R-Type Delta on PSN Store

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cody

R-Type Delta on PSN Store

Post by cody »

Dunno if this has been brought up already (r-types has been on there a while), but Delta is now also available for puchase on the JPN playstation network store. 600 yen, not too shabby.

wirecard.com seems to work for payment to get around the issue of having a credit card witha japanese billing address; I was able to purchase r-types successfully and am playing it now, no problems with region issues on a US ps3
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

Neat.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Considering the original R-Type is 800 Wii points (converts to 800 yen?) that's quite the steal, Nintendo should really consider their pricing situation.
That is Galactic Dancing
kengou

Post by kengou »

wait... people own PS3s? :roll:

But seriously, it is a better deal than the VC, and we all probably realize the VC is overpriced as it is.
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

The Wii's R-Type was a bit pricey for a TG-16 game. But, that didn't stop me from getting it. :lol:

What urks me about the Wii's downloads is that you can't download games from different regions. If we could, I'd be playing Air Zonk right now. Glad to see that Sony's allowing it -- sort of allowing it anyway.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

well.. concidering all other rtypes < delta thats quite a bargain.

in fact all other horis < delta, its the pinnacle of a genre not just a series!
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
sfried

Post by sfried »

Asherdude wrote:What urks me about the Wii's downloads is that you can't download games from different regions. If we could, I'd be playing Air Zonk right now. Glad to see that Sony's allowing it -- sort of allowing it anyway.
Oh, but you can get different games from different regions! There's a trick: Try changing your language settings to Japanese. That should get you to shop at the Japanese Wii Store Channel instead.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

sfried wrote:
Asherdude wrote:What urks me about the Wii's downloads is that you can't download games from different regions. If we could, I'd be playing Air Zonk right now. Glad to see that Sony's allowing it -- sort of allowing it anyway.
Oh, but you can get different games from different regions! There's a trick: Try changing your language settings to Japanese. That should get you to shop at the Japanese Wii Store Channel instead.
My Wii is NA region and doesn't have an option to change to Japanese in either country nor language.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

All the games available on the PSN store will be soon playable on PSP too, right?
X - P - B
szycag

Post by szycag »

Turrican, pretty sure they always have been. I think only recently have you been able to play them on your PS3 actually.
That is Galactic Dancing
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

szycag wrote:Turrican, pretty sure they always have been. I think only recently have you been able to play them on your PS3 actually.
Oops, you're correct. But, is the same download playable on both PSP and PS3, or are there separate downloads for each system?
X - P - B
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

sfried wrote:Oh, but you can get different games from different regions! There's a trick: Try changing your language settings to Japanese. That should get you to shop at the Japanese Wii Store Channel instead.
That trick was only useful for downloading PCE games on Australian Wiis (and it's my understanding this loophole has long since been closed.) EDIT: apparently not closed entirely, but discouraged: changing regions resets your Wii points to 0.

NA Wiis were never able to select Japan as a region.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szycag

Post by szycag »

I would assume so... checked the wiki entry on Playstation Network but it wasn't entirely clear. Haven't used the service myself. At the very worst it probably only lets you keep it on either your PS3 or PSP at any given time and not both.
That is Galactic Dancing
system11

Post by system11 »

Is the PSN store global, and is Delta available in Europe in 60hz revision? Does the PS3 offer polygon smoothing as the older PS2 did? (this works wonders on Delta). Delta really is the best in the series.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Ceph

Re: R-Type Delta on PSN Store

Post by Ceph »

cody wrote: wirecard.com seems to work for payment to get around the issue of having a credit card witha japanese billing address
Could you please elaborate on this? How is wirecard different from a regular credit card?
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

bloodflowers wrote:Is the PSN store global, and is Delta available in Europe in 60hz revision? Does the PS3 offer polygon smoothing as the older PS2 did? (this works wonders on Delta). Delta really is the best in the series.
No. The store has at least three "regions", maybe four.

1. Japanese
- all the best stuff
- psx-shmups (Raiden, R-Types, R-Type Delta...)
- the Hong Kong store is almost the same but in English and gets stuff later (?)

2. American
- good stuff
- psx-games, non-shmups

3. Europe
- usually gets everything last
- no psx games

It is possible to browse all the stores by creating new master accounts and registering them to bogus addresses in the target region, but I haven't yet dared to try registering my credit card to the US/Japan stores, because I don't want to end up blacklisted or something.

That wirecard service seems suspicious, I think I'll wait a while before taking that option...

At least one PSN-item seems to be somehow (intentionally or not) region locked: the Def Jam Icon demo from the US store doesn't work in a euro-PS3.

My original R-Type Delta got stolen years ago and I have a great urge to play it now :(
Last edited by Shocky on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before Pope John Paul died he decreed that Aliens were also GOD's creatures and we should treat them with respect.

Ceph

Post by Ceph »

So if I bought R-Type Delta from PSN Japan I could play it with a European PS3. Yet my original Japanese PS1 R-Type Delta won't run in a Euro-PS3 because PS1 games are still region locked? Let's say it together:

BULL-SHIT!
cody

Post by cody »

About the wirecard thing - I promise i'm not trying to pimp them, I had just read on a another forum that using their service worked on the JPN store, and wanted to report that in fact it does.

As for why its different, my main concern is you don't have to try and register your actual credit card with the foreign version of the psn store. I'm not sure why the address check doesnt apply to it.

If you go the wirecard route, I'd advise depositing $20 into the wirecard rather than the minimum $15, because the JPN psn store seems to work in multiples of 1000 yen for small purchases, and 2000 yen is about $18.30. This'll get you 3 games rather than just 1 from the minimum $15 deposit.

