Geist Force - a Dreamcast shmup that never came out,

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
gigadrive32

Geist Force - a Dreamcast shmup that never came out,

Post by gigadrive32 »

but should have.

This is the game that I wanted more than Gradius 5.....

It's called Giest Force, for the Dreamcast. but it was canned cancelled in 1999.

Giest Force made its first appearance at E3 1998 when Dreamcast was had its first U.S. showing. At that time, Giest Force (not called Geist Force then) appeared as a pre-rendered CGI FMV sequence that was ultra smooth, ultra sleek.

what you see above is the real-time game version, called Giest Force, first seen in Japan in the fall of that year (1998).
Last edited by gigadrive32 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:24 am, edited 9 times in total.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

here is the biggest description that I can find of the famous Dreamcast "E3 shooter" which was later concluded to be pre-rendered CGI FMV, which was used to hype the realtime Geist Force game pictured above.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/ ... 0527000000
Then casually, as he walked off, Stolar said he would like to show us the latest work of one of Sega's American teams. "Bear in mind," he cautioned, "this is only using 20% of the system's capacity".

The screen came to life and we were plunged into the most incredible 3D space world ever seen. It was obviously a 3D shoot 'em up, from a third-person panzer-style viewpoint. The craft was a hyper-detailed X-wing style fighter (very large on screen). It swooped behind a huge spider creature scuttling through a canyon. This was enormous. This was in three seconds - the audience, genuinely, gasped and then laughed in delight. No such reaction had accompanied Tower of Babel. This was truly in another world.

The scenes flicked rapidly. Now the craft was careering through an asteroid field. Dozens of asteroids seamlessly animated. The crafted swooped below down into a cavern which concealed a huge metallic structure. the amount of movement on screen only ever seen before during FMV sections but you could TELL it was realtime.

We then had a glimpse of a craft select screen, hinting that ground-based player units were also available.

Next we saw third-person flybys of the craft battling hundreds of on-screen objects. We flew past huge floating islands with cities built on top of them.

The finale of this 30-second opus, was an astounding boss encounter. The craft came in behind a huge diaphanous jellyfish, its translucent bell billowing out before us. Like nothing ever seen before.

Reflecting afterwards, Paul Davies and myself agreed that the resolution was unprecendented, and that we saw no pop-up or fogging at all. This is not in the same league as 3DFX-driven games, smart-looking as they are. The jellyfish showed how 'real' Dreamcast can be. As for Model 2, Model 3 - these comparisions are now REDUNDANT. This machine can do VF3 standing on its head. The game we saw looked better than any Model 3 game out there.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Looks pretty cool, but not a shmup.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Off-topic, eh, since it's a rail shooter?

I remember the creators said they were heavily inspired by Star Fox. The pilots were just humans though and they had very average portraits. Strangely enough, those pictures shown look better than the pictures I remember seeing in 1999 mags.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

There are videos of it floating around. Yakumo from Assembler has one on his FTP. Check it out.
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

wow... i dont remember seeing this game. I might have seen these screens before, but quickly forgot due to its canning

it would be awesome if it came out, or some of the code ended up in the right persons hands and was released with it being half done on some Ebay thing. I dont know why, but i hav a craving for all of the unreleased titles.
GaijinPunch wrote:There are videos of it floating around. Yakumo from Assembler has one on his FTP. Check it out.
who and where???..... i couldn't find a scratch of info through a few searches on the net. Do you have any links to the Vids, i dont believe i ever saw them, even if they are only FMV,.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

OptimusPrimeX wrote:I dont know why, but i hav a craving for all of the unreleased titles.
Aww, you just missed a Robotech Crystal Dreams dev cart on Ebay.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Yeah lets see some vids of it in action if there are any working links about.
Vidi Vici Veni
U K Narayan

Post by U K Narayan »

I remember alot about Geist Force. I've mentioned it here on this forum several times but I don't think anyone noticed.

