject:

I love how everyone has a different preferred Option setup! It really allows for different playing styles.

I myself am a Type 3 guy. You get nearly screen-filling coverage for wide-open areas, and can adjust it for tunnel-width when moving through narrower passages. It's ideal for aiming Lasers into the narrow channels of Cores, too.

Score-wise, I need to find a balance - I find that using Type 3 almost requires me to kill the Stage 1 boss before it spins, whereas going for score would be helped by taking out all the turrets first; Type 3 isn't the ideal setup for playing defense.

Lys

Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:13 am

subcons

Post subject:

I'm digging on Type 3 the most as well. Like Lys mentioned, it gives pretty good coverage and is great at making concentrated shots as well.

I can see Type 2 being the best... if you're good at controlling it that is. I simply find myself dying using it because I'm too caught up in aiming with it. I haven't given it enough time though. I'm sure with practice it can be quite devastating.

As for Type 4, is there any confirmation that it actually is stronger than the others? That would make it far more interesting to use for me.

Cave. What's next?

Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:14 pm

Darkcomet72

Post subject:

I haven't played the game yet, and I see that I'm going to be a Type 1 person.

Types 1,3, and 4 are all homages to something, what about Type 2?

Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:28 pm

Lys

Post subject:

Type 2 reminds me of the Free Range from Thunder Force 5, but without the proximity damage increase. I don't think it's intentional or it would be more similar, but it's the weapon it most reminds me of.

Lys

Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:45 pm

Kiken

Post subject:

Lys wrote:
Type 2 reminds me of the Free Range from Thunder Force 5, but without the proximity damage increase. I don't think it's intentional or it would be more similar, but it's the weapon it most reminds me of.

Lys

Actually, I see Type 2 more as a Forgotten Worlds homage.

Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:15 pm

Lys

Post subject:

Of course! I'd completely forgotten about Forgotten Worlds!

How... appropriate.

Lys

Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:27 pm

Jugem

Post subject:

subcons wrote:
As for Type 4, is there any confirmation that it actually is stronger than the others? That would make it far more interesting to use for me.

It's not stronger than the others. It just provides a continuous vertical range of fire, as opposed to the stacked option layout of type 3 (which is discrete rather than continuous). And it can also take out enemies a little behind you. Type 1 could also create a similar setup, but would require a bit of time and space in order to get the options in the correct place to freeze. The benefit of type 4 is that you don't have to move at all to get that setup; all you have to do is stay still and hold R1.

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:44 am

EvilAkito

Post subject:

I'm definately a Type-2 person. Multi-directional fire is so useful, especially in some of the later levels. There is even this part in level 6 (I think) where you fly backwards and a bunch of enemies sit in your way. I don't even know how you can get past that without some sort of backwards fire power. Type-2 is great for that situation.

Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:42 pm

Minzoku

Post subject:

You get past it by not really shooting a lot of things, apparently. That's why it's boggling thinking all of these "Loop 16" people are getting it with Freeze type Granted, their scores weren't very high for it, but I'm saying.

-Epitaph in the R Museum-

Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:15 am

CMoon

Post subject:

If you are having problems with type 2, try remapping the buttons. For instance, mine is...

R1=rapid shot/missles (held down at all time)
Triantle=Option button
Circle=Power up

The beauty of this layout is that I can pretty much keep my thumb over Triangle and Circle at all times--releasing triangle whenver I need to dodge. This is a pretty intuitive layout, far better than the default one, worth giving a shot.

So, are there any plans for a big Gradius V strategy guide--a few parts of 4, a lot of 5 and all of 6 are kicking my ass!

Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:58 am

WarpZone

Post subject:

^
Well, all the Option types can attack backwards to a certain degree, it's just most obvious with Type 2 (ie: aim and fire ). With some of the other types, Double really helps when attacking things at the back.

Notice with Type 2 Double you can spin the D-pad for a really cool "pinwheel" shot in all directions. Probably not too useful, though...

Lys wrote:
I love how everyone has a different preferred Option setup! It really allows for different playing styles.

Yes, I thought the same thing! Type 3 is my favorite right now, and I was surprised to see two others are also using it. I especially like destroying things on the floors and ceilings simultaneously with it.

Question to anybody:
When using lasers, is there a noticable benefit to tapping the button instead of holding it down? When holding you get a slight lag between shots, so it seems sometimes it's better to tap (at least if you're at a distance). But I haven't really noticed if this is actually better for attacking cores or not yet.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:04 am

sethsez

Post subject:

I'm definitely a fan of Type 1. It feels more versatile than 3 or 4, and I just can't get used to having to stop to adjust 2, so it's a perfect fit for me.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:55 am

Landshark

Post subject:

WarpZone wrote:
^
Question to anybody:
When using lasers, is there a noticable benefit to tapping the button instead of holding it down? When holding you get a slight lag between shots, so it seems sometimes it's better to tap (at least if you're at a distance). But I haven't really noticed if this is actually better for attacking cores or not yet.

