GD: Giga Wing

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Rob

GD: Giga Wing

Post by Rob »

Alright, let's talk about Giga Wing.

-The 1up. How exactly is this obtained? Every time I try to destroy all of the outer orbs and then the red orb. This consistently reveals the large medals, but not the 1up (even if I've died).

-Does anyone know if it's possible to destroy all of the enemies on stage 1 (for example) without any bombs (question specifically for Ruby and her straight shot)? The most I've seemed to manage is about 86%...

-Can the train be guided or is it just fairly random? It seems to do what I want about half of the time.

-What are the calculations for the end of stage bonuses? Does the boss timer figure into it at all?

Well that's a start if anyone can answer those. Or ignore them and talk about something else Giga Wing!
TVG

Re: GD: Giga Wing

Post by TVG »

Rob wrote:Alright, let's talk about Giga Wing.

-The 1up. How exactly is this obtained? Every time I try to destroy all of the outer orbs and then the red orb. This consistently reveals the large medals, but not the 1up (even if I've died).

-Does anyone know if it's possible to destroy all of the enemies on stage 1 (for example) without any bombs (question specifically for Ruby and her straight shot)? The most I've seemed to manage is about 86%...

-Can the train be guided or is it just fairly random? It seems to do what I want about half of the time.

-What are the calculations for the end of stage bonuses? Does the boss timer figure into it at all?

Well that's a start if anyone can answer those. Or ignore them and talk about something else Giga Wing!
edited due to innacuracy.
Last edited by TVG on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The vagrant wrote:i think it's very hard or next to impossible to destroy all ennemies even on stage 1, moreso without sacrificing medal collecting.
Yeah, I'm just questioning the level designs a bit. I think it's kind of weird to offer a decent bonus at the end of the level when upping it conflicts directly with the goal of collecting medals. It seems the optimal path (that I know of) requires avoiding some enemies, since I can't manage to be all over the screen. And sometimes they just seem to be distributed in impossible widths to cover, when those enemies swoop in formations at the beginning and end of level 1.
for the train, its a bit random and kinda hard to milk it as you want to, with ruby again, what i do is destroy two blocks on the right side and go directly to the left side (trains wont shoot if you're near them)...
This sounds like what I try to do too, destroying 2 on the right and then moving left. It's just sometimes the bastard train on the left doesn't move up enough and I'm either forced to cut the train in half or keep at the right side. I usually end up with 1,000-1,500 medals for the stage by the end of it. 1,000 or less if I get really unlucky.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rob wrote:-The 1up. How exactly is this obtained? Every time I try to destroy all of the outer orbs and then the red orb. This consistently reveals the large medals, but not the 1up (even if I've died).!
I vaguely remember reading two possibilities someplace: one of them said that to get the 1up to appear you have to destroy the large tank that appears shortly before the orbs very quickly, and then do the "destroy the outer ones first" bit...not sure if using a bomb or the like would negate it. Another said to watch the order in which the outer orbs flash, and destroy them in that order before cracking open the center one.

I think they went something like that...I'm not sure if either one is correct, but maybe if you fiddled around with them you'd find something.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

There are parts in the game where there are medals just pouring out, but I am not sure how to trigger them:

-The part after the trains, with the mirror object on the left side.

-Stage four - the hut thing on the right side of the screen, before the big tank and the orbs.

-Stage four - that hole/cave? in the middle where little star/medals just keep pouring out.

I have no idea how to trigger them. Any ideas?

And that submarine in the lava boss is a bitch(Isha's stage one).
Rob

Post by Rob »

IlMrm wrote:-The part after the trains, with the mirror object on the left side.
Destroy all of the parts on that "base" structure, including the central structure. I destroy all of the small bits first and then the center part, but I'm not sure if order matters or if you even have to destroy them all. I just do it that way and it works.
-Stage four - the hut thing on the right side of the screen, before the big tank and the orbs.
I think you just have to destroy the hut, right?
-Stage four - that hole/cave? in the middle where little star/medals just keep pouring out.
There are destructible objects to the left and right of the opening that you have to destroy (they release +5 medals). It starts as soon as they're both destroyed, and the duration of the medal pour ends as the screen is just about to pass it, so the sooner the better on this one.