I've seen videos of this back in the day, *whistles* it looked slick. :)
Approach your target and attack! Your mission starts now! ARE YOU READY!?
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Yeah, someone please provide use with some movie footage! Please! :)
I'd be more interested in seeing ingame footage though! :? Or is this ïn-game"? :shock:

If so, it's not a shmup but looking pretty damn hot allright...:D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
U K Narayan

Post by U K Narayan »

Super Laydock wrote:Yeah, someone please provide use with some movie footage! Please! :)
I'd be more interested in seeing ingame footage though! :? Or is this ïn-game"? :shock:

If so, it's not a shmup but looking pretty damn hot allright...:D
I remember seeing in-game footage corresponding to the shots given, trust me, those are in-game. The FMV looks ALOT better.
Approach your target and attack! Your mission starts now! ARE YOU READY!?
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

I don't think I saw any clear shots of the prerendered CGI / FMV, maybe one or two small blurry shots.

does anyone have media (screens, video) of the CGI version ?
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

mannerbot wrote:Looks pretty cool, but not a shmup.
who knows? maybe Geist Force was evolving into a shmup. It was certainly a shooter. obviously not like Gradius, Darius, R-Type or Thunder Force but could easily be put into the same catagory as arcade-only Solar Assault (aka Gradius Solar Assault) which looks somewhat similar

Last edited by gigadrive32 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

found another picture!

I don't know if this is from the actual realtime Geist Force game, or the prerendered CGI "E3 Shooter", but I am guessing its the prerendered version

edit: on second thought, I am now less certain it's prendered CGI, going by the larger version of the picture here:
http://www.geocities.com/wsttrollboy/geistforce.html
this page also has larger versions of some of the realtime screens.
Last edited by gigadrive32 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

wow, that is pretty! add it to the pile of DC games i want that were canceled (Half-life, Planet Harriers (rumor), that flight combat game AM2 did, the list goes on) and i wanna try out Solar Assault, that looks cool.
I have no sig whatsoever.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

I have both the flight combat game (Propeller Arena) and Half Life for Dreamcast. these games were finished, just not released commercially.

getting ahold of Geist Force would no doubt be MUCH more difficult. I highly doubt the game was even finished, as it was said to have been cancelled while still in development.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

and now, a collection of articles (and eventually also forum & usenet postings) on the Geist Force game, and the related CGI / FMV demo.

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/065/065241p1.html
Geist Force -- First Pics
Sega's fabled "E3 Shooter" gets shown at TGS
By IGN Staff

October 15, 1998 - Shown to an awe-stuck industry crowd prior to last May's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Geist Force was on display at the Tokyo Game Show in video-only form - and it's an almost entirely different game to the one we saw just five months ago.

Developed by Sega of America's internal studio and sporting cinematics by Netter Digital Entertainment, Inc, who also do the special effects for Babylon 5, Geist Force is an enormous 3D flying shooter set on an alien planet in the distant future. The game features hundreds of miles of 3D mountains, deep canyons, erupting volcanoes and rushing rivers. The game also offers full-3D special effects with true-to-life physics. When an explosion occurs, a player's ship and the objects in the immediate area will be jolted by the blast, as would occur in the real world.

The Tokyo Game Show demo was allegedly nearly 80% complete, but is largely unpopulated by enemies and suffers from occasional slowdown. What's odd is that the version shown at E3 was packed with enemies, was smooth as silk and was bristling with all sorts of special effects not in this version.

Needless to say, there's plenty of head-scratching going on, and there's even been talk that what we saw prior to E3 was actually pre-rendered footage and not a game utilizing 30% of Dreamcast's potential power.

Much can - and probably will - change with the game before its early December release rolls around in Japan. We'll keep you posted.
http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/068/068219p1.html
Geist Force Canceled
DC shooter is no more thanks to Sega quality control
By IGN Staff

May 21, 1999 - It appears that Geist Force, whose's status has been more uncertain than Oprah's dietary habits, has taken a flying leap of the cliff of gaming oblivion. A spokesperson from Sega told IGNDC that despite earlier rumors that the project was being handed to other programmers inside Sega after a recent internal shake-up, Sega COO Bernie Stolar recently decided the project was better left unfinished.