Tapping the button is good when you have alot of enemies coming at you rapidly from all angles. Wrap the options around you and rapid fire the laser button so you do not get a significant delay.

This works well with level 4's green dots and level 7 (I think it is 7) constant streams of enemies (something like 300 enemies rush you rapidly from the right??).

My best score so far has been with Type2. It's fun to sweep that laser all over. My next best score is with Type 4.

But I really like playing with Type1, and is what I have put most of my time in with.

Nothing really helps me with the Acid Pool level though. That just rips me to shreds. And if I make it through the level, the boss rush is brutal. The rolly polly boss and the circular boss with the 5 or 6 cores rotating in the center is INSANE.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:16 pm

EvilAkito

Post subject:

CMoon wrote:
a few parts of 4, a lot of 5 and all of 6 are kicking my ass!
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Those are some difficult levels. The best way to practice them is to turn the check points on in the options menu, then play the levels in stage select mode. That way you won't be able to finish the levels until you can beat each part without dying. You'll also learn to become less dependant on your options.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:18 pm

Landshark

Post subject:

Can someone please post some pointers on getting through the level 4 regenerating wall part. The really long stretch where there are no rest points and those f@#king crawlers burrow through into you.

I played 2 games of GV tonight, both times I died on the level 5 boss because I had 0 extra guys in reserve. And everytime I made it to the level 4 wall regen area and lost EVERY extra guy to it.

I am using type-1 btw.

I have done it before with no options by just happening to be in the right spot and slowly breaking the wall apart. No crawlers hit me. But that was only once. Every other time, one of those crawlers hits me and if I try to shoot them, I shoot too much wall and end up running into the right edge of the screen and getting regen'd over.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:15 pm

EvilAkito

Post subject:

What I always do is stay at the right edge of the screen and keep firing. As for the crawlers, I guess you just have to try to find the safest stop to borrow through. I can just kill them with the type-2 multiples, but if you're using type-1, I guess you'll just have to be extra careful.

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:44 pm

subcons

Post subject:

EvilAkito wrote:
What I always do is stay at the right edge of the screen and keep firing. As for the crawlers, I guess you just have to try to find the safest stop to borrow through. I can just kill them with the type-2 multiples, but if you're using type-1, I guess you'll just have to be extra careful.

This is exactly what I did the one time I got through that long stretch of wall without eating it.

And if you're using Type 1 (as I am now), you can just freeze your multiples in a dense formation behind you before you enter the wall. Should keep you protected if you aren't in the right spot.

Cave. What's next?

Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:07 pm

Landshark

Post subject:

I found burrowing through on the bottom so that a thin line of flesh is still visible above your power-up-bar keeps me from encountering any burrowers (hugging the right wall the whole time).

I'm really missing out on a ton of points though

Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:00 pm

slax0r

Post subject:

I'm a Type 4 person myself, and I was wondering if the rotating clockwise/counterclockwise makes any difference at all.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:29 am

Rob

Post subject:

Kiken wrote:
Lys wrote:

Lys

Yeah! I love Forgotten Worlds. It also comes really naturally after spending so much time with Zero Gunner 2.

Can anyone tell me where exactly the hitbox is?

Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:10 pm

subcons

Post subject:

Rob wrote:
Kiken wrote:

Yeah! I love Forgotten Worlds. It also comes really naturally after spending so much time with Zero Gunner 2.

I never really thought about it along the lines of ZG2. I love ZG2 and find the controls fairly intuitive for what it does. But I simply cannot play with Type 2 efficiently at this point.

Think I might actually put some time into using this Type tonight. See what I can come up with.

Cave. What's next?

Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:26 pm

Rob

Post subject:

Yeah, it just takes a little time with type 2 and it'll be just as easy to control as ZG2. Remapping the buttons helps a lot. It makes it almost exactly like ZG2 - X is shot and square is for option repositioning. Really I don't even pay attention to Vic's main shot. My mind is focused on the options. I like that with this option type you don't have to keep the button pressed, the options stay put when you want them to. But you can also freeze the options in place when necessary, so it's got a bit of type 1 in there too.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:57 pm

Ghegs

Post subject:

Rob wrote:
Can anyone tell me where exactly the hitbox is?

The cockpit. Assuming we're still talking about Gradius V and not Forgotten Worlds or Zero Gunner 2.

