RQ: Chrissakes! How do I beat the DOJ second boss?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Never_Scurred

RQ: Chrissakes! How do I beat the DOJ second boss?

Post by Never_Scurred »

....without the hypers?
So far after a week of practice, I have only been able to make it the second boss without dying. The first boss patterns I can cope with even when he is pissed at me. But that second boss is making me angry. :evil: :evil: :evil: Everytime I try to move, I get caught on something and have to start over. Any tips on how to beat him with no hypers? I haven't gotten the chaining system down yet as I am only concentrating on playing for survival.

Edit* I fucked up...I meant only playing for survival, not score..... :oops: :?
Last edited by Never_Scurred on Tue May 08, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's a joke how the Xbox platform has caught shit for years for only having shooters, but now it's taken on an entirely different meaning."-somebody on NeoGAF
Watch me make Ketsui my bitch.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Hmmm... If a bullet looks like it's about to hit you, get out of its way. Try not to move into another bullet in the process, however.

... In all seriousness though, you should just be able to "wing-it" on the second boss after a bit of practice. It's the later bosses that start getting nasty, and I've never really messed around with them. I only played DOJ for about an hour when I first got it, and I could get to Chapter 3 pretty easy, but I think I only saw the Chapter 3 boss once. Chapter 3 makes me want to curl up in a corner and cry myself to sleep.

Actually... The stages are scarier than the bosses for me. At least up to the Stage 3 boss. Maybe the stage 4 boss is scarier than its respective stage, but I somehow doubt it -_^
Pirate1019

Re: Chrissakes! How do I beat the DOJ second boss?

Post by Pirate1019 »

Never_Scurred wrote:I haven't gotten the chaining system down yet as I am only concentrating on playing for score.
Don't those two things go hand in hand? :P

As for beating him, I have no idea. If I did have a way though, it would fit your criteria since I use the hyper you get at the beginning of the stage somewhere in the middle and seem to never get another one before the boss.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

Yeah it's a tough boss imo. I always had trouble with it and have no advice for you. Sorry!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Isn't it easier without hypers? If I use a hyper, sometimes I get smoked by a speeding fast bullet in a pattern that I could have dodged fairly easily had I not used a hyper.

There's only one slightly tricky pattern where a little wall comes at you... make sure you leave yourself a bit of room to move out of the way, otherwise a few more tries and you should be able to just wing it.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Don't play for score and use your bombs if you get trapped in a bullet pattern. You need to get past level 2 to see how hopeless things really are.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I'd agree. Forget score and just play for survival. Bomb alot.

The 2nd level boss is to me one of the more easier bosses. That level 3 boss is what gives me a hard time. Specifically the 2nd half.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

His first pattern shouldn't be too hard with practice (the blue stick bullets), I take it you're having trouble with the second form which then leads to the mass of spam at the end?

If you're having bother with the first wave of attacks, try to see them as 2 corridors of bullets crossing over rather than focussing on them as individual bullets. That should help you position yourself easier to miss them.

After all the blue stick attacks get to one side of the boss for when the vertical line of pink bullets come down and tap along to the other side of the boss and you should easily get through it. The spam after this is rather random so don't be afraid to bomb if it looks like you're getting trapped.
jpj

Post by jpj »

landshark wrote:Forget score and just play for survival.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

doj is a memory and reflexes game. if you learn things in a certain way, you will just end up repeating the same patterns as you continue to play.

i think you would enjoy the game more if you tried to learn some chaining routes and use hypers on the bosses. don't be put off if you can't get too far into it, it's a tought game. but if you are adamant this is how you want to play, you should switch your ship to A-S as it has the largest bomb stock, and type b is pretty slow compared to type a.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I've tried numerous times to chain. I just cannot do it. I always drop the chain and get frustrated. It's much more fun for me to just play it as a shooter.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
the allett

Post by the allett »