Prior to E3, Sega claimed the title was still on target for a September release with the system, but apparently after further examination early last week, Stolar decided to cancel the project as it simply did not live up to Sega's AAA billing. While it is certainly a bit depressing to see Geist fall by the wayside, it is nonetheless a positive sign to see Sega upholding some standard of quality for their titles.

Sega did manage to say that certain element of the title, such as art direction and certain gameplay aspects are being saved in hopes that they could be incorporated into later titles, but as of yet were not prepared to comment on what, if anything, they had in mind. We'll be sure to keep poking around, and you can expect the full scoop when it surfaces.

I think we can squarely place the blame of Geist Force's cancelation on then-SoA President Bernie Stolar. edit: actually, it might have been that Stolar simply announced the cancelation, and that it was SoJ's decision.

more:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec ... ode=source
Move beyond all the hot air and bs, and take a good hard look at what's been going on at SOA thus far. We've seen them bleeding executives left and right and having Ion Storm calibre product development disasters (the Gamefan revelation yesterday that Stolar has fired much of the Geist Force team after a year of delays to begin with is only the latest fiasco).

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec ... ode=source
Darien Allen May 20 1999, 12:00 am
rec.games.video.sega

I HATE that Geist Force was cancelled...

and I think the reason blows to high heaven "because it did not
possess the quality-level of the rest of Dreamcast's launch titles".

My brain must be getting addled, because I've gone around and round
with Mike Mullis on this one...and can't figure it out. Basically
Mike thinks the Starfox comparisons are bothering Sega. But if the
game is graphically superior and plays better...wouldn't all the
reviews have ended up saying this is what Star Fox for the N64 should
have been?
Last edited by gigadrive32 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Chakan too. grrr! :evil:

edit: come to think of it. after looking at screens again, it doesn't look as great as it once did. still looks badass though.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Yakumo from Assembler runs www.segagagadomain.com. Check out the movies section. You can get FTP info there. He's actually got a lot of very cool prototype videos. Geiest Force. Gun Valkyrie DC, Shenmue proto footage with Ryo riding the bicycle, etc. Check it out, bitches!
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

GaijinPunch wrote:Yakumo from Assembler runs www.segagagadomain.com. Check out the movies section. You can get FTP info there. He's actually got a lot of very cool prototype videos. Geiest Force. Gun Valkyrie DC, Shenmue proto footage with Ryo riding the bicycle, etc. Check it out, bitches!
thanks for mentioning that GaijinPunch. I did actually try logging into the FTP last night, but the connection failed from incorrect password. I'm assuming I did or did not do something correctly. will try again this afternoon.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Wow, looks like we missed out on one killer rail shooter. :(

Moving this to OT since rail/3D shooters belong there. Thanks for all the awesome info and pictures though, giga!
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

GaijinPunch wrote:Yakumo from Assembler runs www.segagagadomain.com. Check out the movies section. You can get FTP info there. He's actually got a lot of very cool prototype videos. Geiest Force. Gun Valkyrie DC, Shenmue proto footage with Ryo riding the bicycle, etc. Check it out, bitches!
your link for segagaga is kind of messed. it needs to be edited before it'll work.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

Dylan1CC wrote:Wow, looks like we missed out on one killer rail shooter. :(

Moving this to OT since rail/3D shooters belong there. Thanks for all the awesome info and pictures though, giga!

you're most welcome. although I do have to protest (politely) this being moved to off-topic. even though it wasnt confirmed Geist Force was a shmup, it couldve had shmup elements, and at least it was the same type of game as Solar Assault.

but oh well, if it has to stay here, then ok. :(
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Some of those art pics did have a very similar feel in skies of arcadia the floating water falls and in ecco the dolphin dotf the hanging waters level.

Maybe they were a source of inspiration?
Vidi Vici Veni
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Sorry for the bad link. Here it is:
http://www.segagagadomain.com

The username/password is posted on the site... I assume he's got a limit on how many people can connect at once.