Anyone ever have their Dreamcast just reset on them?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
landshark

Anyone ever have their Dreamcast just reset on them?

Post by landshark »

It happened tonight while playing BangaiO the thing all of a sudden went to the Dreamcast menu. Is this a crash or is something wrong?
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Ozymandiaz1260

Re: Anyone ever have their Dreamcast just reset on them?

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

landshark wrote:Is this a crash or is something wrong?
:?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Could be one of the controllers. 3rd party controllers and rumble packs can cause resets, and eventually blow the controller port, especially if you unplug/plug them in while the unit is on.
D

Post by D »

This has happened to a friend of mine.
Now, whenever he turns the unit on it's a matter of time before the dreamcast resets. Like the lid is open, so maybe it's just a contact there.
He did use a third party controller, one that has a similar shape of the original one. I'll have to operate on it sometimes.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

It's a very common problem with Dreamcasts and happened to one of mine. It's usually a problem with the connections between the power supply and the motherboard. An easy fix, there should be plenty of guides if you search for Dreamcast reset on google.
D

Post by D »

theevilfunkster wrote:It's a very common problem with Dreamcasts and happened to one of mine. It's usually a problem with the connections between the power supply and the motherboard. An easy fix, there should be plenty of guides if you search for Dreamcast reset on google.
Thanks,
Are you great?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Never had any issues with mine and its a 1st gen machine.

I would definately hazard a guess thats its 3rd party peripherals.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I can comfrim that it's a power board problem, in other words you DC is seriously concking out big time. Early Dreamcasts are espeicaly notorious for having really dodgey power boards. When heavly used they tend to get quite hot and evetualy deterate till you get the blasted thing reseting on you a lot. Eventualy it will stop powering up all togther and your Dreamcast will become nothing more than a glorfied paperweight unless you are good with technical repairs then you might be able to bring it back to life again. (as someone in this post mentioned before google is your friend!)

I have had two DC's die on me this way but luckly my new one is fairly modern model so I've not had any problems with it so far *fingers crossed*...

p.s: Sorry if this post makes me sound like I am a complete doom monger but I've been there before. I share you pain.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I must be lucky then.

The 1st gen machines were water cooled iirc.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
thechop

Re: Anyone ever have their Dreamcast just reset on them?

Post by thechop »

oops wrong link :oops:
antron

Post by antron »

I had a problem with constant resetting. I tried cleaning/bending the power supply connections but that didn't work. It ended up being the lid switch. I don't know why it would wait until it was heavily reading the disc to reset, but it did. When I bypassed the switch the problem never came back. The switch is some kind of mechanical slider, and could have dust or lint in it. In my case I had damaged it long ago reassembling it after bypassing the controller power fuse (had been blown by previous owner).

this is the page that got me going again:
http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamcast ... lid_switch
landshark

Post by landshark »

Damnit.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll give some of these fixes a try.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
thechop

Post by thechop »

antron wrote:I had a problem with constant resetting. I tried cleaning/bending the power supply connections but that didn't work. It ended up being the lid switch. I don't know why it would wait until it was heavily reading the disc to reset, but it did. When I bypassed the switch the problem never came back. The switch is some kind of mechanical slider, and could have dust or lint in it. In my case I had damaged it long ago reassembling it after bypassing the controller power fuse (had been blown by previous owner).

this is the page that got me going again:
http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamcast ... lid_switch
Phew!! saved my bacon that was the link i was trying to post and for some reason it wouldn't work anymore.Got it again now ,cheers :wink:
antron

Post by antron »

landshark wrote:Damnit.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll give some of these fixes a try.
maybe just try some canned air back in that corner
landshark

Post by landshark »

I tried the lid-switch fix and the power header fix. I played for about 1 or 2 hours today and it didn't reboot. Maybe that fixed it?

Thanks again guys.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I had to do the power board fix recently due to random resets. It seems to have sorted the problem out for every game except Ecco. That's one of the few DC games I bought used and it has a few light scratches. DC games seem to be a lot more susceptible to performance deteriation due to scratches compared to other systems. When I first bought it, the game worked fine. More recently it would consistently reset while loading level two. After using a drop of CD cleaning fluid on it, now it doesn't load at all :?