Super Star Shooter Advance

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
druuna

Super Star Shooter Advance

Post by druuna »

Woooow....finally a good shooter for the gba....but only 2 minutes fun :(
this game it's an homebrew japan shmup for the gba, basically it's a 2 minute time attack game, but technically I think it's the best shmup ever created for the gba.Great fun here ;)

http://www10.big.or.jp/~and/
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Oohh, it'd be like having Super Star Soldier's 2-minute mode on the go. Yummy. Makes me wish I had a flash cart...

(added after playing the game for a while)

I would pay good money for that. It's heavily copied from SSS, I think some graphics are straight rips but it's still a sweet game. Felt really nice, and would make a -perfect- coffee break at work. 2 minutes and that's it. I really need to look how much those flash thingies go for.

Oh, and the score from my first run was 308,770. Unfortunately my laptop's so crappy VisualBoyAdvance would only rut it at 60% of real speed...sigh.

Edit #2: High-score 400,610 :D
Last edited by Ghegs on Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

2 mins. It reminds me of that Solder Blade special mode for the TG-16. You have 5 mins to bet this hard stage. It was fun. :D
druuna

Post by druuna »

It seems this game is a porting of 2 old sharp x68000 homebrew shmups:
super star shooter ver. 1.0
super star shooter ver. 2.0

more info here:

http://www4.big.or.jp/~macgyver/work.shtml
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Oh man, that is an amazing game.

I got my high score during my first run, and couldn't break it even after playing 10 or 12 times more: 307,700.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I added the game to my PCE Caravan Games high-score thread and took the liberty of adding alpha's score there (as well as my own), hope you don't mind. :wink: Ya'll join in, now.

Like with most Score Attacks, getting the big points is all about the bonuses - in SSSA there's at least two:

When the enemy that comes in four parts around the screen assembles itself, stick to the center of the screen and destroy it from within for a bonus.

The traditional "eyes" are there as well, soon after the enemy mentioned above there are two big, red installations. Destroy them at the same time for a bonus.

While I haven't confirmed this yet, it's probably not a good idea to get any more than 5 power-ups. After that, you get the screen-clearing bomb, but that costs you a second or two in time so it's not worth it. At least that's how it is in Super Star Soldier.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
druuna

Post by druuna »

Great idea Ghegs!
I'm going to have a few hours with SSSAdvance tomorrow and try beat your scores :twisted:
I think you forgot "Summer Carnival '92 - RECCA" for NES in your highscore topic, in my opinion this is the best carnival game ever....but I love Alzadick and Nexzr too.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

You beat me to it Ghegs. I was planning on starting a high-score thread.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

What a great little game. Worked well enough in the emulator I'm very tempted to look into what it takes to play this on the real thing.

I've been so long into playing java I'm a little scared about getting into homebrew but I wouldn't mind doing small "studies" in shooting on the GBA, DC or GC. Just for the fun of it of course :D

Bill
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I've added Recca to the high-score thread, along with my Nexzr scores now that I got my faithful Duo-R back from the repairshop. :twisted: I also changed the name of the thread to simply "Caravan Games" now that there's more than just PCE games in there.

Bring forth your challenge.

My videos
druuna

Post by druuna »

great game...really
my highscore is 305,860
I think bombs if used at the right time could be useful for scoring.
druuna

Post by druuna »

Good news...super star shooter for the PSP ;-)

SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

It's been a tech demo since... June2005.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

druuna wrote:Good news...super star shooter for the PSP ;-)

And where's the link so I may d/l this cool "Super Star Shooter" for the PSP? ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

There is none, PCEFX. It's a tech demo.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Damn! It has Naxat-style explosions! I'm playing it on my F2A Advance cart. WTF! I wont more! Total SSS goodness!

:D
PC Engine Fan X!

Nate wrote:Damn! It has Naxat-style explosions! I'm playing it on my F2A Advance cart. WTF! I wont more! Total SSS goodness!

:D
For Nate,

Does the "Super Star Shooter ADV" GBA mini game run at 60 frames-per-second framerate? And all this in 240 x 160 resolution presentation? (Holy shit, not bad for such douijin GBA shmup title...) ^_~

And how does it look on the Gameboy Player accessory for the Gamecube console? ^_~

Damn, guess it about time to pick up a GBA flash cart... ^_~

And what GBA flash cart/hardware are you using to play that cool "SSS-ADV" mini game? (I'm sure our fellow shmuppers who are intrigued with your GBA flash cart setup would like to know more like myself...) ^_~

Sure, I've got the classic TG-16 versions of Super Star Soldier & Soldier Blade -- awesome shmup titles with both the 2 minute & 5 minute mini shmup games to boot -- aim for the high score! ^_~