I can't chain for shit!! Only when i have 4-5 hypers then i get some chaining on the go!! I can clear the first loop easily with just using B-S but god my score its shit. I just play it for fun with no real concern for score other than getting the extends along the way!! I would much rather play Ketsui if going for score mechanics as it seems to me easier to get a score of the ground!
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

the allett wrote:I can't chain for shit!! Only when i have 4-5 hypers then i get some chaining on the go!! I can clear the first loop easily with just using B-S but god my score its shit. I just play it for fun with no real concern for score other than getting the extends along the way!! I would much rather play Ketsui if going for score mechanics as it seems to me easier to get a score of the ground!
I don't play for score and i get to stage 4, you need just to make your routes :) in which moment use hyper to clear out worst enemies etc. i find second boss easier than FIRST ONE! third seems easiest for me didn't get to fourth
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

well boss 1 and 2 are keeping me away of my 100million target.
at least either of them actually has just one attack thats pissing me off.
lets take the first boss, its last pattern where his options rotate is making me crazy, because luck still is a factor that pulls me throu that pattern, also when i slowly get used to it.
and the second boss is one of my main problems (actually the end of the level too, bacause i never hold the chain to get the last 2 bees).
its not only that the sometimes unfair patterns in the first part kill you, also the second part FORCES you to bomb. well mostly i die before anyway and that makes me suck the whole stage 3 at least, not to mention the boss there...
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

I heartily agree with the OP;

The 2nd boss is THE MOST IRRITATING THING IN THE GAME.

First boss, a pushover. 3rd boss, a pushover.

But the 2nd?

ARGH.

It's those little blue lasers that are the most trouble; when they're all spammed like that at the 2 different angles, that's the hardest to dodge.

Though, I've found that I've a much easier time dodging it if Im on the far left or right of the screen.

The other attack that can smack you fast, is that wierd looking one, it's like a long stick of blue lasers in the middle, and a wierd circular spread of more of them around that, with 2 big pink bullets; The pattern for some reason reminds me of clocks, so that's what I call it, the clock shot.

That one kept killing me over and over and over again, till I realized the simple way to dodge it; just move a little to the right each time. Moving too far to dodge makes that one hit you easier.

And the bosses 2nd half is MUCH less of a pain in the ass than the first part. When the boss changes forms, move over to the left side of it; as the "walls" come at you, move slowly to the right, passing between the larger spreads but avoiding those little blue compact ones entirely. And watch out for the lasers on the sides! Once you are in the middle of the screen during that attack, you wanna try to stay there; or those guns on the side will hit you quick.

After that, all a matter of dodging the 2 spam attacks; the pink one is real easy, the blue one CAN be a problem if you get trapped accidentally; just use a bomb to finish it if that happens.

That's my strategy for dealing with the danged thing. Took me forever to get to the point of killing it easily.....

Why is the 3rd boss so much easier than that thing?
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

-Bridget- wrote:
Why is the 3rd boss so much easier than that thing?
I have no idea what you're talking about. After I practiced the shit out of the second boss I didn't have much trouble beating him. The second form of the third boss almost always costs me a bomb (if I'm lucky) or a life.
A_Civilian

Post by A_Civilian »

Be sure those blue shots are going EXACTLY where you think they are...

I swear those things have some degree of homing to them (or it's just the "shot from an arc, moves in an wider than expected arc" principle).

Seriously, some of those bullets aren't even facing you and they can kill...Ever been hit in the front by a line before? Bad sprites...
BiQ

Post by BiQ »

About the blue spike bullets, sometimes I am 100% sure their hitbox is actually larger than the bullet sprite itself.

Anyways, I have found that I manage the 2nd boss' first pattern better if I make sure I'm not at the very bottom of the screen. That pattern gets infinitely easier if you learn to dodge through the holes in it, not only left-right. Second pattern is mostly bullet herding and memorization... and last part is just .... insane dodging with nerves of steel&ice. :P
qmish

Re: RQ: Chrissakes! How do I beat the DOJ second boss?

Post by qmish »

As i'm attempting DOJ again, i currently fell for this trap too.

Yes it's mostly those blue bullets in 1st phase - to be exact, one of variations of them. Nearly always getting killed with them. Some of those blue bullets are easier as they do look like corridors of bullets crossing each other, but main variaton of it is sick enough to fail finding a gap. So far only twice or smth managed to get through (both being at the bottom and more in the middle - at some point being in middle were like better way, but after playing again - not so).

oh and thats just first loop of BL :|