Anyone with Game Maker shmup knowledge?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Andy 5

Anyone with Game Maker shmup knowledge?

Post by Andy 5 »

I'd love to make a shmup, and I have several GM6 files I've started on, but I dunno where to go from here. Making a simple vertical shmup akin to Raiden or Blue Hawk should be sufficient. Is anyone interested in giving advice, collaborating, or otherwise sharing knowledge of making shmups with Game Maker? If you couldn't tell by the way, I have Game Maker 6.

My biggest idea (and I guess it could sort of be considered a shmup) is to make a super high-quality game in Game Maker that plays like a run 'n gun game...you know, like Contra or Metal Slug. I notice the reviews for Contra: Hard Corps and Alien Soldier are on this website, so does that make run 'n guns a type of shmup? Any run 'n gun knowledge, or even better, spriters?

Here are some links to my works in progress. Both the shmup and the run 'n gun are available in both .EXE and .GM6 formats.

The music is in MIDI format. I made the songs used in both games.

Run 'N Gun game

Very glitchy. Don't expect anything fantastic. Use arrow keys to move, A to fire, and S to jump. you can shoot left, right and up. (ideally you should shoot in 8 directions like in any decent run 'n gun.) Enemies have a tendency to get themselves stuck in walls.

Click here for the .EXE version

Click here for the .GM6 version

Shmup game

Your ship is invincible...I'll correct that later. Blow up endless hoards of non-threatening flashing orbs! I also figured out how to enable smart bombs...but nothing is displayed for your number of bombs.

Click here for the .EXE version

Click here for the .GM6 version
And no pickles! Oh god help you if I find pickles!
-Stewie Griffin
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

First.. no, Contra and alikes are no shmups.

Second, I can give some help regarding Game Maker. Though they have an oficial forum which is very helpful most of the time.
Andy 5

Post by Andy 5 »

You mean the Game Maker Community forums? Yeah, I've used those before...they're moderately helpful, but they seem to be intolerant of newcomers. What Game Maker knowledge do you have?
And no pickles! Oh god help you if I find pickles!
-Stewie Griffin
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Well.. I've made 2 games with it, have worked in one that I quit because the idea wasn't good, and have other 2 in development. (One that I've been working for like.. I don't know, FOUR years now.. goddamn)

And I don't think they are intolerant with newcomers. I've seen people answering questions that could be easily answered if the guy had just checked the help file without any complains...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Shatterhand wrote:(One that I've been working for like.. I don't know, FOUR years now.. goddamn)
When it's finished ...one day, it's gonna be so awesome that it was worth the wait. :wink: