Was: Finally got hori pad. Megaman Pack discussion/questions

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Dylan1CC

Was: Finally got hori pad. Megaman Pack discussion/questions

Post by Dylan1CC »

OK, bought Megaman Anniversary Collection way back in July thinking I could overcome the fire and jump buttons being reversed. After a week and a half of frustration I just could not get used to it. Anyways, I didn't have a PS2 (still don't in fact) and was saving money for a Progear board. Matt was gonna mod me a GC hori pad with switched A and B buttons but before I could send him the money he kinda disappeared into the surf and waves of Hawaii. Months of procrastinating went by and I got immersed in Progear, finishing Metroid Prime and delving into Shenmue.

Well, now thanks to d78 I finally have a modded GC hori pad with proper A and B for Mega Man.

*thumbs his nose at Capcom, the disc's porting house and Sony*

The hori pad is so nice, it far exceeded my expectations, melts right into your hand like a SNES pad and being able to play all the Mega Man titles on one convenient disc (convenient considering I am NOT taking Contra outta my 2nd blinker NES till I can afford a top loader...) with a switched SNES style pad = platform action nostalgia heaven. I am playing 3, 8 and 6 right now (I just wanna get six out of the way) then will work my way to 1, 5, 7, 4 and save 2 for last since it's my fave in the entire series and IMHO "The Empire Strikes Back" of the Mega/Rockman games.

I still say 2 is the best with 3 and 4 close behind. 2 because it just has so many cool sights and sounds never seen before in the series, the evil flame dogs in Woodman's stage, the jumping AT-ST style Walkers in Flashman's level, the giant Gutsdozer, the mech dragon and the best and most versatile Megaman weapon of all time...the Metal Blade. Such a cool weapon, love how it slices though multiple enemies and it lasts a really long time too.

2 and 3 also have the best soundtracks of all the games: Bubble Man, Air Man, Crash Man from 2 and Magnet Man, Shadow Man and Gemini Man from 3 are my top track picks. The music from the NES titles are right up there in brilliance with Hip Tanaka's work on Metroid: music that strecthes the guts of the NES's meager sound capibilities to the limit.

3 has great level design like 2 but the difficulty is tough as nails and the bosses are a little unforgiving and frustrating at times. 2 just feels more balanced while still throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you. 4 is also in my fave top 3 because it is the only game in the series IMHO that has Wily castle bosses that are as cool as 2's.

Also, even if you have the Anniversary pack, Rockman Megaworld for the MD is still worth it if you're an avid fan of the series. Even though the music is watered down and not as crisp as the 8-bit soundtracks, the 4 new Wily stages which let you mix any weapon or helper item from the first three games make up for it.

Anyways, my take: 2,3,4.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Matt still has my pad and money... ;_;
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Brian

Post by Brian »

You should contact Wander on the boards here, I think he knows Matt personally in Hawaii.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

CecilMcW00t wrote:Matt still has my pad and money... ;_;
Bummer, Cecil. :(

Don't let it get you down. Whatever you do, whether he finally mods it for you or you get your money back, try to get your hands on a switched hori pad. It's worth it.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

2 3 and 4 are definitely the best ones. One is good for the time, and also really hard, but the other ones kind of make it obsolete.

i don't think 4 gets enough credit. It has some great levels and BGM and the bosses are actually a threat to you! Not to mention the last boss being one of the coolest NES bosses i've ever seen.

3 might be the "best" one, but 2 is probably also my favorite, with me having the most nostalgia for it. when i was between the ages 7 and 10, i didn't do anything but play mega man 2. i remember every day being the same: go to school, come home, play mega man 2. at the time, i thought mega man 3 was too hard. but me and my brother slowly worked our way through it once we got a little older!

i can't believe what they've done to mega man recently. battle network!? PFFTTT
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I doubt that Matt is intentionally neglecting his "duty", Cecil. As it was mentioned above, get in touch with Wanderer and let him know. Good luck.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

OK thanks guys! I wasn't too worried, I know he got real busy at the time and he even let me know. But yeah, I'll talk to wanderer too.

And my fave MM is a tie between 2 and 5. MM2 has like the best soundtrack of them all imo and some awesome level design. While 5 provides a pretty decent challenge and some nice boss fights.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
it290

Post by it290 »

I don't know why people rag on MM6 so much. It has the energy distributor, and the jet adapter is cool, too. The music is also pretty good. To me, MM7 is easily the worst of the series.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

it290 wrote:I don't know why people rag on MM6 so much. It has the energy distributor, and the jet adapter is cool, too. The music is also pretty good. To me, MM7 is easily the worst of the series.
Dude, finally someone who feels the same way I do. MMVII had a really ugly hunch-necked Mega Man, crappy music past the first part, almost no inspiration in its small stages, and a stupid final boss that's far too luck based.

MMVI retained the difficulty last seen in MMIV (after the jokingly powerup-friendly MMV), had the best music of the NES MMs IMO, great boss patterns (although some uninspiring bosses), and a few new tools. Maybe not very innovative since there's little changes from MMIV and relatively far less changes than from MMI to MMII but that doesn't stop it from being the most refined MM on the NES.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Quick question, I just beat Mega Man III and finished watching the end credits. After hitting the X button it went back tot he main menu. What I wanna know is does the memory card silenty take note I beat the game? because after exiting the credits I didnt' see any kind of memory card prompt. I'm curious at which point the Inafune interview and other goodies are unlocked.
it290 wrote:I don't know why people rag on MM6 so much. It has the energy distributor, and the jet adapter is cool, too. The music is also pretty good. To me, MM7 is easily the worst of the series.
OK, after playing it more yesterday and beating a couple of bosses I am now biting my tongue. It's a lot better and tougher than I remember. I also can't believe I forgot about the Rush power suit which kicks ass. My only gripe so far is it seems awfully easy to get extra lives and enrgy tanks because of the power suit. Otherwise so far it's a lot more solid than I remember. The music is very good still also.