Enable Vsync in nvidia 7950 GT for Windows 2D Shooters...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ST Dragon
Banned User

Enable Vsync in nvidia 7950 GT for Windows 2D Shooters...

Post by ST Dragon »

Hello,
I’m using WinnXP PRO SP-2, an nvidia GeForce7950 GT 512MB, 93.71 nvidia drivers and an EIZO S1931 19” TFT/LCD monitor @60HZ Digital display.
What I need to do is to always have Vsync on and Triple Buffering enabled by default, for all 2D non OpenGL applications and games. For example, 2D Windows based vertical scrolling shooters, like Kamui, Raiden.

I need this in order to eliminate the bothersome tearing effects seen in 2D games, when the screen in scrolling vertically or horizontally.

After searching through the Classic NVIDIA Control Panel, in the Performance & Quality Settings menu, I noticed that you can create a new profile and have Vsync and triple buffering always on by default, but these settings only take effect when an OpenGL application is being used.

So, is there any way to always have vsync and triple buffering on by default for all 2D WinXP games? (Non OpenGL/D3D applications)

Thanks in advance.
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
icepick

Post by icepick »

I'm definitely not the expert on this, but I think that VSync and triple buffering are exclusively 3D rendering implementations. I ran a couple of Web searches ("windows xp vsync," "vsync lcd," "vsync directdraw") and it seems that if it's not a 3D application and it doesn't use DirectDraw or isn't fullscreen, then there might not even be an application-level setting (as in game options) to control something like VSync.

What frame rate are you getting in the games? It might be that the game is not updating its display buffer before your monitor refreshes the image, but I'm fairly sure that whichever CPU you have, that it can handle it. The game itself might be the problem. I'd wait for someone else's input, and maybe try lowering the refresh rate of the LCD to 60 Hz (it seems that the display technology itself doesn't refresh the screen in the same way as CRT, but it still needs to poll the video card to get new information at specific intervals).

You could also perhaps check the "DXDiag" application (if they still use that in Windows XP) in the DirectX directory (or somewhere). There could be a useful option in there for adjusting DirectDraw features. Good luck!
\\ /\/\ \
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

I'm using an Intel C2D 2.4ghz cpu and my tft displays @60HZ. When kamui is being played, the monitor refresh rate is specifically set to 59.6HZ and the game frame rate looks smooth at 60FPS (640x480 full screen) but there is some tearing present!

Most 2D emulators like Mame allow you to enable Vsync & triple buffering in DirectDraw, so I'm sure it can be done for other 2D WinXP games aswell.
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
icepick

Post by icepick »

Very peculiar. From what I've seen, though, it might indeed be a setting on an application-level basis... so, if the developers didn't include the option (as most emulator developers have), then you might be out of luck.

The closest thing that I have access to is a Windows 2000 installation; I ran DXDiag from the "run" prompt and after looking around a bit, there seems to be an option in the "more help" tab which allows overriding of the DirectDraw refresh rate. It allows only whole numbers from 40 to 120, but you might try a few settings to test it out. If you can set your refresh rate to 60 Hz, and the game is running at 60 FPS, and you override the DirectDraw refresh to 60 as well, maybe things could work out.

(Note that after further reading, I found that any type of VSync will introduce a small amount of lag, which makes sense in retrospect, given the way that VSync and triple-buffering work.)
\\ /\/\ \