To fill out this subject, some other semi-hiddenmedals:

Ruby level 1/"sky base" - Hard to describe this one without a screenshot, but the part before the base ends and the sky/cloud section begins, destroying a cap to the left turns the turrets into mid-sized medals (about 6-8 of them).

Ruby level 3/lava - Those stationary gun boxes. Destroying them while kind of hovering over them near the bottom of the screen makes a mid-sized medal appear from the top of the screen.

Level 4 - Those glorious +100 medals everyone knows about.

Is that all? There has to be something on stage 5.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Rob wrote: Ruby level 1/"sky base" - Hard to describe this one without a screenshot, but the part before the base ends and the sky/cloud section begins, destroying a cap to the left turns the turrets into mid-sized medals (about 6-8 of them).
Yeah, it's on the left side of the screen and just after a wave of flying wing enemies after the orangey-red tank (part of which also gives you a mid-sized medal).

In the train stage (stage 2 for Stuck and Ruby), the first and last wagons of the trains at the very beginning of the stage give you mid-sized medals. The trick is to get both, as blowing up the first wagon stops the train.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Thanks for the info Rob.
Rob wrote:I think you just have to destroy the hut, right?
Yep, you are right. At first I thought it must be something else since all the medals started pouring out.

It sucks when it seems every part of a boss is destroyed, only to find out that it's only 97% or 95%. If only there were a % on display when fighting a boss to show how many % are destroyed.
BER

Post by BER »

Rob wrote:-What are the calculations for the end of stage bonuses? Does the boss timer figure into it at all?
You'll see that the boss time indeed figures into the stage clear bonus--the boss break bonus, in partciular.

Now, let the hit percentage x% be the value x/100. The stage clear bonuses are calculated as follows:
  • Boss break: 1,000 * current multiplier * boss hit percentage * time remaining * stage number. (Notes: First, if your boss hit percentage is 100%, then this bonus is doubled. Second, in stage 7, the time remaining is always 1.)
  • Shoot down: 10,000 * current multiplier * stage hit percentage * stage number. (Note: If your stage hit percentage is 100%, then this bonus is doubled.)
  • Bomb reserve: 10,000 * current multiplier * number of remaining bombs * stage number.
Reference: http://www.bellcity.ne.jp/~wild7/game/g ... giga0.html
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
BER

Post by BER »

Rob wrote:Ruby level 1/"sky base" - Hard to describe this one without a screenshot, but the part before the base ends and the sky/cloud section begins, destroying a cap to the left turns the turrets into mid-sized medals (about 6-8 of them).
Right. In fact, you release a +20 medal for every turret still alive and on-screen, so you can always get up to 8 medals here.
Rob wrote:Is that all? There has to be something on stage 5.
There are no secrets in this stage.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

By pressing Start, button 1 or button 2 at the selection screen, your ship changes colour. Is it just a cosmetic thing?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks BER.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Carrying on the Stranger discussion in the hs thread...

Final pattern is a pain. I've only been able to finish this stage with using a bomb on that final pattern, but at least we finally get some real slowdown.

I've also been having a bit of trouble with the second to last patterns, but this seems much more manageable with a decent plan (btw, isn't there a pattern near the end of level 7 in GW2 almost exactly like this?). I mapped it and it takes the same route every time. Once it starts moving around I try to move from the bottom center to the bottom left, dodging a few rounds of bullets. Then charge, reflect, dodge a few scattered rounds and repeat. I try to basically keep shooting at it in line with the 2nd, 4th, and 8th stopping points and reflect over it when it hits the 4th, 6th and/or 8th points. Kind of sloppy in execution right now.

For the final pattern it moves slowly from the left to the right. I try to delay the first reflect as long as I can, staying in the bottom right corner, so that when I reflect and move towards the ship I can retreat to the lower left corner and have a fraction of a chance to dodge this stuff. If I actually survived to this point in a real game I'd use a bomb, but that's probably the best way to survive with dodging. One more reflect and it breaks the pattern on the right side. I try to do the same strategy as it moves back to the left side.