I dont have a psp to test, but given that you can usually have a single ps3 download active on up to 5 ps3s, i'd be really surprised if you couldn't use the same download on both your ps3 and psp.
lupin23rd

Post by lupin23rd »

FYI guys, Playstation Network cards are available in Japan. If you can get someone to send you one (or just send the number), you can punch that in and download games from the Japanese store.

I'm going to be getting one game soon, and was going to make it a 2d fighter, but the following are available:

- Raiden
- R-TypeS
- R-Tpe Delta

I guess Delta is the best from comments on this thread?

m
Danny

Post by Danny »

Ceph wrote:So if I bought R-Type Delta from PSN Japan I could play it with a European PS3. Yet my original Japanese PS1 R-Type Delta won't run in a Euro-PS3 because PS1 games are still region locked? Let's say it together:

BULL-SHIT!
That's me not buying a PS3 then heh. Seriously I think I'll just make my own for my PSP instead. Sony have just lost another customer...
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

lupin23rd wrote:FYI guys, Playstation Network cards are available in Japan. If you can get someone to send you one (or just send the number), you can punch that in and download games from the Japanese store.

I'm going to be getting one game soon, and was going to make it a 2d fighter, but the following are available:

- Raiden
- R-TypeS
- R-Tpe Delta

m
You can't go wrong with any of those.
cody

Post by cody »

lupin23rd wrote: - Raiden
- R-TypeS
- R-Tpe Delta

m
I personally think r-type holds up better than Delta, both graphically and gameplay-wise.

OT, I don't really understand the complaints about region coding - isn't it a step forward that ps3 software is effectively region-free? When's the last time that was true of a console?
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

cody wrote: OT, I don't really understand the complaints about region coding - isn't it a step forward that ps3 software is effectively region-free? When's the last time that was true of a console?
The 3DO was the last region free console. But the Gameboy/DS line has always been region free. You know, I can't think of a single logical reason why the consoles should have it but not the handhelds.
MadScientist

Post by MadScientist »

R-Type Delta gets rated for the Euro PSN store;

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id ... type+delta
You cannot stop me with Paramecium alone!
Erik

Post by Erik »

[/quote]
I personally think r-type holds up better than Delta, both graphically and gameplay-wise.[/quote]

I own R-Types, R-Type Delta and R-Type Final on the PS and personally I like all of them.
Yesterday I placed R-Type I again and really enjoyed the pure gameplay and the cool levels. I cruised all to level 6 without dying (on normal, don't tell anyone) and then died about a milion times. But it didn't frustrate me.
R-Type II is also still cool, although I would say it does not beat the original. Delta is the best graphics wise in my opinion, the levels are also interesting and the extra choice of ships is interesting. The return of the old bosses in levels 5 and 6 are also neatly done.
I had very high expectations of Final, but it was a bit of a letdown. Maybe it is the level design, or the extreme slowdown in some parts. Personally I also do not need 100 ships, certainly not using all of them. But, I can consider myself as a fan of the series, so I enjoy it anyway. I would conside R-Type I and Delta to be the best from the series, if I had to chose.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

MadScientist wrote:R-Type Delta gets rated for the Euro PSN store;

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id ... type+delta
Good. Maybe it will finally be released in the US PSN store. I've been holding off purchasing any other games in hopes that it would be released over here.

The nice thing about PS1 games on the PSP....they display fullscreen on a non-HD CRT through the component cable. ...unlike every other type of game.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Ceph wrote:So if I bought R-Type Delta from PSN Japan I could play it with a European PS3. Yet my original Japanese PS1 R-Type Delta won't run in a Euro-PS3 because PS1 games are still region locked? Let's say it together:

BULL-SHIT!
Unless they've changed things (which I'm pretty sure they haven't), if you have a PS1 -disc- that's not of the right region it won't work, but if you buy something off another country's PSN store, it -will- work. I have purchased a couple PS1 games from the Japanese store for my American PS3 and they work fine. The trouble is getting a point card for the other store, as you can't use a credit card directly.

This is important, because the PS1 game selection in the US PSN store is laughably awful.
"Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that people start declaring a game is overrated before it's even out? "
"You're at shmups.com. We're all psychics full of righteous indignation!"
indutrial

Post by indutrial »

Cthulhu wrote: This is important, because the PS1 game selection in the US PSN store is laughably awful.
I've read that the issues stem from a shit-ton of licensing/legal problems that arise once the gaming companies start talking about reissuing stuff in the States. Having rights to things like the game's music falls into paperwork hell and can easily hamstrung a potential reissue when it's not a one-stop-shop deal like it is in Japan. The way IP law operates is a complete nightmare sometimes.

I heard that UN Squadron/Area 88 will likely never be seen on the Virtual Console because the characters are based on some anime thing that Capcom would have to re-activate the license for. That's a shame considering the high regard that game receives from SNES fans.

The snail-pace of the PS Network's implementation of the PSOne Classics store in the States is one of the biggest reasons I've had for continuing to ignore the PS3, and I'd been an avid Sony fan for years.

R-Type Delta is one of my favorites and certainly my favorite of that series. My second favorite is a toss-up between II (the arcade version, not SNES's checkpoint-free 'Super' version) and III: Third Lightning (the SNES one, not the GBA port!). I have a copy of Final, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Asherdude wrote:
cody wrote: You know, I can't think of a single logical reason why the consoles should have it but not the handhelds.
Cuz, huh, it's... heavy? :o
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

EXELLENTE'...now release LEO!!!!
Fight Like A Robot!