Thank you for your answers in advance..... ^_~

-------------------------------
Updated: 4-13-2007

Or the other alternative for me would be d/l a good GBA emulator for my firmware 1.50 PSP and just run this "SSS-ADV" rom with that particular setup -- shouldn't be that hard, hmmm? ^_~
-------------------------------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Nate's Flash cart is called Flash2Advance [F2A] for short, just to clarify, PCEFX.
Seb@s

Post by Seb@s »

it's just Awesome o_O

beautifull design, music & gameplay on my DS :D
>> more Video Game Music DJ MIXES (my Youtube Channel)
Nate

Post by Nate »

To PCEFX:

1) Yeah, to the best of my knowledge, it's that fast. No lag. Everything is clear as a bell and bright.

2) Have not played it on the GBP, but I'm sure it looks fantastic.

3) SFKhoa sed it: It's a 512 meg flash cart. Got it at http://www.linker4u.com. Have not crammed multiple games on it yet.

Here's the crappy thing: It's only a 2 minute game demo. I really wish they'd complete the ROM someday. I emailed them last night. Not sure if they've replied yet. Maybe I should check.

I was messing around on gbadev.org last night uploading test ROMs of various homebrews. That was pretty damn fun!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Nate wrote:Here's the crappy thing: It's only a 2 minute game demo. I really wish they'd complete the ROM someday. I emailed them last night. Not sure if they've replied yet. Maybe I should check.
Demo? That's the whole game right there. It's a caravan game.

My videos
Nate

Post by Nate »

You know you're right.

Sorry. :oops:

Frickin' love it!
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Ghegs wrote:
Nate wrote:Here's the crappy thing: It's only a 2 minute game demo. I really wish they'd complete the ROM someday. I emailed them last night. Not sure if they've replied yet. Maybe I should check.
Demo? That's the whole game right there. It's a caravan game.
No caravan can be complete without a 5 minute mode! D:
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

How do you get to play Playstation 3 to PSP download service on japanese game? I mean is it possible to get games like Gunners Heaven and Hard Edge 2 on your PSP whitout having to live in Japan?
PC Engine Fan X!

For SFKhoa,

Thanks for all of your amazing help... ^_~

SSS-Adv works like a charm on the PSP -- like the cool replay option that's used as the demo. Very nice, polished & professional GBA douijin caravan shmup title. And yes, a 5 minute caravan mini game option would've been ace to have been included as well..... ^_~

Just goes to show that kind of shmup magic in the talented hands of shmup developers can do for the GBA platform -- a glorified tribute to the classic Hudson Soft produced "Super Star Soldier" shmup title for the PCE/TG-16 platform..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
sfried

Post by sfried »

Now if only I had a Flash cart. This thing on my Micro = Pint sized shmupage.
PC Engine Fan X!

Super Star Shooter Advance has PCE gameplay elements

After playing with this Super Star Shooter Advance homebrew title for a while, my observations tell me that that at least two classic PC Engine shump titles were heavily used/borrowed/implemented into this SSS-Adv GBA title:

Hudson Soft's Super Star Soldier (sprites and overall graphical appearance)

and

Soldier Blade (certain powered-up configurations of your ship and certain enemy placement + some general enemy group movement patterns)

And how does one get this mysterious 80,000 point bonus in SSS-Adv GBA title added to his or her overall score?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

Lawfer wrote:How do you get to play Playstation 3 to PSP download service on japanese game? I mean is it possible to get games like Gunners Heaven and Hard Edge 2 on your PSP whitout having to live in Japan?
You downgrade your PSP, install a custom firmware, rip whatever PS1 game you want to your PC, convert the iso using a utility, and finally move the converted ISO from your PC to the PSP via a usb cable.
Ghegs

Re: Super Star Shooter Advance has PCE gameplay elements

Post by Ghegs »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:And how does one get this mysterious 80,000 point bonus in SSS-Adv GBA title added to his or her overall score?
There's at least two 80k bonuses:

When the enemy that comes in four parts around the screen assembles itself, stick to the center of the screen and destroy it from within.

The traditional "eyes" are there as well, soon after the enemy mentioned above there are two big, red installations. Destroy them at the same time.

My videos
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Super Star Shooter Advance has PCE gameplay elements

Ghegs wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:And how does one get this mysterious 80,000 point bonus in SSS-Adv GBA title added to his or her overall score?
There's at least two 80k bonuses:

When the enemy that comes in four parts around the screen assembles itself, stick to the center of the screen and destroy it from within.

The traditional "eyes" are there as well, soon after the enemy mentioned above there are two big, red installations. Destroy them at the same time.
For Ghegs,

Wow, that's another extra 160,000 pts. to add to my score..... ^_~

Thanks again for that SSS-Adv scoring tip...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~