Tv-Capture Card

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
JJG

Tv-Capture Card

Post by JJG »

I'm piecing together a new PC and I'm looking for a good tv-capture card. I'm looking to do video reviews of games for my site and I need something that will do a good job of recording games off my tv. Anyone have any suggestions for a good card that will get the job done?
Squirrel

Re: Tv-Capture Card

Post by Squirrel »

JJG wrote:I'm piecing together a new PC and I'm looking for a good tv-capture card. I'm looking to do video reviews of games for my site and I need something that will do a good job of recording games off my tv. Anyone have any suggestions for a good card that will get the job done?
If you are looking to play on the computer itself, then get a software encoded capture card, aka, anyting around $50. If you want high quality stuff, its best to hit record on the computer, split the video, and play it on your tv. Then you can get the hardware encoded cards, the Happauge WinTV 150 and 250's are awesome for that.
JJG

Post by JJG »

Yeah this will all be stuff played on my tv, I don't want to record emulated games. I'll look into the wintv cards, thanks.
Danny

Post by Danny »

What you want mate is a gamebridge!

Ebay Link

It's cheap and effective and it can record anything that uses s-video or 3-phone cables as long as you plug it to a USB port. Also you can watch what you are recording on the computer monitor so you can play and record at the same time and it records in a DivX format as well (high quality!). If you are lucky you can pick one up for roughly $10 although the average price is roughly $15.

I use the 1400 model to record my new video game review show, it's fantastic. (the device not the show... har! har! har! :lol:)

edit: Oh by the way don't be put off when people say "FOR XBOX" on the product, all gamebridges work will anything that has a 3-phone or s-video cable going out of it! :)
Last edited by Danny on Wed May 16, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJG

Post by JJG »

Thanks I'll definitely check this out.

I was inspired to do game review videos when I saw those drunken youtube videos. I was like "I can do that........better!"
undamned

Post by undamned »

Danny wrote:If you are lucky you can pick one up for roughly $10...
Just nabbed one for $9.20 shipped ;)

Thanks for the rec! If I remember, I'll post my impressions here...
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

A word of warning: Apparently there are two versions of Gamebridge, one for NTSC (which can only use real NTSC) and one for PAL (which can only use real PAL). The PAL version does NOT support PAL-60, that means you can't record anything in 60Hz mode. That makes it pretty much useless for European gamers. Searching the internet, I have also come across complaints about poor audio quality and possible lag. Last but not least, Adaptec's customer support appears to be horrible.
JJG

Post by JJG »

I guess I'll check it out for 10-15 bucks and see the quality. It can't be worse than someone recording their tv with a camcorder.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Ceph wrote:A word of warning: Apparently there are two versions of Gamebridge, one for NTSC (which can only use real NTSC) and one for PAL (which can only use real PAL). The PAL version does NOT support PAL-60, that means you can't record anything in 60Hz mode. That makes it pretty much useless for European gamers. Searching the internet, I have also come across complaints about poor audio quality and possible lag. Last but not least, Adaptec's customer support appears to be horrible.
With the device I got the PAL 60 hrz thing is true (i.e I does not do it!) but then again it does NSTC 60 hrz which is what most last gen (PS2 etc) games use anyway. The lag and audio thing I've not noticed in all honesty.

Might be considered a shameless plug here but if you want some idea what the recording quality is like I've posted some reveiws on youtube recently. Check out the CvS2 and World Poker 2 reviews as they were recorded with the device in question but is not the best of quailty thanks to makinmg the video in WMM and the youtube restrictions and also me recording the game in 50hrz :lol:

To be honest in my opinion there is really not that much to complain about. If anyone can name another way to cheaply record stuff off the TV for $10 that's as easy as this then I'll tip my hat to you. Fact is that this is a cheap TV capture card, if you want the best quality then go for a more exspensive card but if you just want to record stuff then this is for you.
JJG

Post by JJG »

I think the real test would be to record Burnout Revenge, that might be the first thing I do.

I checked out one of your reviews and the quality really isn't bad as far as lag or anything.
Danny

Post by Danny »

JJG wrote:I think the real test would be to record Burnout Revenge, that might be the first thing I do.

I checked out one of your reviews and the quality really isn't bad as far as lag or anything.
Yeah the lag is spot on. The only thing about those vids are the boarders (a PAL problem) and that they are blured slightly due to me having to drop the resosultion size down and quality of the video. I've got DVD qauilty versions of the same movies which I'll post on my new website when it's up.

I'll br doing some Shmup reviews using this capture device hopfuly soon.
icepick

Post by icepick »

For USD 10.00-15.00, I'd say that looks pretty good. 8)

Thanks to the original poster and Danny for all of this, I'm going to be taking a look at this product. Thanks also for the warnings Ceph, it's nice to hear the possible downsides to such an interesting product; I mean, I was looking at the Matrox RT products (USD 1000.00~2000.00) and it's my understanding that those are sort of considered as "entry level" video capture devices, so... as long as this "GameBridge" records video as well as a regular sub sandwich with chips and a drink, then it could be good!

(I'm not saying that they've both meant for the same purpose, but that I could get either a sandwich or this device with the funds.)

This thing is two years old? I wonder why I never noticed it before... also, I was thinking that I'd use a splitter (or video-out of a VCR/TV) to send output to this device while playing on an actual TV. If it actually works well enough as advertised, though, then I could see it being a pretty useful addition to anyone's PC toolkit.

(Edit- Apparently can give your CPU a full workout, and doesn't work in GNU/Linux, yet. I'm still looking into it, but I wanted to mention that.)

Off-topic; Danny, I rather enjoyed those reviews! I look forward to taking in some shmup reviews as soon as you get the chance. :wink:
\\ /\/\ \