Have an arcade near you? List its games at International Arcade Locator!

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:56 pm

Rob

Post subject:

I figured. It has felt a bit funny since I'm used to hitboxes located more back and towards the center. It is really small then, very helpful.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:28 pm

Minzoku

Post subject:

Yeah, it's really cool sometimes--I managed to pull off a lot of BS dodge sequences thanks to the tiny hitbox... four bullets converge on me with no way out, all of them miraculously miss

I also captured a fairly pathetic mistake on tape, where I somehow managed to go THROUGH the arm beam from the final boss of Stage 2...! Didn't quite make it BACK, though

Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:46 am

AtaruMoroboshi

Post subject:

Can anyone help me out with second half of Stage 3?

I consistently 1-life to the middle of this stage, and then once it starts scrolling vert instead of hori, I start dying. Not immediately, but once the flamethrowers+laser-throwing-ships+gun turrets part happens, I start dying.

And once I get to the boss, I could deal with the boss by itself, but the turrets shooting bullets at me from the bottom of the screen are killing me.

I play as type-1, because I find it is great for really precise offense.

Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:48 am

Minzoku

Post subject:

I'm poor without Type 2 but if you want to just survive it, take out the little peashooter gun turrets and fire pits, then avoid the large ships entirely by hugging the wall. I aim straight up and take them out from underneath because it's easier to get centered that way, but I don't know how to do it for Type 1.

Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:08 pm

subcons

Post subject:

I also use Type 1 the most and usually die at about the same spot. I have done it numerous times without dying, but I generally make a dumb mistake along the way.

Here's some ideas:

First of all, any time I go into a stage other than the first and I didn't die at the boss, I try and pick up a shield ASAP. Usually by the beginning of stage three, you should be maxed out. If you have Laser (I usually do), then get a Double for the cave area ahead. Then work towards that shield. Once you have that, work towards another and hold it. That way, if you lose it, bam, you have another.

Next, hold onto your Double through the first half of the vert scrolling part. It's easier to get down to that part if you've got this as opposed to Laser with Type 1. Just try and alternate your Multiples behind you and under you. I usually keep them out in a curve going down and to the right and hug the left wall, moving them to my back to kill stuff behind me.

Now, you get quite a few power ups in this section. So, figure out the latest possible chance to get Laser before you get to the zig zag part with the two big ships. If you've lost any shield through any of this, get hit by a couple bullets and get a new one before working towards Laser.

With four Multiples and Laser, you should be able to take the big ships down with little effort. Just keep your multiples extended out as far as possible in front of and behind you in a straight line while shooting and stick the last one on the end inside the core. Once you do this it's a cakewalk to the boss.

After those two last flame throwers, just work towards more shield as a backup. You can take the boss down without even leaving between his legs on the left because if all goes well, you have some extra hits to take from his laser.

I know some of that seems obvious, just wanted to be detailed in what I find works. Hope that helps.

Cave. What's next?

Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:14 am

Darkcomet72

Post subject:

Type 3 double has an amazing effect... you can shoot almost anywhere with that.

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:40 am

AtaruMoroboshi

Post subject:

I realized how to deal with the 3rd stage boss with Type 1

putting the options straight up above me spread out, I can attack the boss aggressively, taking time to find refuge (ha) when it's about to shoot the flame attack.

and then get right in it's face shooting from the side; sometimes I can dodge from top to bottom etc to avoid the guided red shots but I have to do more experimenting to see if that's a viable consistent no-death boss killing strategy.

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:02 pm

Landshark

Post subject:

2 questions:

In level 7, how do you get past those pillars of flame before the wall-boss? They just arrive on the floor and I cannot find a way past them without dying by crashing through them. There do not seem to be any enemies to block the beam for me.

In 2-1, how on earth do you get TO the boss without dying? When the ring warps in, I spontaneously explode. I've tried it 2 times now and everytime about 1 or 2 seconds after it warps in, I explode. It's like the ring itself is hitting me as it spins along the horizontal axis to fill the screen.

Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:32 pm

subcons

Post subject:

Landshark wrote:
In level 7, how do you get past those pillars of flame before the wall-boss? They just arrive on the floor and I cannot find a way past them without dying by crashing through them. There do not seem to be any enemies to block the beam for me.

You have to shoot two of the balls that come before the flames. Put one over the first flame, blocking it, then shoot the other past it to the second. Fly above and viola.

I didn't make it to the 2-1 boss yet (almost), so I can't answer that one yet.

Cave. What's next?

Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:59 pm

Zach Keene

Post subject:

Landshark wrote:
In 2-1, how on earth do you get TO the boss without dying? When the ring warps in, I spontaneously explode. I've tried it 2 times now and everytime about 1 or 2 seconds after it warps in, I explode. It's like the ring itself is hitting me as it spins along the horizontal axis to fill the screen.

Crashing into either core as it warps in will kill you. Fly high or low for a bit and fly through the ring generators instead (er... before they get into place, of course.)

Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:11 pm

AtaruMoroboshi

Post subject:

what do we know about rank in gradius V? I think kiken mentioned something about missles having a significant effect on certain enemies' bullet patterns.

Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:02 pm
whoisKeel

Post by whoisKeel »

Check out this link:
http://www.geocities.jp/bgr44gsl/

He's got hand drawn maps of pretty much the whole game, kinda fun to look at. I've seen some of his videos and he is amazing.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

whoisKeel wrote:Check out this link:
http://www.geocities.jp/bgr44gsl/

He's got hand drawn maps of pretty much the whole game, kinda fun to look at. I've seen some of his videos and he is amazing.
Oh yes the famous BGR-44 san...

He 1cc the first 5 loops in GV and ended with more than 16 million points. he IS amazing.
nullstar

Level 6 acid pool

Post by nullstar »

OK, so I plowed through the game on VE mode because I just found out about the weapon edit...so I've now played level 6 twice...(flamethrower and rotating options kick @$$, BTW)

I actually have some trouble with Type 2, and I find myself preferring Type 1 or Type 3 -- Type 1 w/ four options in locked formation w/ double made the acid pool a breeze (although it seems more like something I'd expect from an R-Type game). I'm curious from those who use something other than 2 how you get through this area. (Also interested in hearing how anyone does it with less than a full set of options and/or regular shot.)

Also, does anyone else find that the background and foreground blend too much visually on some levels? I'm thinking of the asteroid field most of all but also several of the others. (Not to mention the perspective problems brought about when some of those platforms appear to be colliding but are not due to the perspective, and I crash...)
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Just wondering what weapon edits people find the most effective?

also, that post with all the posts in it is a nightmare to read, is there anyway of improving it?
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
EIHoppe

Post by EIHoppe »

Signed up a while ago (been viewing the site and forums for almost a year) and finally bothered to post. Yay for me, I guess...

At any rate, it usually depends on what options I'm using.

With Freeze, I usually use Spread Bombs, Vertical (although it doesn't see much action), and E.Laser or Ripple.

With Directionals, it's either Spreads or Flying Torpedoes, Tailgun (once again doesn't see very much use), and always normal laser.

With Formations, I usually end up changing it a lot, but recently I've begun to use Flying Torpedo, Tailgun, and E.Lasers. The torps usually take care of the smaller enemies and shrinking the Zelos on Stage 1.

I never use Rotating all that much-every once in a while, if you can call it that. Never use the same setup every time though. Might have to try the flamethrower with them, however. I'll get back to you.

In other news, I *almost* 1CCed Gradius V. Got to Stage 8, got careless, twitched, and died on the damned swinging...eyeball...shooty...guys. Bah.

~EI
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I actually started out playing as Type 3... although I have converted to Type 1.

Anyway, I always took out the turrets of the Stage 1 boss first when I use Type 3. With full options, and Double + Missile, and a powerup waiting on Laser.
Bring the options in close, and fly to the bottom of the screen, right above the bottom middle turret, and your Double + Missiles should destroy the 3 bottom ones quickly. Then fly up to the top and do the same thing to the upper turrets (your missiles should be firing upwards now). Once those are destroyed, powerup to Laser and take on the Core, it should only spin once before it's destroyed.... but die once and you might as well just wait for the boss to time out...
landshark

Post by landshark »

MovingTarget wrote:Just wondering what weapon edits people find the most effective?

also, that post with all the posts in it is a nightmare to read, is there anyway of improving it?
Freeze + Spread Bomb + Regular Laser is mass death.

The down side is it can be hard to see what's going on with the big blue explosions. But when you drag an option into a core with the spreadbombs and laser, it dies quick.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

cheers will have to try that out :)

Is it just me or is type 1 >>> type 2 for bosses, but type 2 >>> type 1 for the main areas?
landshark

Post by landshark »

MovingTarget wrote:cheers will have to try that out :)

Is it just me or is type 1 >>> type 2 for bosses, but type 2 >>> type 1 for the main areas?
Yup.
rib

Post by rib »

i need to put that topic back because i wanted to play gradius v again and finally beat it, yeah right i still didnt beat it, my problem is the stage 6 cage boss, i just dont hit him, it took me like 6 continue and a lot of time to beat him and im just avoiding all the bullest and shooting him but since he releales his core so rarelly i takes me ages and after i beat him which happens not much i die shartly after because i have left just a few lifes.
sounds poor? yes indeed! so please help me.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I only play type 1. The trick with type 1 is to drag your options on top of it. You stay in front of the ball while it is rolling around and force the ball to roll on top of your options.