Basically :x
TVG

Post by TVG »

ok due to not having played the game in a longwhile before posting this, what i said was innacurate. destroying 2 blocks of the right just doesnt work, what i used to do was destroying three, then destroying ALL those on the left, dont ask why, it just works much better.

but...as im typing thiss, a tought cross my mind, maybe it would be better to only destroy ONE of those on the right, then all those to the left? i gotta try tomorrow, and also edit my previous post (got to sleep now)
Neon

Post by Neon »

Randorama wrote:The earlier you die, the lower rank will increase.
So, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, is it advisable to suicide as early as you can in the first stage?

Also if anyone's figured out the 1 up bit Rob mentioned in the first post, please LMK, although I'm not very far in the game yet
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Neon wrote:Also if anyone's figured out the 1 up bit Rob mentioned in the first post, please LMK, although I'm not very far in the game yet
IIRC the 1-up will only appear if you're on your last life...not sure if the order you destroy the orbs in matters though (not like that matters anyways, as you'll want to get the uber-medals anyway).
Dale

Post by Dale »

I love this game with a passion but I friggin hate the hitbox what is it shaped like and how big is it? Because it really seems to confuse me.

Also Proffesor Ganson wanted some help with the Lava boss so I'll try my best to help out. The first in foremost thing to remeber when fighting the GW bosses is to never try to weave the bullets(Unless you haft to) the hitbox is kinda awkward so just steer clear of bullets till your sheild generates. Try to learn dodging methods that don't involve to much twitching learn percise timing on your sheild attacks make sure you do it at a point in a boss attack or bullet hell were you'll come out unschathed and with no heavy oposition make sure that you sheild mid attack so that by the time your damagable again you'll have went threw the next bullet hell. Also when looking at varios situation's try to focus on the gap between the enemy and you make sure your prepared for all fast attacks and have a good plan for slower one's. A tactic I tend to use is if you feel remotely pressured use a sheild or bomb because you know your gonna get more later(And some extra points to boot).

Now for the lava boss specifcly, try to focus on his smaller turrets first and just watch the bullet patterns and figure the easiest way to make it threw.When he does the targeting attack take it slow get good damage on him and check the other stuff he spray's. Try to move in sections during this attack go to one broad area were his target's aren't aiming then move to another try not to move spastically about just move from one generally safe area to another. And during any of his bullet spray's if you haft to weave make sure you dodge the first bullet then hold completly still(Although if you can move up)and the rest of the attack should go on by(for the first large spray anyway). I'll admit that this bastard still gets me sometimes so I may not have the most expert input on the matter but this is how I go about beating him when I do.

And as for what Rob was talking about earlier,I've no missed no bombed the first area a few times before. The trick is to use the sheild as an offensive weapon. When one of those mid size craft that shoot a large number of bullets to the side try to hit him with his own bullets after that you hit the enemy with your normal attack as soon as your sheild attack comes to a close. You can also destroy the smaller enemy craft with your sheild alone if you put it directly over them. Just stay as close to the center as you can and take major risks. Oh and do lot's of pointbreaking.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Excellent, thanks Dale. Your remarks in the first paragraph confirm my suspicion that Giga Wing is more about memorizing than twitch gameplay. Perhaps more so than Psikyo games, not sure. I'll try to put this strategy into practice this weekend, if I finally get a few free minutes. :evil: (very busy these days)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

professor ganson wrote:Your remarks in the first paragraph confirm my suspicion that Giga Wing is more about memorizing than twitch gameplay. Perhaps more so than Psikyo games, not sure.
Memorization's certainly a factor (as it is in most any shmup) but imo it's definitely not in the same league as Psikyo in that area. You've got a ways more wiggle room than most any Psikyo game gives you; it's really not quite as intimidating as it seems at first.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

I will disagree with the hitbox comment. It maybe a bit obscure but it certainly isn't as confusing as those games where the character sprite changes significantly when you move right or left e.g. ESP Rade. Also, the game never forces you to move through narrow paths (except probably the last pattern of stage-7 boss) so it is hardly an issue.