RQ: What sheilds/specials do you use in GIII?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
-Slayer-

RQ: What sheilds/specials do you use in GIII?

Post by -Slayer- »

I'm talking about the SNES version here (Don't have the Arcade version).

I usually go with Reduce and Full Sheild/Bomb. How about you?

I do this because the other sheild types make the Viper's hit box alot larger, and hence, don't have as much effect. Reduce can also (strangely) take 2 hits before returning to normal size, but if you've taken a hit and want to make your ship smaller again, you have to put yourself in danger to destroy the sheild, in order to get a new one- Hence, the Full Sheild special reduces this danger. Alternately, Bomb is just handy for those tight situations.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I usually go with Reduce...as for the special, I used to go with Full Shield, but kept hitting walls stupidly near the end, so I actually used Speed Down when I first managed to 1CC the first round.
Ceph

Re: What sheilds/specials do you use in GIII?

Post by Ceph »

-Slayer- wrote:I'm talking about the SNES version here (Don't have the Arcade version).

I usually go with Reduce and Full Sheild/Bomb. How about you?

I do this because the other sheild types make the Viper's hit box alot larger, and hence, don't have as much effect. Reduce can also (strangely) take 2 hits before returning to normal size, but if you've taken a hit and want to make your ship smaller again, you have to put yourself in danger to destroy the sheild, in order to get a new one- Hence, the Full Sheild special reduces this danger. Alternately, Bomb is just handy for those tight situations.
I don't think anyone else is using a sheild.

It's just you.

PS. I hear Michael Jackson likes to use a child.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

I am using full barrier. Then for the ! I use shield - It highlights when my shield takes a hit. When I collect I will select it when I get ! if my shield takes a hit. It help me keep a fresh shield for long time :)

This is for SNES
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Reduce, every time. It's got the benefit of a reduced hitbox but doesn't make you forfeit the extra hits of the other shields. The way it's used in the Arcade version (a tradeoff between hitbox size and multiple hits) makes more sense from a gameplay perspective, but the SNES way makes it tons easier.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Reduce.
Brett

Post by Brett »

For my money, nothing comes even close to picking energy laser + rotate options + reduce + full shield. It makes it very hard for anything to hit you, has great offensive power, and lags the game like crazy making certain parts a lot easier. :)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

This looks like it belongs in Strategy.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos