What else do you do besides shmupping? (rant)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
system11

Post by system11 »

JigsawMan wrote: Driving... mmmm... one of my favourite past times - how did I manage to miss that off? I don't have anything special. Just a 1.5 Mazda 323, but it does the job. Plus the cheapest unleaded fuel is now 83.9p /litre (thats $1.57/litre) it just proves to be too expensive to go for those 100 mile drives that I used to do so much a couple of years ago.
Yeah, it just keeps rising and rising. I have a 540i, not the most efficient car in the world, but one of the most comfortable. It hurts filling the tank up in any car over here, just happy I don't have to do many miles to get to work. They need to scrap road tax now that they're making so much cash from the fuel.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I play drums in two bands; one is a doom/sludge band called Griefcase and the other is drums, bass and noise tentatively called Not Your Fucking Friends. I also do noise as Mark of the Wounded and write a bit of fiction.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
FRO

Post by FRO »

Herr Schatten wrote:Besides the usual distractions (reading, watching TV), I put a lot of time into playing bass guitar in a rock band. Nothing too unusual except that we have an electric violin player instead of a lead guitarist (the violin is electric, not the player) and that our singer is remarkably talented.

Great hobby, gives me plenty of opportunities to wear my R-Type shirt on stage.
Do you guys have a Mark Wood "Voodoo Violince" sound, or less hard rock than that?

Myself, I play video games of other types, design websites, work (all the time), go to church, I'm involved in a local civic organization (volunteer work), and love movies/music/tv.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I collect baseball cards and watch a ton of wrestling. Plus, I'll be starting school in the fall so all of that including gaming will probably be out the window.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

I dunno if designing shmups counts as not shmupping, so I won't say that...Wait, I just did. Crap.

Seriously though, I also play other game genres, mainly action and RPG (Currently, I'm doing a lot of Devil May Cry 3).

I also occassionally do online roleplaying in a certain community. And, well...That's really about it. >.>;
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
dboeren

Post by dboeren »

I play european style boardgames (see boardgamegeek.com for more info), and take martial arts classes twice a week in the evenings. I am studying shinkendo, which is a modern japanese sword style. Not related in any way to kendo, which is the sport with bamboo swords.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
Brian

Post by Brian »

I watch tons and tons of baseball , football and NCAA basketball. Recently, I spend every waking non-working moment with my infant son and wife and I bowl on Sunday.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I'm a musician (guitarist), while I'm not part of an actual "band", I'am a member of the Vodkatron soundteam. I'm also interested in things that rumble and go fast...like old classic cars/hotrods, including custom motorcycles. I even appreciate those "Fast and the Furious" types.
I'm pretty good with working on em too, just not a master. Racing is even more fun.

Some others things... I enjoy collecting car "race n' chase" movies,mostly from the 70's.
I used to be really big on tropical/marine fish. I had two aquariums, one was a 55gal salt water, and the other 55gal fresh.
I've had everything from Banded Coral Shrimp(hand tame!!) to Moray Eels,Sea Anemonies, Volitain Loin Fish, etc, etc.
As for fresh water, my favorites inlcude Clown Loaches,Cichlids,Gouramies. BTW: Puffer Fish amaze me, I don't know why.

I no longer have pet fish, but I still have "exotic pets"(other than dog n cat).
I have two Columbian Boa Constrictors, that I've raised since they were 4 weeks, so basically little handfulls...now much bigger.
The largest pet snake I had was Sandy, which she was a Bermese Python. Again, I raised here from a baby. She was VERY friendly and loved attention. I no longer have her, as she had come down with Salmonella (deady for snakes) she was 15 ft long when I buried her in the backyard.

I used to work at an exotic pet shop, so I'm knowledgable about these animals, and most things that would make people freak out, I'm comfortable handling or being around. Yes, I've held large spiders,Scorpions,lizards etc.
Birds/ parrots are cool too, although I no longer have any of those type critters.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Oh, I also like to chase and jump around old people
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

uh kidding.... lol

heres someting i painted a few years ago, i'm better now (obviously :) ) but havnt got any more recent photoes printed

Image[/img]
dpful

Post by dpful »

Last edited by dpful on Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kemical

Post by kemical »

captain ahar wrote:in what capacity? duties i mean. this game looks really cool, and i cannot wait to get my copy.
mainly level design & related stuff, figuring out the combats in certain maps and cinematic moments etc..
hope you enjoy the game, I think it turned out pretty good, but its one of those things where I notice all the little bugs and things we could have done better.
if i happen to get more free copies I can let you know if you are still needing to get it. Right have I just have a couple pal versions for xbox. :\
MovingTarget wrote:heres someting i painted a few years ago,

very nice :D i have some friends back in chicago who have been doing a lot of that type of art for a long time.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

FRO wrote:Do you guys have a Mark Wood "Voodoo Violince" sound, or less hard rock than that?
Um, I never heard of that man, so I can't really answer. Concerning the hardrocky-ness of our sound, I'd place us somewhere between Skyclad and the Levellers, but with much less Folk influences in the music and a female singer.

You can download a short teaser track with a collection of several little snippets from our last demo cd in the "media" section of our website (right click and "save as"): http://www.orcshop.de
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Right now, most of my gaming time has been spent on World of Warcraft, (I have a L54 hunter, L20 mage and L17 druid on the Alliance side of Garona) although I have also picked up a number of other console games. I also picked up a DS last week, and have been messing with that some. I tend to think these days that I buy stuff more to collect it than to play it extensively. Other than that, I'm a bit of a gadget junkie (PocketPCs in particular) and I also spend a lot of time out wandering semi-aimlessly around town and exploring in areas I may not be familiar with. I also occasionally dabble in digital artwork, but given the fact that it tends to be time-intensive I don't do a whole lot of that.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
BAD

Post by BAD »

Hardcore shows, lifting weights, and writing.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Um, I never heard of that man, so I can't really answer. Concerning the hardrocky-ness of our sound, I'd place us somewhere between Skyclad and the Levellers, but with much less Folk influences in the music and a female singer.

You can download a short teaser track with a collection of several little snippets from our last demo cd in the "media" section of our website (right click and "save as"): http://www.orcshop.de
Have you ever heard Remains of the Day? His Hero is Gone style crusty punk with a violin. http://www.cahrecords.com/
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Well long distance running and hitting the weights. I also like to read "subversive" books like Slaughterhouse Five, Catch 22, and Breakfast of Champions. I also play videogames other than shmups but there's not much time for that so I try to concentrate on shmups.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

MovingTarget wrote:Image[/img]
i like it. nice job on the highlights. i sure love the graffiti. :oops:
I have no sig whatsoever.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

cheers :)
adam76

Post by adam76 »

Working for the pittance that my boss thinks constitutes a basic wage takes up most of the hours that God sends, but in between this and shmupping, im into:

-music (anything from Black Flag to Sebadoh to Scott Walker)
-films (again,anything but particuarly the 'Noir' genre)
-football (MASSIVE Man utd fan but i watch alot of spanish and italian footy too!)
-cooking (i'm no Gordon Ramsey, as my long-suffering girlfriend will testify, but its edible and no ones yet doubled up with stomach cramps! :D )

I guess theres loads of other stuff too but the above pretty much takes up the bulk of it!
"What the hell kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper? I have seen some slip-shod, backwater burgs, but this place takes the cake."
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

No one cooks stir fry as good as me, NO ONE!

Apart from the guy who taught me everything he knew about the art of stirfry making.

Cooking stir fry is like making love to a beautiful shmup. Its quick, intense and uhh very tasty

:disclaimer: I'm currently not responsible enough to be responsible for my own actions...
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

man i can be a fucking idiot sometimes :lol:
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Aside from shmupping, I usually draw...a LOT...with pencil and markers.
I also like to update my site once in a while

And I like to go walk outside a lot, since I live next to a pretty decent-
sized park.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Apart from Shmups I'm into

Workin out
Fighting full contact
Learning martial arts
fighting other martial arts styles
pretty much anything with kicks in it. films etc
weight lifting