You can kill it before it gets a chance to spew lasers everywhere.
WarpZone

Re: Level 6 acid pool

Post by WarpZone »

Six month late response, but what the heck :)
nullstar wrote:so I've now played level 6 twice (...) I'm curious from those who use something other than 2 how you get through this area. (Also interested in hearing how anyone does it with less than a full set of options and/or regular shot.)
If you're referring to the part where the screen scrolls up/right, what I often do is clear out enemies below an ooze pool quickly, and then let my options "drift" up into the pool as the screen scrolls. As long as I do this early enough, it should clear out most of the ooze, making the passage much safer. I suppose Type 2 people can just play hard in the narrow tunnel and force their way up, but it seems riskier to me.

With less than full options/power-ups, the rank lowers enough so that it's easier just to squeeze up the tunnels. With some practice it isn't difficult to have all 4 options when you get here (due to many power-ups in 6-1 and 6-3). Still, this is almost the worst section of the game to run into the option hunter.
nullstar wrote:Also, does anyone else find that the background and foreground blend too much visually on some levels? I'm thinking of the asteroid field most of all but also several of the others. (Not to mention the perspective problems brought about when some of those platforms appear to be colliding but are not due to the perspective, and I crash...)

I've never had this problem. One thing to notice is that most of the texture maps in the game have a line painted over them right at the point where the 2D playing field intersects the 3D world. As long as I'm watching where that line is, I know how close I can get. I guess I found it all intuitive after a while.
AOTD3025

Post by AOTD3025 »

MovingTarget wrote:Just wondering what weapon edits people find the most effective?

I use an old Gradius III configuration:

Two-way Missile - Tail Gun - Pulse Laser - Force Field, with Type 1 option

-AOTD3025
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

I dont know whether it was that I had 2 instead of 4 options, or no missiles... But in stage 4 I noticed a big difference in the speed of the green blobs that spout from the enemy that explodes in a shower of green blobs when you kill it.

So I'm assuming either the number of options, or if you have missiles, greatly affects rank. I can only see this being usefull for type 2( the other types i would have thought to be at a much greater disadvantage with fewer options). Could it be worth playing through the game with no missiles/2 options until the later stages for this reason?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Pretty much every Gradius game (to the best of my knowledge) works with the mantra of "the more power ups you have, the harder it gets," so methinks it basically depends on whether you find certain areas easier to handle due to the decreased difficulty, despite the weaker weapons, or not. Experiment and see what works for you.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

It really gets easier when u die in a level, so its not as many trouble around there ( only concerning the level where u died).
maybe this is the reason why i often clear the boss 1 stage 7 because i died in the speed stage :roll:
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I've gotten into GV again and use Type 1 as before. Now however, I'll use 3 options (not 4) and no missiles.

Rank seems to increase somewhat (albeit maybe slower) even if you don't use missiles or 4 options. I 1-lifed it up to the 3rd boss, and this SOB started going ape shit with the plasma grenades. After losing a life to one of these, I noticed the boss's fire rate on this weapon decreasing markedly.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

gameoverDude wrote:I've gotten into GV again and use Type 1 as before. Now however, I'll use 3 options (not 4) and no missiles.

Rank seems to increase somewhat (albeit maybe slower) even if you don't use missiles or 4 options. I 1-lifed it up to the 3rd boss, and this SOB started going ape shit with the plasma grenades. After losing a life to one of these, I noticed the boss's fire rate on this weapon decreasing markedly.
Of course youll automatically get less points using this strat.
So it doesnt really make sense. The best way to make the game is still training
:wink:
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

I'm having a Lot of difficulty on stage 4 starting around 4-3 to 4-4. Particularly with the regenerating pink crap... anyone got tips for that?
I use type 1 by the way.

EDIT:

Oh never mind I found http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... ht=gradius

But... I figured there was something better to do than "keep shooting and stay on the far right of the screen" :? :roll:

Is that really the only thing possible to do at that part?
kengou

Post by kengou »

I still can't figure out the regenerating shit. I only got to it by massive credit-feeding, I'm pretty noob. It's a great game for introducing non-shmupping friends to the genre though, I have some friends who never play any shmups but they love to co-op Gradius V. We steal each other's option ghosts and powerups, it's wicked fun.

I like all the option types except 3, it feels like I have so little control over the options compared to the other 3 types. They don't follow you around and I just don't like that :P