California Extreme '07 (August 11 - 12th)

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Dave_K.

California Extreme '07 (August 11 - 12th)

Post by Dave_K. »

Ok, the dates for America's largest classic arcade show has just been announced! Lets use this thread to track how many shmup.com members are planning to come out to San Jose during the hottest month of the year. :?
We are very pleased to officially announce the dates for this year's California Extreme Show. It will be held on August 11 - 12, 2007 at Parkside Hall in San Jose , California .

We will be meeting very soon to start lining up this year's seminars, guest speakers, and other arcade-themed events that make the show so much fun each year for our attendees. We already have in the works some new and unique events that we hope to finalize soon. Expect more announcements on that front in the near future.

Start making your plans, requesting time off work, making reservations by planes, trains, automobiles, and especially trucks to come out and join us for another crazy, arcade-filled weekend!

And be sure to let us know if you're interested in bringing games and/or volunteering to help us out by contacting us at info@caextreme.org. Both are most welcome (and can possibly be worth free admission and/or other goodies!).

Thanks to all of our previous exhibitors and volunteers. We hope we can count on you again, and if you've never brought games or volunteered before, why not give it a try this year? You'll have a great time!

More information and pictures from previous shows can be found at www.caextreme.org.

The Extreme Team
Alec

Post by Alec »

Thanks for the heads up. I've missed it the last few years, I've got to make an extra effort to check ot out this year.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I'm planning on going, probably on Sunday-- can't say yet what actually will happen :D
Humans, think about what you have done
PC Engine Fan X!

PC Engine Fan X! will be at 2007 CAX show for sure...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Dave K.,

I'll definitely be there for both days...the only time I ever missed attending the California Extreme shows were the 1997 and 2000 shows -- every year with the exception of those two particular years, I've attended them. ^_~

Yes, the downtown city of San Jose, CA, sure does get quite hot during the summertime, doesn't it? ^_~

A good chilling out with a nice big chocolate milk shake topped with a big mound of whipped cream & a marschino cherry from Peggy Sue's burger joint hits the spot for me when I go to the CAX show..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

any idea what's gonna be there? it sounds like another US-centric williams and midway - a thon

are my assumptions correct?

would be good to see you guys again, i've missed ya!!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

pixelcorps wrote:any idea what's gonna be there? it sounds like another US-centric williams and midway - a thon
Well thats to be expected, given where we live. Last year there were a couple strange japanese Namco cabs, one was an underwater lightgun shooter, and the other was a 2-player bumping/racing contest which was awsome. Of course tons of pinball machines.

For those who haven't been to it before, its worth at least a 1 day pass. I think of this more as an excuse to try and lure the greater shmup.com community to the bay area for a yearly get together. Doesn't sound like many are interested.
louisg

Post by louisg »

pixelcorps wrote:any idea what's gonna be there? it sounds like another US-centric williams and midway - a thon
Yeah, but it's games from the era when that stuff was good! =) There are interesting prototypes and unreleased games, too.

Last year they had that shooter party game-- the name escapes me right now.
Humans, think about what you have done
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

louisg wrote: Last year they had that shooter party game-- the name escapes me right now.
That would be Tenkomori Shooting. I've seen this game go for under $100 on YAJ recently, so might have to pick it up.
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=535&page=3#2524
PC Engine Fan X!

Ultra-rare USA Bios region Tenkomori Variety Shooting PCB

Dave_K. wrote:
louisg wrote: Last year they had that shooter party game-- the name escapes me right now.
That would be Tenkomori Shooting. I've seen this game go for under $100 on YAJ recently, so might have to pick it up.
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=535&page=3#2524
Actually, it's the ultra-rare USA Bios version that goes by the name of "Tenkomori Variety Shooting". It's housed in an upright arcade cabinet with an official USA Tenkomori Variety Shooting marquee sign...very cool piece of arcade shmup history. Unfortunately, it's not for sale since it belongs to two of the guys who are charge of setting up & running the California Extreme show.

My question is, exactly how many copies of this ultra-rare USA Bios Tenkomori Variety Shooting PCBs were produced by Namco of America subsidairy? It was never released through the American arcade distribution channels anyways. Could it be, possibly, a prototype USA Tenkomori PCB then? WTF!? o_0

If you watch the ending staff credits -- a Namco of America employee did handle the English translation of this particular Tenkomori Variety Shooting PCB. ^_~

The only real difference between this particular Tenkomori Variety Shooting PCB and it's original counterpart, the Japanese Bios version of "Tenkomori Shooting" (official title) PCB, is the exclusive all-English language wording through out the entire game. Other than that minor difference, they are both same game in terms of gameplay & graphics-wise. ^_~

It's a known fact that the original JPN Bios ver. of Tenkomori Shooting PCB got a very limited release in it's native country of Japan...and is a rare HTF shmup PCB in it's own right (but not as rare as the USA Bios ver). ^_~

I, personally, have never seen this ultra-rare USA Bios Tenkomori Variety Shooting cabinet anywhere else but at the California Extreme shows in 2002, 2004, 2005, and the latest 2006 CAX event..... ^_~

Wouldn't mind learning some more "inside information" about this mysterious USA Bios version Tenkomori PCB straight up from the two guys who own this unique shmup PCB/cabinet setup. ^_~

Several current shmuppers here on the board do own/play the more easily available JPN Bios version of Tenkomori Shooting PCB including myself... ^_~

And is it possible to convert such a JPN Bios Tenkomori PCB to a USA Bios region version by EPROM "chip" burning conversion? Still many unanswered Tenkomori PCB questions waiting to be solved..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
viper phase 1

Post by viper phase 1 »

i am down to go but i doubt they have any shmups an ther is no way i am lugging arcade cabs down to san jose to much work and having to whatch shady people that will try to deface your property
viper who? viper what? viper phase 1 thats whats up!
PC Engine Fan X!

viper phase 1 wrote:i am down to go but i doubt they have any shmups an ther is no way i am lugging arcade cabs down to san jose to much work and having to whatch shady people that will try to deface your property
For viper phase 1,

FYI, every year, there are always a handful of arcade shmup titles to play. Plus, people do treat such rare/classic arcade cabinets with respect. If one were to attempt to such a foolish thing, that's like asking to get yourself kicked out and not come back ever. There are rules that everyone must obey -- unless one wants to find out the "hard way". ^_~

Sure, I've seen some such arcade game rarities that just show up just for one day -- miss it and you might not see it ever again. Such arcade game rarities belong to private individuals who take pride in their arcade game collection. (Take for instance, the ultra-rare Cinematronics produced Cosmic Chasm arcade game that came out in 1983 which was presented in color vector-based graphics -- is based on the original Vectrex game of the same name that came out back in 1982...I've seen and played it -- was available to check out for just a single day at the 2004 and 2005 CAX shows.....) ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
datalogik

Post by datalogik »

Oh snap. I'm in Hayward. Hopefully I'll be free that day.